saladin

The agony of being a Chevy Tavera

I've just returned from Dharamshala in HP. There I went exploring all the places around the town. I went from Pathankot to Dharamshala in an Innova, the ride, of course, was like butter. Then began the ordeal. My subsequent trips from the resorts to other places of interest were in a Tavera. A rock solid hard suspension ensured that I didn't get any chance to rest a muscle when I sat in the rear. I told my dad to give it a dekko and compare it to our ever so comfy Innova. His reply was that the vehicle had done over 67,000 km in testing terrain and on battered roads, and any vehicle would run down. Then, on my way back, I got a Qualis to ride in. The first thing I did was see how much it'd done: a whopping 2,00,000 and over, and in the same conditions. The ride in the rear? Not too good, but way better than that of the Tavera. Referred this to my dad and he admitted. Guess GM's got it all wrong in India, and that's where Toyota stole the show.

Recently I went to Shimla in a Innova with 150,000km on clock and the ride was impeccable compared to the one I had in Kolkatta in a brand new so called Lotus tuned Scorpio. The Innova had far less body lean on the hills of HP and felt taut and controlled everywhere. The Tavera shows its poorly designed aged leaf spring heritage.

the tavera is most suited as tourist taxis. astonishing fuel efficiency is what they want with no concern whatsoever to the ride quality or dated interiors.

the qualis remains a legend.........!!!

Travera was made to competite with Sumo which it has won and gets good FE which thirsty and no valued Innova does not give.

Yeah, sure... Some simply buy cars for FE, no matter even if its a wreck...

you must understand that there are some buyers for whom FE is of utmost concern. for you, it maybe space, performance, comfort or somthing else. similarly, there are prople who want a low cost motoring solution and the tavera makes sense for them... tavera maybe a wreck for some like you, but for them, its ideal... thats what i meant when i said all cars has it's pros and cons...

you must understand that there are some buyers for whom FE is of utmost concern. for you' date=' it maybe space, performance, comfort or somthing else. similarly, there are prople who want a low cost motoring solution and the tavera makes sense for them... tavera maybe a wreck for some like you, but for them, its ideal... thats what i meant when i said all cars has it's pros and cons...[/quote']

Open your eyes... slowly... that's it, nothing to worry... Now, see the big picture? I ain't the only one who thinks Tavera's junk...

Travera was made to competite with Sumo which it has won and gets good FE which thirsty and no valued?Innova does not give.

The Innova in my family returns 16kmpl on hwy, most of my friends with Innova get no less than 15kmpl and some manage 16kmpl as well. Thats pretty decent as compared to the Tavera which is crude in every sense. The engine is noisier, the ride is bad. So surprising to see that the old Qualis with same leaf springs and smaller 14" tires managed better ride and performance even with less bhp than Tavera.

does anybody get 16 kmpl on the highway in the innova other than Mr. gurkha? i find it strange because i have never managed to get more than 12 kmpl on the expressway at speeds of 80-90 kmph...

@ saladin: yes, i agree with you, and in fact, even i hate the tavera along with you. but its no junk or wreck, as i said, it has it's seperate class of buyers, the ones looking for FE than anything else. and though not as much as the toyota, chevrolet is a fairly reputed company and i am sure they wont offer a junk to its customers. for me, no SUV or MUV comes close to the tavera in the FE aspect.

You dont have any Innova or you probably don't know how to drive. How much do you get in your Scorpio, don't tell me 12 cause none get over 8-9.

Tavera is junk as compared to Innova but when compared to Scorpio and Sumo, it fares reasonably better.

@ Raj ,  it depends in your driving conditions and also the roads , if its a Expressway with a very good road condition and if driving is excellent like maintaining around 60 KMPH at 5th gear without AC one is sure to get 16KMPL or above it , i doubt wether the scorpio 2.6 CRDe willl be that Peppy and refined as the innova

Cheers!!!

@ vishnu: nobody can maintain 60 kmph on the expressway buddy, then that should be termed as "standard test conditions" like all companies do. with A/C and at speeds of 80-90 kmph, i get 12 kmpl... hey, i dont know whether you will believe, but the 2.6 CRDe is definetely more peppy and refined than the D-4D. the innova runs out of breath above 4000 rpm. have you tried the scorp?

@ gukha: i get 11 kmpl on the same roads in my 2.6 CRDe. yes, if you know to drive better, come down to mumbai and teach me drive, in the manner i get 16 kmpl in innova. and i'll teach you how to get 11 kmpl in scorp, fine?

Not interested, known fact that Scorpio returns less KMPL than Innova, no sense in worthless debate. With shorter gearing and lower RPMs, the Scorpio runs out of breath before the Innova and on top of that, the Innova stays composed at high RPMs unlike the I am going to self destruct engine of Scorpio.Gurkha2008-01-04 06:05:08

Coming to the topic. The Tavera is reduced to being a lower taxi player. But having said that, i quite like it, its compact, has 7-8 seats, FE is good. I even like its looks.

Yes I have a tendency for liking cars which most people despise. smiley17.gif

FRG

Well Gurkha Innova is better than Innova but no wonder the same specced Innova is 2.5lakhs costlier than Travera .If one had money then he could talk like you if he sees 2.5lakhs as nothing. (Its not a comment).

@ rssh: hey buddy, i agree to you. tavera has it's own class of buyers. and this is what i was trying to tell for quite some time. but its better we still dont debate on this issue as anything written in favour of any vehicle other than the innova turns out to be a ugly debate, as FRG pointed out...

Well Gurkha Innova is better than Innova but no wonder the same specced Innova is 2.5lakhs costlier than Travera .If one had money then he could talk like you if he sees 2.5lakhs as nothing. (Its not a comment).

In today's world, its all about monthly payments and even though 2.5L is more amount, you get way more vehicle than Tavera in every sense. Every taxi owner here are buying the far more reliable Innova shelling out the extra money for peace of mind, to them they would rather have a vehicle which gives them lakhs of trouble free service than one where they have to spend time shop which leads to loss for them. I will repeat, Tavera is certainly a better option than Sumo but then if the extra 2.5L can be squeezed out which by the looks many are doing so, Innova is a better buy.

By the way, for a certain person in this forum, its all about Scorpio, if Scorpio is not praised and considered superior to a world class Japanese product, then its just not right for him. smiley2.gifGurkha2008-01-05 15:03:48

monthly payments, all it does is make the burden lighter, not remove it. those having a budget for an alto cannot buy a innova cos of monthly payments. a 2.5 lakh amount is enough for those on a tight budget, especially tourist taxi owners to avoid the innova and its a good thing for us, innova owners...!!!

by the way, who is that person? everybody on this forum is aware that the innova is better as a overall product than the scorpio...