Satyajit

Dust smell from AC in Figo

Dear All,

Whenever I switch on the AC of my Figo, it smells dust for some time.
If I switch it off for 5 minutes and switch on again, the smell comes
again. I am not in Recirculation mode. Does the AC need cleaning? The
car is 8 months old and did only 4k kms.

If I keep only the fan running the smell do not come. Means the ducts are not dirty, it is the AC. 

Need some info here. If the AC needs cleaning, can I do it with
the dealer? Will it be chargeable to me? Or I can go to a nearby garage
and do it? If it is not expensive and not much of a hassle.

Than you very much for your input.

Regards,

Satyajit

Yes Satya, the Aircon needs some cleaning to be done. Get it done at the Ford's itself. Your car is new and you can get it done @ 5k service.

Regarding the time, it doesnot matter much whether the car is just 8 months old or 4k km done, it depends more on the weather conditions that prevail at your town - dusty/windy/etc and the places where you take the car. Get'em cleaned and serviced regularly buddy.

Firstly, always run the AC of your car in Recirculation mode, as it prevents the mixing of outside Hot, dusty air into the Conditioned Air by its AC.

Secondly, If the smell comes while switching on the AC, then it means the dust is accumulated on its AC pipes, which are located infront of Blower as you're already using its AC with fresh/outside air(=Non Recirculation mode).

When you switches on the AC, the water vapours starts coming onto to their surface, with dust & the blower throws it into the cabin via vents & hence you gets the Dusty Smell.

So, follow the change & feel the change. smiley20.gifdr_nishu2011-12-15 16:15:48

Dear All,

I visited the Ford dealer. They cleaned the air filter and the ducts. The smell has reduced but not gone completely. They said it will go in a day or two. They did not charge me anything.

They too asked me to use the AC in Recirculation mode always. As I was driving in fresh air mode, dust settled in.

But my question is, if we keep driving in Recirculation mode, there will be too much of CO2 in the cabin air, as the same air will be moving inside the cabin. The air becomes stale. How do you go about it?

Do all cars face this problem?

Regards,

Satyajit

Recirculation mode should not be used all the time.

You can try cleaning each vents with a powerful vacuum cleaner. Blowing into the vents would not be a good idea. Try sucking dusts out. If you have a proper clean garage, then you can try switching on the AC in fresh air mode for some time and then as you move out, switch back to recirculation mode.

Also, do you drive without AC too often ? Very less use of AC causes dust to enter cabin. Also it is recommended that you get your carpets(floor) vacuum cleaned and the dashboard cleaned with cleaning solution. Some of the solution does not allow dust to settle down. Spraying stuffs like air quik or ambi pur spray in the vents will also reduce the smell a bit.