raj_5004

discontinued cars....

Astra was definetly good of the discontinued cars. Cielo was also good in terms that it was loaded with lot of goodies that were not seen earlier in indian cars. In fact they use to call it "garibon ki mercedes"

how about the other discontinued cars like the Tata Estate and Tata Siera. Siera was really a good idea but the execution was not so good. basically a 207 platform. maybe tatas can revive the siera sometime. 

The issues with Opels (all excellent cars) - high fuel consumption, and expensive spares. I remember the Corsa rear seat being classed as the best in class by ACI. When buying my Accent the Corsa was on the short list until an owner pointed out that if I got 8kpl I will be lucky!

Indeed the Daewoo Cielo was the Opel Kadett with some cosmetic touches. The Daewoo Cielo 's fit and finish jolted the market when the Esteem was reigning supreme. It was the darling of the "C" segment buyers. Very sad plight of the Korean chaebol going bankrupt and the Daewoo Matiz and Cielo in India getting discontinued.

The Opel saga is different- GM to revive its sales discontinued the solidly built and well liked Opels  and opted for the Chevrolet brand. The Opel Astra was a status symbol till Mercs came along. a freind bought an astra recently for below Rs 1 L. Its door mirror costs Rs 4500 and is not readily available.

Again here Daewoos have been rebadged as Chevrolets, for marketing after GM bought the ailing Daewoo Motors.

Opel Astra was the best among the trio n way ahead in terms of quality, fit n finish, ride n overall comfort. It had that distintive European feel which the other two competitors lacked. My dad had bought Astra 1.6 GL in '97 which we used for almost 10 yrs n sold it in June '07.We have had such good service n overall experience with the car that my dad was planning to go for Vectra when he decide to change the car. He called up the company to ask if there were any units left in the Inventory. When the reply was that one of senior staff himself wanted one n was unable to locate any, n hence settle for a second hand buy, that my dad opted for the Honda Civic (dad wasnt too keen on second hand car). u ll still find many Opel loyalists who swear by thier cars n Astra was the best car that Opel brought to India among others. I hope GM revives the brand soon. atleast in the C n D segment. 

Didn't your dad know; Opel owners have now moved on to Skoda. Ask him to go in for a Laura or Octy L&K. Oops; I do surprise myself, at times, suggesting a Skoda. But let's face it, the desi 'image' trip guys have switched to Skoda from Opel, for the desi 'European' feel.Durango Dude2008-01-21 17:24:31