librankur

AAA ( all about automatics)

AAA

(All about automatics)

Automatics are everywhere starting from the humble Maruti Astar to the more expensive lot

I am starting this thread so that experienced boarders can pitch in and help us understand what it takes to own an automatic besides price that is always a point of contension

Entry Level Automatic cars in India

Maruti A star - Fuel Type - Petrol

Hyundai Santro - Fuel Type - Petrol

Hyundai i 10 - Fuel Type - Petrol

Premium  Automatic Hatchbacks

Hyundai i 20 - Fuel Type - Petrol

Entry Level Sedan Automatic

Maruti SX4 - Fuel Type - Petrol

Ford Fiesta - Fuel Type - Petrol

Hyundai Verna- Fuel Type - Petrol and Diesel

Volkswagen Vento - Fuel Type - Petrol

Skoda Rapid - Fuel Type - Petrol

Sedan Automatics

Volkswagen Jetta

Skoda Laura

Chevy Cruze

Premium Sedan Automatics

Volkswagen - Passat

Entry Level SUV Automatic

Mahindra Scorpio 2WD - Fuel Type - Diesel

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD - Fuel Type - Diesel

Premium Suv Automatic

Toyota Fortuner - Fuel Type - Diesel

, now you all pitch in

Just add one more Efficient & VFM Automatic in the list above.

i.e: MS Swift Dzire Automatic petrol.

Few more:

-Ford Endeavour 3.0 TDCI Diesel AT.

-Hyundai Santa Fe CRDI Diesel AT.

-Honda CR-V AT Petrol.

Luxury cars:

-Honda Civic 1.8 V-AT Petrol.

-Honda Accord 2.4 AT Petrol.

-Honda Accord 3.0 V6 AT Petrol.

-Toyota Corolla Auto Petrol.

-Toyota Camry AT Petrol.

Rest all Premium luxury cars(Mercs, BMW, Audi, etc) are ATs in both Petrol & Diesel avatars.dr_nishu2012-04-12 04:37:19

just wondering if going downhill and uphill on an automatic is as safe as a regular vehicle.

The task involves so many inputs , i wonder if an automatic is able to master the art or does a regular car outperform

Let me explain what i mean , you would have encountered on a steep incline you need to shift the car into a lower geear and shift into 1st or second if it still does not work, or after stopping and starting.

Does the automatic understand what we want it to do?

are automatic cars safer for hilly commutes / are they as reliable as the regular cars for such terrain

Which car would you choose if you had to go hiking on a car (automatic or regular)

TOYOTA FORTUNER AUTO  - A review by Autocar India for a newspaper

Ahead-on look at the Fortuner will give you the impression that this car is all new. Sharp lines replace the outdated rounded forms, and the wider wraparound headlights and chin give it a fuller-looking face.

With cuts on the bonnet bumper and chin, this Toyota SUV looks more like the higher-end Land Cruiser though.

Toyota has updated the cabin of the Fortuner, and though it hasn

just wondering if going downhill and uphill on an automatic is as safe as a regular vehicle.

?

The task involves so many inputs ' date=' i wonder if an automatic is able to master the art or does a regular car outperform

?

Let me explain what i mean , you would have encountered on a steep incline you need to shift the car into a lower geear and shift into 1st or second if it still does not work, or after stopping and starting.

?

Does the automatic understand what we want it to do?

?

are automatic?cars safer for hilly commutes / are they as reliable as the regular cars for such terrain

?

Which car would you choose if you had to go hiking on a car (automatic or regular)

?

?

?

?
[/quote']

Haha..

Don't worry librankur.

Car/Auto engineers begins designing of their products with these basic questions.

Auto gearboxes have different Drive based modes to drive the car under different conditions.

Upshifting or Downshifting early or late are well managed by the Auto gearboxes.

Retardation/deceleration is also well managed by Auto gearboxes, depending on the engine Rpm.

Specially assisted Hill descent-Ascent feature is available in new-gen Automatics, like Ford Fiesta's New Dual Clutch AT Gearbox & VW-Skoda-Audi DSG AT Gearboxes.

The latter are having slight edge towards the Conventional Automatics(with torque convertors), but they're are also near perfect in all drive style/patterns.

The most important thing to keep in mind when it comes to automatic transmissions is that they wear out and it is an expensive process to rebuild them....yes, rebuild.   Whenever you open it up...even for a faulty solenoid....you have to get the super master kit and replace all the friction plates and other parts..etc.etc.etc.    If you own a tranny shop, you make good money.

Dear Doctor ,

You find it funny smiley17.gif,

i was having second thought for taking my vehicle for a long commute through the Leh (ladhak) sector.

Have done it in other offroaders before but never with an automatic which is not 4wd and knowing the roads there , your heart would pop out several times in a row.

Yes , other people have also given me similar reassurance that automatics are safe and thus have decided to take the leap , lets see whats in store for me. 

smiley18.gif smiley19.gif smiley3.gif

dear born2cruz,

is there a specific time period for these things to get replaced or do we have to do it all the time ( on regular services)

Have never maintained an automatic and thus my question to you .

Also one more thing , like in regular cars (STICK SHIFT) people say that the way you drive affects the clutch plate and thus its wear tear is your responsibility but in an automatic the clutch is engaged by the car mechanics and you dont have any role to play , so in all respects the manufacture should be responsible for this and such /these items be covered in manufactures warranty

Just a thought

My limited interactions with an automatic up until now have given me no experience about how much a service of these things cost , if someone has a rough idea so share here , i am talking in money terms.

regards

ankur 

Corolla Altis - Genius inside. Gorgeous outside.

blank.gif

Toyota Corolla Altis Automatic :

Available in Petrol version only

Automatic Transmission Type :

Super CVT-i with 7-speed Sequential Shiftmatic

Models that come with Automatic Transmission :

1) 1.8 G

2) 1.8 VL

Dear Doctor ' date='

?

You find it funny smiley17.gif,

[/quote']

No, Personal intentions here to make a fun of yours or your views, instead I just took your post on the lighter note.

Basically what you've quoted above are the Basic A-B-C of Automotive Mechanicals & these're very basic questions about ATs & manufacturers with their latest technology have overcome these errors/probable errors.

So, don't get worried about these.

i was having second thought for taking my vehicle for a long commute through the Leh (ladhak) sector.

?

Have done it in other offroaders before but never with an automatic which is not 4wd and knowing the roads there ' date=' your heart would pop out several times in a row.

[/quote']

Many Auto magazines have done these Direct comparos with many Hi-tech 4x4 SUVs, beginning from Endeavour 4x4 till Mercs 4x4 SUVs with AT.

No doubt, they tried well to conquer all the reigns where they targetted.

But somehow, where the conditions gets far from Idealistic/Normal, then the Man brains & Manual power comes into play & car with less complicated Mechanicals & Manual Transmission, wins hands down against ATs.

That's why Gypsy king, Mahindra Thar & Mitsubishi Pajero SFX are the winners here.

But, if you want to restrict your query upto cars then I'd say New Fiesta is the best option amongst Petrol sedans as it comes with 'SEALED FOR LIFE POWERSHIFT AT GEARBOX' or It comes with lifetime warranty i.e: 10 years or 2,00,000 kms, which makes it an almost fool-proof & maintenance free buy.

Though less complicated, but CVT-ATs are not as much efficient or Reliable as conventional or Dual clutch ATs.

The latter are most expensive to make, repair & maintain.

dr_nishu2012-04-16 18:28:57

Contents From Ford india website :

Satelliteblobcol=urlthumbnail&ampblobhea

First in Segment Hill Launch Assist and Ford Grade Assist Technology

Unlike traditional automatics, the Fiesta PowerShift features an intelligent braking system. Hill Launch Assist holds the car in place for 2.5 seconds, preventing it from rolling back on slopes. Grade Assist allows you to move down a slope at a comfortable speed, without having to use the brakes.

While going downhill, the innovative Grade Assist function when engaged extends the engagement of lower gears

Dear Doctor,

Alls well.

No matter how hard Ford tries with its new Fiesta Automatic it woudnt bring the numbers for it.

I remember last december they were offering a discount of 75 Thousand on the Petrol Fiesta while during the same time Verna were being booked for 80 Thousand with a waiting period of 10 months ( had myself booked one then and am still awaiting delivery)

These fords are build to last but dont have the interiors to match

Source:

Mahindra Scorpio VLX Automatic Overview:

With the Scorpio VLX Automatic you can enjoy the power of the mighty 2.2 litre mHawk diesel engine that delivers extra ordinary power with the convenience of never having to change a single gear.
Also experience a range of standard and optional features that combines comfort, safety and style with state-of-the-art technology such as in-built, intelligent driving modes to tackle various driving conditions with ease, giving customers the benefit of gearless, effortless driving.

Key Features

• 6 speed fully electronic automatic transmission
  • Airbags
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
  • Intelli-park
  • Rain & Light Sensors
  • 2-DIN Audio system with Bluetooth, CD/MP3 player, USB & SD Card compatibility
  • Cruise Control & Audio Control on Steering wheel
  • Alloy Wheels
  • 4WD (Optional)

Variants & Prices

Select State:-- Select State -->ANDHRA PRADESH>ARUNACHAL PRADESH>ASSAM>BIHAR / JHARKHAND>CHANDIGARH>CHATTISGARH>DELHI>GOA>GUJARAT>HARYANA>HIMACHAL PRADESH>JAMMU & KASHMIR>KARNATAKA>KERALA>MADHYA PRADESH>MAHARASHTRA>">MAHARASHTRA <dev <MAHARASHTRA>>MEGHALAYA>NAGALAND>ORISSA>PUNJAB>RAJASTHAN>SIKKIM>TAMIL NADU>TRIPURA>UTTAR PRADESH>UTTARANCHAL>WEST BENGAL>> Select City:-- Select City -->DELHI>>

Variant Price
VLX AT BS3 2WD-HE 1126362
VLX AT BS3 2WD-HE-Air Bag 1147193
VLX AT BS3 4WD-HE 1227376
VLX AT BS3 4WD-HE-Air Bag 1248208
VLX AT BS4 2WD-HE 1139783
VLX AT BS4 2WD-HE-Air Bag 1161417
VLX AT BS4 4WD-HE 1240797
VLX AT BS4 4WD-HE-Air Bag 1261757

• BS3: Bharat Stage 3
  • BS4: Bharat Stage 4
  • 2WD: Two-Wheel Drive
  • 4WD: Four -Wheel Drive

• All prices are indicated on the ex-showroom prices for the selected city limits only. Any other levies or taxes if applicable are extra. For exact prices, please contact our dealerships.

Source:

http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahindra-scorpio-vlxauto-overview.aspx

Automatic Offerings by Hyundai India

Delhi Prices as on 17/04/2012

i10 1.2L Kappa- Model (Petrol)

Sportz AT GLS(Solid) 520,239
Sportz AT GLS(Metallic) 523,851

Sportz AT GLS(Solid)

Sportz AT GLS(Metallic)

Asta AT WS GLS(Solid)

Asta AT WS GLS(Metallic)

i20 Model (Petrol)

i20 Sportz AT

Verna Model ( Petrol and Diesel)

Fluidic Verna VTVT SX (O) AT 1.6 (Petrol)

Fluidic Verna CRDi SX (O) AT 1.6 (Diesel)

The all new Sonata 2012 Model (Pertol Only)

Sonata 2.4 Gdi AT

Model Ex showroom prices (Rs)

Santa Fe

2WD MT 2,234,976
4WD MT 2,443,472
4WD MT AT 2,537,064

Santa Fe

4WD MT AT

i20 Sportz AT 767,405

Tata Motors :

Perhaps the only indian manufacturer without a single automatic variant in its india portfolio ( Barring Jaguar , Landrover)

I would be happy to be wrong on this , Do correct me if i am wrong

Skoda Rapid Automatic

1.6 MPI/77 kW (A)

Transmission : Automatic 6-speed, with Tiptronic manual gear changing

The SKODA Rapid is available in 6-speed Tiptronic automatic  The automatic transmission offers several different levels of drivability from a leisurely cruise to a race-like zip in the sport mode. The automatic transmission is available in both Ambition and Elegance options.

Delhi Prices of Automatic variants

Ambition 1.6 MPI AT Petrol Automatic rupess.gif 8,35,000 Request On-Road Price

Engine: 1.6 MPI / 77 kW Torque: 153 / 3800 Nm at rpm Displacement: 1598cm3
Power: 77 (105) / 5250 (bhp) at rpm Transmission: Automatic 6-speed, Tiptronic Fuel Type: Petrol
Elegance 1.6 MPI AT Petrol Automatic rupess.gif 9,25,000 Request On-Road Price

Engine: 1.6 MPI / 77 kW Torque: 153 / 3800 Nm at rpm Displacement: 1598cm3
Power: 77 (105) / 5250 (bhp) at rpm Transmission: Automatic 6-speed, Tiptronic Fuel Type: Petrol

Source:

Laura Automatic Variants

The Six-speed Automatic transmission (DSG) enables imperceptible gear changes. The fuel efficiency of a DSG is as high as a manual gearbox, since the Tiptronic function allows operation of the DSG like a Sequential Manual Transmission.

Laura Versions Fuel Type Transmission Ex-showroom Price On-road Price
L&K 2.0 TDI AT Diesel Automatic rupess.gif 18,97,704 Request On-Road Price

Engine: 2.0 TDI CR / 103 kW Torque: 320 / 1750

Dear Doctor,

I am still waiting for my Verna Diesel AT  , though have also finalized the scorpio automatic , it would be delivered in first week of may as per the company message.

Earlier they said that the waiting period was 2-3 months for th 2WD Automatic Scorpio but the centralised company message puts it to be just 1 month waits , lets see what becomes of the same.

Verna , they have no clue , whenever i call them up regarding my booking they say its coming .

Superb Automatic Comes in both Diesel and Petrol Variants

Superb Versions Fuel Type Transmission Ex-showroom Price On-road Price
1.8 TSI AT Petrol Automatic rupess.gif 21,10,000 Request On-Road Price

Engine: 1.8 TSI / 118 kW Torque: 250 / 1500-4500 Nm at rpm Displacement: 1798cm3
Power: 118 (160) / 4500-6200 (bhp) at rpm Transmission: Automatic 7-speed, DSG, Tiptronic Fuel Type: Petrol

2.0 TDI CR Diesel Automatic rupess.gif 24,00,000

Seven-speed DSG transmissions are offered with the 1.8 TSi petrol engine and the automatic six-speed DSG with tiptronic manual gear changing is offered with diesel engines.

TSI (A) - Petrol

Transmission type :

Automatic 7-speed, DSG, with Tiptronic manual gear changing

V6 FSI 4x4 (A) - Petrol

Transmission type :

Automatic 6-speed, DSG, with Tiptronic manual gear changing

TDI CR (A) - Diesel

Transmission type :

Automatic 6-speed, DSG, with Tiptronic manual gear changing

Note : For those who are looking for a cheaper version of Superb , they have recently also announced the same

Source:

Dear Doctor' date='

I am still waiting for my Verna Diesel AT ?, though have also?finalized the scorpio automatic , it would be delivered in first week of may as per the company message.

?

Earlier they said that the waiting period was 2-3 months for th 2WD Automatic Scorpio but the centralised company message puts it to be just 1 month waits ,?lets see what becomes of the same.

?

Verna , they have no clue , whenever i call them up regarding my booking they say its coming .

?

?
[/quote']

Go for Verna CRDi Automatic or CRUZE AT only.

Look no further for Diesels AT in this price band.

Avoid Scorpio AT.

Dear Doctor ,

Yes i will also go for the Verna ones its ready for delivery for me . That was my first choice ( as i said booked in December 2011) but the waiting period has made it to the second spot.

Also Its too late to go back on the Scorpio Automatic now , have already commited a huge amount and as these AT cars are made to order almost all dealers had warned me against cancellation of the booking , they clearly said commit to this booking only if you have finalized the product you want. Some dealers were even happy not to book than to book and latter cancel.Some also mentioned to book with half the amount and if cancellation takes place from our end they would refund the money only when the ordered car get another buyer.

You wont believe this but one dealer in delhi was so much fed up with his previously cancelled Scorpio AT booking that he was offering me a huge discount for the same and practically begging me to take the scorpio from him.Though the offer was very tempting i had to back down because of the dealers history of cannabilization of auto parts and the vehicle not matching my seating preference.

The thing is that we need a SUV for the terrain we operate in , this would do the service in the country side enroute our farmhouse ,  there is practically no road there , each time we have to take a different route depending on the road condition .This road is frequented by heavy truck movement and those are the real ones suited for this track.

Small cars / Sedans with low ground clearance just get scratched all the way , all my cars sound like sports cars due to the damaged mufflers / silencers.

So finally set aside a small budget for two cars one for the city and one for the farm  , both automatics needless to say .

Had i to buy just one car for the money i set aside i surely would have gone in for a Cruze AT, Endevour AT or a Fortuner AT 

Chevrolet Cruze Automatic

6 Speed Automatic Transmission

For a machine that solidly built, the Cruze is as swift as a gazelle. Blame it on its 6-speed Automatic Transmission that delivers superb gearshifts without any visible loss of power and momentum. The fully-electronic system offers a clutch-to-clutch shift operation for precision and smoothness. A wide spread gear ratio for quicker acceleration. A sixth gear for increased fuel economy at cruising speeds. Enjoy the power at your fingertips.

Model Available in Automatic Transmission

Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 VCDi LTZ diesel AT

Prices in Delhi as on 17/4/2012

Cruze - 2.0 LTZ AT BS4 (New) 1505129