Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Doc

Tata MegaPixel

Tata's have finally got it right . The next generation Nano is here. Tata is ready to unveil their almost production ready concept of the pixel in Geneva . This car will surely rewrite Tata's history in India,I'm damn sure, even if it's double the price of the first gen Nano .

More details and picture on Autocar India website. Crazy Doc2012-03-05 19:02:39

This car, when produced in India will enter stiff competition with AN800, Eon, Up and various other cars.

What Tata needs today is Nano Dicor. Period.

IMHO, Tata = Diesel. Tata+petrol = disaster, but tata still manages to sell over 5000 Nanos MoM, so with Nano Dicor, it could easily be the best seller in our country.

@ creativebala

Nano is consistently doing good numbers, much more than you think.Last months figures is very close to 10,000.

This new Nano will surely be India's number one selling car for sure. Even the present version might do that once the diesel engine comes in.

Tata's petrol engines are not bad either, in certain areas they better than some Koreans, especially mileage.

There is no new 800 it's a 600cc car at Alto price,Eon is priced too high for what it offers but this will be the main opposition and UP is not in this segment it comes in an i10+ category and it's not coming to India.But who got the guts to challenge when you offer a car with 40km/l millage on diesel.   

Nothing about Pixel concept gets me excited. They had Pixel concept last year. They spent the whole year developing the concept they wanted to show at the next Geneva expo, and I am pretty certain a GigaPixel is being put up at drawing boards soon.

Nano, exists like most cars as primary or secondary car in families. If primary then almost certainly, it is the first car. Very very rarely will they have so much usage that they will need to go for a diesel car. Add 75k for diesel and you enter Alto territory, and you get very little room to live there. Ask Eon, it sells 1/4 of Alto, even after having great reputation in every field. Fact that Alto alone sells nearly as much as all models of Hyundai/Tata combined tells you something.

As Mahindra has started attacking nearly every segment, with VFM propositions, this is where Tata needs to improve first before anything else. While Mahindra is still 10k less, that scene will most likely change with arrival of their 2 sub 4 meter cars, mini Xylo and the under 4 meter Verito.

Tata needs to do following so as not fall behind the competition.

1. It needs Japanese powers. It should have cars with great mileage, reliability, good and cheap A.S.S all combining to form a great ownership experience. They also need to better retain customers, only doing the above will help them do it.

2. Nano's aim was to convert bike owners into car owners at which it has failed miserably. Nearly half of the Nano's I have seen are 2nd cars in the family. Don't just try to provide a four seater, provide a car.

3. Get something other than Indica in 3 lakh segment. Nobody wants there cars to be seen as taxi. Design a family car, use your strength of generating space, and plonk in an excellent petrol engine.

4. Recognise your weakness like Suzuki did and form alliance to get good petrol engine from some manufacturer.

5. Make better looking cars. Move away from christmas lights, and smiley grills.

I would if Nano diesel comes in Alto territory with a mileage figures 40 KMPL then it would certainly bother Alto sales chart for sure. After all who will not like to be the owner of India's most Fuel Efficient Small Car when petrol prices are soon to be 100Rs/Ltr.

I would if Nano diesel comes in Alto territory with a mileage figures 40 KMPL

+1

Who wants a Rs 5/Km Alto when one can get Rs 1.5/Km Nano at the same price. I ll smile at petrol pump queue everyday then.

Alto delivers ~14kmpl in city @ 70/Litre

Nano expected to deliver ~ 30 in city @ 45/Litre.

By the time Nano Dicor arrives, petrol could be 100INR where as Diesel can't be more than say 50 or 55.

@CB

Most normal users, with simple driving easily get 20 knpl in City with Alto. I get 14 with my Honda City, ad 15.5 with my Jazz!

And imagining the racket that engine will make, given how loud the petrol nano is, and the Tata name with reliability, i dont see much takers. Even now with the difference of over 1 lakh between petrol Alto and Nano, the latter sells 1/4th because of this issue only. Erase the price benefit, the Nano looks even less lucrative

Like all small cars Nano too was not selling well in the initial period but the numbers are steady and increasing. Diesel will make it to the top.By 2014 some crash test has to be passed by Indian cars too, Alto won't be able to pass that test but a Nano can. It automatically makes Nano the only option.

Tata has always improved on the second generation the new 3 cylinder petrol and the Dicor will take care of refinement and mileage problems.

Please don't make silly claims that Alto gives 20km/l in city, we too live in India and have seen and used too many Altos.

@Crazy Doc

You call them silly facts. I have statistics based on usage over long period of time on these cars. I am not talking about any ratings here but real world figures, on cars that have been driven smoothly, and not to satisfy racing blood.

Also check out Maruti's next model code named YP8. Thats Maruti's next Alto, coming at the end of this year, and I think Maruti is intelligent enough to make it compliant to any safety test out there.

The Dicor engine will cost as much as the car itself. A 1 .25 lakh Nano was not able to challenge for the top position, a 2.5 lakh nano never will be able to.

As I have said Nano is used mostly as second car, and the first time buyers rarely have enough running to justify the extra diesel expenditure.

This looks great and if exported to other countries the smart car will be history with a price of 5 lakhs with hybrid tech it can become the world car of the year .

Bring it on TATA!!!

I would if Nano diesel comes in Alto territory with a mileage figures 40 KMPL

+1

Who wants a Rs 5/Km Alto when one can get Rs 1.5/Km Nano at the same price. I ll smile at petrol pump queue everyday then.

Alto delivers ~14kmpl in city @ 70/Litre

Nano expected to deliver ~ 30 in city @ 45/Litre.

By the time Nano Dicor arrives' date=' petrol could be 100INR where as Diesel can't be more than say 50 or 55.
[/quote']

That's true. Even these days when petrol prices get change 2 times in 15 days - a splendor biker will be worried about daily run cost. And if he wants to upgrade to a car....then Alto is not an answer...but NANO is.

5 - *s to TATA on leading the innovation front.
Sstar2012-03-07 16:17:06