Max No.of Passangers - 1 with some of my office files and other things

Boot space Importance - low to medium

Usage by - enthusiast

Ownership - City

Safety - anything

Prime requirement - Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS/Resale

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - none

Hello guys,

I need an old second car for maximum one or 1 and 1/2 years. That's why I need good resale value. I checked out a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI 2000 model today. It has done 55k on the odo but condition looked good. Most of the times the owner preferred local mechanic rather than Ford ASS. He's quoting 1.9 lacs.

There's another another Ikon 1.3 Flair 2005 model being offered. The owner is an auditor for Rajshri Ford here in Coimbatore. So he says that it has been serviced very well for all these years. It has also got rear parking sensors, alloy wheels etc. Odo - 75k . Price quote 2.15 lacs. I think that is too high.

What do you guys think?? After reading so much abt expensive Ford ASS. I am so apprehensive abt Ikon. This is my first job. So I am being too cautious on my first big purchase. This would be just my temporary car, as I am planning to book swift vdi or I may wait for the new Fiesta hatchback.

Any help would be highly appreciated.   smiley32.gif

Mileage is not a big problem as I get arnd Rs 10/km from my company for official tours. And my area includes Ooty also. So you know.

That temptation of driving to Ooty and Kodaikanal is one factor that is in favour of Ikon 1.6. But I am scared that after 1 year I might not find any buyer for this car to sell off to. And if I have incur any major expense on some part...ohh that is scary smiley11.gif

@AMG1, sorry buddy but no TATA for me. Sorry to add this before I am slightly inclined towards a hatch. As I am in a field job, I have to travel an avg of 40 km daily. And sometimes in crowded city areas. Sometimes I even think of going for an alto, but that driver in me does not allow that. ;)

With such a budget, you can opt for used,

1. Hyundai Santro

2. Maruti WagonR 1.1

3. Maruti Esteem

4. Maruti Zen old

5. Hyundai Getz old.

other than Alto

Stay away from Ikon. Not the best car when it comes to preowned market. Spares and service costly too. Also I feel that the idea that hills and ghats will require very powerful cars is not true always. A peppy car will do.

I think you are right. Going for a maruti hatch would be a wiser decision. I had almost booked a Ford Figo Tdci Titanium few days back.

But then went to check Honda Brio. It has got an 88 bhp engine, better build quality and I was not too put off by that weird rear. And also read on some site that Fiesta hatch might also be launched soon in India. And that swift D has a much better engine than figo tdci. So I guess I shall wait for a few months for a new car.

Till then, according to your advice I am now looking for a used alto k10 in the market. I know ABT maruti dealer here. So they might help me in getting an old alto.

So much dilemma yaar   smiley5.gif

College days were so much better.

With such a budget' date=' you can opt for used,1. Hyundai Santro2. Maruti WagonR 1.13. Maruti Esteem4. Maruti Zen old5. Hyundai Getz old.other than AltoStay away from Ikon. Not the best car when it comes to preowned market. Spares and service costly too. Also I feel that the idea that hills and ghats will require very powerful cars is not true always. A peppy car will do.

[/quote']

When it comes to driving pleasure, which one is better ??

Wagonr 1.1 or Alto k10 (I know I am stupid seeking driving pleasure among these two ) smiley1.gif

I can get a 2010 alto k10 for around 2.8 to 2.9 lacs I guess. And after a year sell it off for around 2.5 to 2.6 lacs. What do you guys think ?? Is it wise call ??

You should go for the Alto k10. Peppy Engine + Light Car +good handling = Drivers Delight. It would be the better drivers car compared to the Wagon R.

Yeah you're right. Today even went to a Maruti True Value dealer, but they didn't have any k10 alto. Told me that they are in the process of completing the formalities and that they should get one in 2-3 days. wish I could contact the original owner before he approached them.

And another one was available on internet sites but just when I called the owner, someone had already contacted him and he was just finishing the formalities of selling it to him.   smiley19.gif

A very weird suggestion from me.

Hund for a very good palio for around 80k, actually you can get one easily. Have fun till your next hatch arrives and you should get atleast 60k by then, so on a whole a net loss of just 20k and you can enjoy Palio's power & handling for sometime.

Now an old car is no more an option for me. My dad is too wary of second hand cars. He wants me to buy a new one only. So, I've booked an alto k10 superior white color. But my mind is still saying to cancel the booking and get an old one instead. Comparing the purchase and resale price of of a new and an old alto k10, I would save around 20k if I go with an old one. But I guess, sometimes you have to listen to your parents.

Now something related to the bookin of the car. Here in coimbatore, maruti dealers have made a pact or something, that no one will offer any additional discounts other than the maruti official offers. Now no more discounts from the dealer side. Not even on accessories. WTF !! Shall I complain to the competition commision smiley2.gif

Your suggestion is actually very tempting. But you know that fiat A.S.S. This would be my first car and I don't know much abt the mechanical aspects of a car. I have driven only my father's car most of the times and that too when I wud go to my hometown from the college. And i've never got that car serviced myself. And by mechanical aspects I mean the things that one should know if he owns a 10 year old palio. If something goes wrong with the car then I would be an easy target for the mechanics or the service centre.

Buying a palio is good idea if you are enthusiast. But be ready for hunting spares and good service center. Some thing or the other normally goes wrong in old palios. Alto K10 is a very practical car. It accepts all the abuses and not much of care is required. It is indeed superior to the old Alto.Nice and peppy engine. But still you have to live with the pale interiors. It is very very comfortable for city use. I think you have made a wise decision. But remember that normally what i have seen in the resale market is that the car suffers more depreciation if sold immediately after the first year. I do not understand the reason for the same but still in reality atleast in Bangalore it happens.You can expect around 15-20% drop in the value after first year. May be since it is an Alto, it may have good resale value. Just google around and find out.