Sign in to follow this  
dr_nishu

Maruti's new Sedan for India underway

Previously there was also the Air about the development of All new Sedan by Maruti Suzuki, exclusively for India.

But after Re-positioning the New Dzire in <4m category, now its almost confirmed that MSIL is coming up with another full fledged sedan, with Sufficient Boot Space & Interior Space, specifically Legroom, for which the current gen of MSIL cars are Short of.

Another gripe which remained after enthusiastic 1.3 G-Series is the puny 1.2 K-Series(K12M) petrol engine used in previous & New Dzire, which is more suited for 'Small car(<4m)' usage.

To heal this, MSIL is having 1.4l, 95PS K-Series(K14M) engine now in India.

MSIL is planning to position this car in between New Dzire & SX4.

I'm expecting the Extended Swift Platform(which is currently deployed in ERTIGA) to be the Ground medium for MSIL's new upcoming full-fledged sedan, along with 95PS K14M Petrol & 90PS 1.3l SuperTurbo DDiS engines.

All in all, A spacious, powerful >4m sedan from MSIL can be expected.

& If we believe the various media sources true, this car will arrive on our roads by year 2013.

Even Hormazd Sorabjee also tweeted about the same yesterday:

"After Kizashi &G.Vitara flop, Maruti to focus on niches in sub-10lakh market. After Ertiga, Maruti developing 3rd saloon between Dzire &SX4".

Suzuki don't have too many cars worldwide, so they may end up doing a licensed version of a car from another company- surely a Suzuki partner.

One thing I do hope to see in this car is better styling- current-generation Maruti-Suzukis are not quite the best-looking cars on show.

I feel they might just give a somewhat major facelift to SX4 and bring it to a lower segment and launch a "proper" new competitor to the Verna and Vento.

IIRC, this news is floating for months.

This car is the Proper Swift DZire(Non CS) with 1.4VVT & 1.3Mjd. But I wonder why bringing it?

With SX4 doing too badly & DZire CS too costly, there is no room for this car.

IMHO, MSIL should scrap this and reduce SX4 price drastically and power it with 1.4VVT & MJD.

Like I had previously reported, I expect this to be the new SX4 at Nissan Sunny prices.

An all new model would probably be developed in a year to counter likes of Verna and City. Till then Ertiga will fight them.

^^^

This isn't a SX4 or a car costlier than that.

IIRC, this news is almost a year old, i.e, MSIL long ago said, they will come out with DZire CS in 2012 and a Proper booted DZire in 2014.

So its just a proper booted DZire and nothing more.

I think it is a big time that Maruti do something about their sedan offering.

Even though SX4 is well priced, it has lost the charm to fight in the current market scenario. A gen-old interiors in SX4 is "THE" biggest problem! Think it might be better to ditch the SX4 name and come up with an all new sedan. And when the SX4 DDIS didn't do much wonders, I don't think if the SX4 K14 might be of much help.

And I doubt if a proper Swift sedan would be of much help. Think they should come up with an all new sedan based on the Ertiga platform.

I think the K14 engine with slightly more horses and the 1.3 DDIS VGT should be sufficient for the sedan.

They should continue the good work similar to Ertiga by making ABS standards on all the variants. smiley32.gif

The SX4 seems a rather sensible car to own, and one of the more popular big cars on the streets, but if it's doing as poorly as said here, there really is a problem with the management/marketing department of Maruti, regarding this car. It may not be very refined, responsive or powerful, but it's a more sensible choice than several other cars in this segment. Maruti's marketing, though, is very poor, and that's been the case for a really long time.

Suzuki Auto themselves are not particularly good with bigger cars. They have very few large cars (at present, just the SX4 and Kizashi) and some SUVs, but nothing else. Tough call for them to manage big cars properly.

maruti is really taken good decision for developing a new saloon which can be positioned between dzire compact sedan and sx4.....though..the current dzire is short on space...its hugely practical....n if upcoming sedan has good space......practicality....overal hood quality n refinement..it wil be a hit as ertiga is

i think the new saloon wil be inspired by the styling clues of kizashi as the current swift is......might be it would share design philosopy of next generation sx4.....under the hood it wil have k14m engine shared wit ertiga wit 94 horses.....n the gamechanger famous fiat sourced diesel 1.3 multijet with variable geometry turbo....shared wit fiat. ....tata cars