saladin

The agony of being a Chevy Tavera

agree with you gaurav...

many taxi owners are nowadays upgrading to the innova but that does not mean cheap cars should not be available. india still needs cheaper cars, tavera being one. also, tavera sells close to 1500 units per month, so that alone justifies that it does have its buyers.

Quote.........

i am proud of mahindra, let it make india proud.....

till now, only indians are expected to praise or go GAGA over japanese companies, we have to show them, even our products are worthy.

End Quote........ smiley2.gif

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=900&PN=1

Saare Jahan Se Acha........Japan Jai Bhar Mein. smiley36.gifGurkha2008-01-05 15:16:29

well in my case, i wrote that so that, not only mahindra, but even tata, bajaj and many others make india proud by their products abroad....

more and more such products should be launched abroad. initially maybe they wont meet success, but i am sure indians can give the japanese a tough fight eventually...   smiley32.gif

Step by step, Japan is quite far up the ladder as of today, lets start with China, Malaysia, Korea, Europe and then Japan. Long way to go as I see. Quite possible to achieve but it will need serious attitude and work ethic change. If you read the Mahindra Scorpio report, there is glaring example of oversight and poor pathetic quality control, Mahindra is not alone in this, quite common in Tata as well. Even though the Japanese fare much better in India due to their policies, our brand new Innova was delivered without a passenger side seat belt. Typical poor quality control jobs. Problem in India is lack of conscience and responsibility from top to bottom and the sense of pride in workmanship. No one will be held responsible for a glaring ommision like this.

Years back the bullet train got late by 15 minutes due to a station master's fault. That station master commited suicide in shame. Thats what makes the Japanese special.Gurkha2008-01-05 15:29:35

i think only mahindra and bajaj can do something in this respect.

tatas are useless, they just know how to sell cheap crude cars, that is the reason the only cars they sell is indica and indigo, both cheap in their respective segments. their safari barely sells.

i always see Gurkha to keep figting in the threads to support Japanese car makers and oppose anything else. however it doesnt show he is argumentative rather it shows his passion towards automobiles, engines in specific

Mahindra is not anything better than Tata, don't deceive yourself. Did you see how poorly it was finished inside the test Scorpio. Most of the Scorpio plastics break in few months of ownership so why single out Tata. I find both have same inferior quality workmanship and quality control and poor materials.

Going by Bajaj's resale value over Honda, its a clear indicator of Bajaj's poor workmanship.

both tata and mahindra have poor build quality, but when compared, mahindra build better cars and has a ability to sell expensive cars more than the tata. also, mahindra makes better engines and last longer than tata vehicles. indicas, sumos, safari all are problematic, not that mahindras are perfect, but they are more reliable than tatas.

Considering the myriads of engine failures on DP as well as Scorpio and around the same with Safari, I would consider both even. Of course the Indigo is another story, its far less reliable than anything else out there.

Are you aware of timing chain break issue in Scorpio engine, or the fact that the diesel heater breaks often and so does the ECU, or the dreaded failure of the elecronic 4WD switch which I have seen few of my friends suffer during our 4WD outings. Also the front wheel drive coupling on 4WD comes loose during heavy duty off road outings on Scorpio. Its a common complaint yet to be addressed by Mahindra. Also the inner tire wear on frotn tires is a common complaint which Mahindra dealers tell you its normal. So along with Safari's complaints, Mahindra has a long way to go. Also the sad fact is that compalints are not addressed promptly nor are recalls, in case of Toyota, what makes it good is their almost paranoid recalls. For a small thing like surface rust, or loose ignition tubler, they will do mass recalls. Not the case with Safari or Scorpio. You have to prod customer service and dealers to get any answers. The Scorpio CRDe has oil consumption issues....almost one liter of oil every 1500km which is high but the company tells you its all normal. So both have long way to go.

I've just returned from Dharamshala in HP. There I went exploring all the places around the town. I went from Pathankot to Dharamshala in an Innova' date=' the ride, of course, was like butter. Then began the ordeal. My subsequent trips from the resorts to other places of interest were in a Tavera. A rock solid hard suspension ensured that I didn't get any chance to rest a muscle when I sat in the rear. I told my dad to give it a dekko and compare it to our ever so comfy Innova. His reply was that the vehicle had done over 67,000 km in testing terrain and on battered roads, and any vehicle would run down. Then, on my way back, I got a Qualis to ride in. The first thing I did was see how much it'd done: a whopping 2,00,000 and over, and in the same conditions. The ride in the rear? Not too good, but way better than that of the Tavera. Referred this to my dad and he admitted. Guess GM's got it all wrong in India, and that's where Toyota stole the show.[/quote']

The tavera is just becoming another Tata Sumo - a passenger carrier. These also ply as taxis alongwith Mahindra Savaris and Tata Sumos in the Siliguri- Gangtok sector. Its like that in many other cities. Even the Qualis was ergonomically and technically I believe, more refined than the Tavera.

I thought the Sumo ushered in an age in Indian road transport. The Tavera, though (prob because of heavy competition) hasn't been able to achieve despite its positives. I remember going gaga over the Sumo because it was big. But I hink the Tatas lost the art of making good- looking cars after the Sierra and the Estate. They simply looked beautiful and standard.

we just confirmed a trip to Yercaud in my friends Innova next month.... Yercaud is a hill station in tamil nadu, know for the hair pin bends and awesome roads.... its like a drivers choice for holiday in tamil nadu. am sure, am gonna remember this thread all the way along smiley2.gif.... will be sure to post my comments too

we just confirmed a trip to Yercaud in my friends Innova next month.... Yercaud is a hill station in tamil nadu' date=' know for the hair pin bends and awesome roads.... its like a drivers choice for holiday in tamil nadu. am sure, am gonna remember this thread all the way along smiley2.gif.... will be sure to post my comments too[/quote']

its good to see that you got an Innova  , so you will have a comfrtable jorney all way long , Happy and safe Journey

Regards,
priya

we just confirmed a trip to Yercaud in my friends Innova next month.... Yercaud is a hill station in tamil nadu' date=' know for the hair pin bends and awesome roads.... its like a drivers choice for holiday in tamil nadu. am sure, am gonna remember this thread all the way along smiley2.gif.... will be sure to post my comments too[/quote']

hi all.... we finisht the trip this weekend. it was just a two days trip from Bangalore to Yercaud.... well first let me say that the innova ride quality was too awesome... we were eight in the car including me, the DD... we started from bangalore friday midnight, the road from krishnagiri to dharmapuri is too bad, due to the construction of four lane. the same road i have driven many a times in my getz and many other cars, but innova's ride quality has never been matched by any cars that i have driven (while coming back on this strech i sat behind and had my friend to drive car, for me to test the passenger comfort and i must say the suspension was awesome it never allows you to feel the bad road surface)... road from dharmapuri to salem is kinda ok. from salem the ghat section starts, the road is splendid. here i felt the power of this masterpiece that i was driving. i manouvred the turns and hair pin bends with not a slight lack of power to carry eight guys which is house full for the car. overall, i enjoyed this driving trip and this has strengthened my decision to buy this car!

mr gurkha i dun know which innova however will it is driven can give 16 kmpl on a highway or for that matter any suv....d suv's cant give more than 13 on highway nd i think u might hav made a big time calculation mistake !!!!