Sign in to follow this  
Arjun_M

The driver's car - what do you look for?

Quite often, I come across these discussions where fans mention what they call a driver's car, or an enthusiast car. What exactly is this classification? Often, I find cars suggested to be fun to drive in these segments, and the cars usually have engines with plenty of horsepower, and are priced under ten lakh rupees in India.

Yet, there are some cars with underpowered engines, such as the 68-77bhp offered by Ford, which are supposed to be fun to drive, while some cars with over 100bhp are not quite enthusiast cars, like the All New Honda City. The Baleno is still considered more fun to drive than the car that followed- the more powerful (yet efficient) SX4. Fans cite a classic example of an excellent driver's car that failed in India- the Subaru Forester with the Chevy badge- because it was priced way too high- at a limit where car buyers are rear seat passengers.

I find this classification a little confusing, and would like to know what the term means, what you look for, and some good examples in sale at present, and memorable ones from the past.

I think good acceleration, brakes, minimum body roll, high speed maneuverability and stability and AFFORDABLE.

That is right affordable. In Indiaon>, affordable is right term for anything to be successful.

This best driver car under 10 lakhs ex showroom is the Linea T Jet because it has great handling , ride ,power and steering feel .

Even with flawed ergonomics it will be my pick (italian's have longer hand and legs) .

The new Fiesta is good but in my test drive I always felt that the power is not there at all.

I feel New Honda city matches most of the requirements. After offering EMT at around 8.00L, you have to thing twice before buying Verna @ 10.50 L and Vento @ 11.00L, all diesel if you are driving 10-13K  per annum.

In premium hatches, still there is no perfect diesel car. Swift is good but, it does not have boot space for a short trip of 4-5 days with family. So , I feel still there is a room in the market for a car with a good engine, better space in rear and boot. I do not understand why manufacturer can not make a perfect hatch for India, when you have such a big market for hatch. Our beloved Dr. Nishu and Bornfree are still finding a better options for their needs. All the best.

Driver's car.

Must have:

1.Good ride quality

2.Excellent handling

3.Precise steering feedback

4.Good braking

5.Comfortable driving position

6.Ergonomically placed switches(driver oriented)

7.Adequate power

Can be neglected:

1.Price

2.Rear space

3.Boot space

4.Kmpl

What kind of machinery would you expect to have in a driver's car? The kind of suspension, gears and brakes? Maybe there are other ways of identifying an enthusiast car other than bhp and torque? For instance, I'd like to know the parts used in the OHC, Baleno and Lancer, old and phased-out cars that are enthusiast favourites, and why their successors are not so popular amongst that group.

A swift diesel with 185/60 R14/R15 tires would definitely be my choice in a hatch segment. Its got adequate torque for that swoosh on the highways, the broader tires make it extremely planted, handles well, amazing driving position, to swear-by-brakes and the suspension set up on the stiffer side... it makes a car worth many drives smiley1.gif

On another note.. I do not have complaints with my Petrol 1.3 unit either. Amazing car...

@sb-alto - I agree with all the other points but fuel efficient?? for a drivers' car! It might not be fuel efficient as an Alto or a M800.. but if it has to handle well, give you excellent ability to redline, should have enough power etc., it compromises a few things. Fuel efficiency is one of the I suppose.

Agree we are not discussing a "performance" car but if we say "a drivers' car" it will be tweaked for enthusiasm more than fuel efficiency.

What is welcome is - a drivers' car which is ALSO adequately fuel efficient smiley1.gif