Sign in to follow this  
creativebala

MSIL values Safety Now - ABS in Base Variant

I love Maruti Cars from my Childhood for various reasons, some of which being the only good looking cars( In 1100 & Amby times), the much said about low cost( both fixed & variable).. etc

But over the time, I fell in love with Fiat cars mainly because of excellent design and SAFETY features.

Recently, I started developing a hatred for Maruti cars for the same reason I fell in love with Fiat, i.e, Safety

Case in point,

1. Still Selling OMNI with 0 safety factors

2. Overpowering bare basic cars with no safety factors( Alto K10, am sure it can't handle its top speed)

3. Removing safety factors( No VXI/VDI ABS now)

4. Last but not least Spongy brakes on a Sporty & Hot Hatch with smaller brake booster.

And Now, Maruti values its Customer's Safety by giving a ABS even in lower model. This is a very good move from Maruti smiley32.gif & hats off to them.

Now one can get Ertiga LDI with ABS20120223_115946_RIII.jpg

IMHO, Maruti should care about other cars safety too by giving most of its car an option to buy with ABS. Maruti can easily offer most of its cars, from A* to SX4 with ABS as an option in all variants.

PS - Image Courtesy RevvedUp of TBhp

creativebala2012-02-23 12:04:40

Maruti have been harping for long about better driving sense and manners among motorists, and have called for total road safety. Hopefully this will be the start of introducing full safety features in all their cars- so that they have the vehicles to back up their road safety goals.

It is good that Maruti has opted for ABS from base version. But till now they were not very serious for ABS. One of my friend had booked Ritz Vdi with ABS in Oct and after waiting for 60 days, he has cancelled his booking in favour of non-ABS. He has tried all the dealers in the city and nobody was ready to take the booking of ABS ritz. Hope MSIL has planned his inventory properly. All the best.

Yes, Maruti is really trying to better this Unexplored aspect of Indian Automobile Industry. Thanks to the entry of German/European rivals in India, which made the Indians aware of what the Safety actually is.

One of the Recent example across which I came recently is the Head-On collision of the New Swift VDi with the Stationary Tree.

5qVHXl.jpg

IMHO, this New Swift have really tried better in absorbing the shock of the collision as against the previous Swift, many of us might have seen the same & its fate previously.

Important points to note:

-Most important, Front Windshield is still Intact with so much smashed front part.

-Doors are still untouched/Unscratched by the Impact.

-Interiors were as such i.e unaffected n unaltered.

-Most Importantly, Do notice the encircled part in Red, previously in 1st gen Swift, the front Horizontal Cross member was of 2 round pipes held together by a plate but now in New Swift this is Improved & strengthened by the replacement of that Rod bars with the Plate-type punched Horizontal Cross member.

So, prior to the Gadgetry like Airbags or ABS, what primarily needed is the tough bodyshell, which seems to be the part of New Swift series for Passengers safety.

Question is how much dearer would the variants become after such a move. If done for the small car, Maruti might well loose the cheap car maker tag. Also another question is whether better brakes (booster, pads, rotors, whatever) is more of a need than shabby brakes + ABS. 

Also another question is whether better brakes (booster' date=' pads, rotors, whatever) is more of a need than shabby brakes + ABS.?

[/quote']

Only Diesel variants of Maruti Suzukis'(mainly Zen D, Swift, New Swift & previous Dzire) suffer from Poor/Weak brakes not only due to Smaller Rotor or Booster or else but due to Improper Body weight distribution.

Drive Swift Diesel vs Petrol & you'll immediately notice that where the fault lies, as these Maruti Suzuki cars are primarily designed with & for Petrol engines.

Thus, Diesel Swift suffers from Improper body weight distribution & hence Inertia related troubles while Braking.

Another limiting factor in the Weak braking is the Suspension settings. Well weighed, Tough Struts with Solid sub-frame & Tough Critical body areas can make a lot of difference in Braking than adding better Discs, Rotors or ABS, etc.

Does the New Dzire have ABS option on the Vxi/Vdi variant?

No.

Only ZXi/ZDi variants are equipped with ABS & Airbags.

@nishu

Correct, I understand that brakes do matter a lot on suspension, chassis, balance and all, but cost wise, installing a booster or upgrading pads and rotors are cheaper and easier. Take the example of Toyota Fortuner.

I don't think that Maruti is going to give option in cheaper model in the near future because the cost increase of 25k is too sensitive for those buyers .

Just see how many people buy the LT option pack than others vairent in the chevy BEAT .

I'd say safety is a far more principal if expensive feature than such things as chrome plating, beige interiors and car audio. That doesn't make the driver any less critical for safety- after all, let's not leave the safety aspect to the car alone.

@Goen,

All I can do now is just Pity at you. Lets hope MSIL wakes up and changes the booster, rotors.. etc as they did to the initial batches of 1stGen Swift Diesels.

Can you eloborate how exactly the brakes feel?

Our Spark's brakes are spongy too. It will be too crispy when the car carries one person and it would take ages to come to a halt when fully loaded, so I driven very slower compared to driving alone.

Is your case similar or its the same unconditionally.

@Bala, the same goes for my swift as well... I tried to get the service center guys take a good look. But then all that they come up with is - they're perfectly fine.

I'd say, they have lost the sense of urgency they had earlier and does not give me confidence speeding up on a winding road. Everything was checked including the discs, pads, booster and the brakes were also bleeded. But the result remains the same smiley6.gif

I think while driving on high speed, when you apply brakes, do a gear down shift as well and do not press the clutch. This way you can brake down the speed easily.

Sstar2012-02-28 19:50:59

@Goen' date='

All I can do now is just Pity at you. Lets hope MSIL wakes up and changes the booster, rotors.. etc as they did to the initial batches of 1stGen Swift Diesels.

Can you eloborate how exactly the brakes feel?

Our Spark's brakes are spongy too. It will be too crispy when the car carries one person and it would take ages to come to a halt when fully loaded, so I driven very slower compared to driving alone.

Is your case similar or its the same unconditionally.
[/quote']

I think it is same unconditionally

We find safety only in the top end, but manufacturers seem to put in useless gadgets and features such as music systems and beige interiors in the car. Surely, they can divert costs to safety?

@sstar' date='

Engine braking is effective only in Petrol cars and Swift's problem mainly lies with Diesel.

[/quote']

Does this mean that problem exists in all MSIL diesel cars without ABS feature variants?

Sstar2012-03-01 16:29:03

Does this mean that problem exists in all MSIL diesel cars without ABS feature variants?

?

?

Only in Old Swift, Old Dzire, New Swift, New Dzire(except ZDi variants) & Zen D.

But Ritz & SX4 D Non-ABS variants are still better.

Sstar, since you're going to buy LDi variant of Ritz, I'd advice you to have an extensive Test Drive of it(LDi or VDi Non-ABS variant) before buying your Purchase.

But, as far as i've heard & noticed Ritz & SX4 D Non-ABS variants are also equally good.

Only in Old Swift' date=' Old Dzire, New Swift, New Dzire(except ZDi variants) & Zen D.
But Ritz & SX4 D Non-ABS variants are still better.
Sstar, since you're going to buy LDi variant of Ritz, I'd advice you to have an extensive Test Drive of it(LDi or VDi Non-ABS variant) before buying your Purchase.
But, as far as i've heard & noticed Ritz & SX4 D Non-ABS variants are also equally good. [/quote']

My father did the TD of Ritz before booking it. And as per him...they are fine as they should be. His style is more enthu unlike me as I am easy going sort of. So if he says then I trust him and they sould be good...(and you know the reason why I could not do TD smiley22.gif).