Sign in to follow this  
Arjun_M

Hero Ignitor or Honda Stunner?

The Hero stall at the Auto Expo may have raised a few laughs, with the presence of a bike known as the Ignitor. Yes, it's that Honda Stunner clone from Hero Motocorp. A common joke in the biking community is that the only innovations Hero does is in the stickers and paint jobs, but do nothing in terms of actual engineering, and that criticism has carried on here. However, Hero's bikes are priced reasonably, as against Honda's often ridiculous pricing strategies. The dealer network of Hero is also much larger, and getting spares is also easier. I don't know if there's a new variant of the Honda Stunner PGM-FI lately, but the steep pricing has kept potential buyers away from the product- and maybe Hero can make a PGM-FI version of the Ignitor, which is more affordable. So which one would you buy the bike from- Hero or Honda?

Hero, mainly for its service, parts availability, competitive price,..etc

One of my friend's Unicorns disc pad is worn out and he is not interested to buy from local shop and he is riding without perfect brakes for close to a month.

Only Lodha of Adyar is giving a finite answer, .i.e, 10 days, all others are saying "No stock and no idea when it would reach"

Ignitor hasn't been officially launched by Hero yet, I guess. So, any obvious comments can't be made on it yet.

Lets wait for its launch for the price & quality details.

But In general, Hero always features Inferior quality in their products as against similar Honda products & Pleasure vs Activa is the biggest examples of this.

We're still a while away from the Ignitor launch, but will you consider buying one of the first from the stable? Yes, Hero products are rather inferior, but they use parts manufactured locally, so as to reduce costs, making their vehicles cost-effective. Honda is a high benchmark in quality, and are a lot more refined, and it will be a tough call for indigenous manufacturers to emulate- though not impossible. However, the pricing is highly questionable, as we notice in the examples of both variants of the Stunner and 'deluxe' Dazzler- even as a Honda 150cc bike comes for less. We've already got one example of waiting time for a Honda Unicorn part in here.

While Honda maintain a higher quality, and are also smarter marketers, (although I won't say so about our local dealer at present), I'd say Hero is a lot more customer-friendly, and cost-effective without compromising on quality, so there's scope for debate. Buy Honda and buy refined, or save money (and support our country's industry) and buy a Hero.

I would say...Honda is for quality and reliability. However, Hero is not that poor too. They are decent enough and if you get the decent quality on fair price then why to raise question.

Btw..if still not satisfy....go for Honda :)

Though Quality facts are really in the favour of Honda but the reality is that Hero Honda bikes are more Reliable & better suited to Indian Roads & Conditions prevailing here, as against Honda bikes.

I've experienced this personally. Only Twister has got the right blend of everything to suit the Indian conditions.dr_nishu2012-02-29 17:31:49

Wait for Ignitor to launch. As Arjun said, why risk buying from the first batch! I totally agree with Dr.Nishu that Hero Honda bikes were the best. Now, choosing between Hero and Honda, I'd opt for Honda.

One thing I still believe will pull customers to the Hero marque instead of the more establised Honda wing is the pricing. Honda pricing is never really smart, and the CBF Stunner is a good example of that. Owners and potential buyers agree that both variants of the Stunner are overpriced. The carb Stunner is not refined, while you're paying a 150cc+ price for the 125cc PGM-FI Stunner. Build quality is another issue, as also spare parts availability. While Honda always scores on quality, they don't seem to have much of an advantage with the carb Stunner.

I wonder when the Ignitor will be launched, as the launch date is a bit tough to catch. The tentative price, though, may be sub-50K.