Sign in to follow this  
sb-alto

D I Y - Removing TINTS (Sunfilm)

Recent supreme court verdict on banning any sort of films on the glass, got many into trouble. A lot of people were fined or stripped off their films in a haste by police, leaving patches and glue on glasses and screwing the looks of the car. Since it is tough to explain Cops on how to and why to, I thought getting rid of it before getting caught is the best option.

Although in my city Kolkata, there has not been any drive to remove films, even after the Park Street rape case. Not even one incident of police action against films has been reported. Still I thought I should be a responsible citizen, since my film was one from the pre historic era without rto permit limit. My film was also on the darker side.

Today I had some spare time and decided to do the work myself. It is a rather easy job, and can be done with just a little amount of patience.

Steps are as follows.

1. Park the car under hot sun for 10 mins. (it become a furnace within)

2. Spray water on all the film pasted glasses from within

3. Close car and leave it for another 5 mins.

4. Repeat process 2 again and leave it for another 5 mins.

5. Start with one glass, and peel off any suitable corner with a thin knife

6. Hold the peeled off part and slowly pull it out.

7. Constantly spray water on the joint between glass and film. Never let it dry

8. If it becomes hard or tough, just leave it for some time and spray water

9. Pull of slowly without jerk to get a gum/stain free clear window.

Photographic tutorial

Park car under the sun

dscn1479o.jpg

Filmy glass

dscn1481x.jpg

Tools required

dscn1483a.jpg

Spray water from inside

dscn1486q.jpg

dscn1487ln.jpg

Spray water on the joints as well

dscn1488w.jpg

Peel off a small corner section with a thin knife

dscn1489in.jpg

Keep spraying water on the joint between tints and glass as you pull

dscn1490u.jpg

Pull slowly

dscn1491h.jpg

If you encounter a split, do not worry. Repeat same for the top half.

dscn1493y.jpg

dscn1494m.jpg

Tints removed.

dscn1495s.jpg

dscn1499d.jpg

dscn1502f.jpg

NEW THINKING, NEW POSSIBILITIES ..STAY COOL

dscn1503n.jpg

CAUTION

1. Never let the joint run dry.

2. If you are lot so lucky and encounter gum stains, use Mr Muscle concentrate cleaner to remove those.

3. Be extra careful if you have rear defogger.

Thats a good process that most Delhities might have help in following .

I have generally seen that the good quality sunfilms always gets removed easily because the films is tough to break when you peel it . Anyways I think you sunfilm were well not in the current requirement of Delhi limit i.e. 75% visibility film on all doors .

If this ban were to affect Mumbai then I will go for the Diamond series of Vkool which is transparent because my i20's compressor is just too small to cope in the heat.

@sb_alto

Knowing this process would let lot of us save a lot of money , the going rates for this process in Delhi is Rs 100  to Rs 500 depending on the car you drive and the locality you live in (nearing the accessories dealer)

I always wondered whats inside the spray can , to my surprise it just the HUMBLE WATER.

Also there is an option of getting it for FREE at some places vehicles owners are just warned for the offence without being challaned (not always true) but before they let you go the TRAFFIC POLICEMEN does the removal for you  , they even ask you to join in the fun, if you are too inquisitive.

Though its a bit untidy but then its for free , later just use a good glass cleaner to get rid of the glue .

smiley2.gif

@ rssh

Nothing else will do - Nothing except the OE Glass provided by the manufacturer, its a PAN INDIA ban from 15 May. I suggest use a clip on sun shade , like the ones they sell at almost all traffic junctions in delhi , they cost a dime a dozen when compared to the cost of a good sun protective film.

If they ever stop you just remove the suction clip and say its clean or if things heat up between you and them , throw the whole set away , later buy a new one.

smiley36.gif

@rssh

My film was 40%. Way darker than limit. But then it was installed some 6 years back. At that time even a plywood paste would not have had any trouble.

@librankur

Even shops which agree to remove the tints do a shabby job. Even if you have gum stains, it would not be visible till a day or two. So it is better to do it yourself and take utmost care.

Well,my Corolla was our first ever car to get tinted windows but as soon as the warning came we got it removed(my chauffy is master in all this)that also just under 15 days of installing the sunfilms..

Now I am happy with our old method:Sun blinds and amazingly they(Police) are not having any issue with them.

@sb-alto

Found out today that a HOT STEAM SPRAYING GUN is a much quicker way to get rid of the film, somehow thought your way though innovative is a bit harsh on oneself , having to be out in the sun for so long. specially when you are doing it yourself , if one does not have a steam gun he can always use HOT WATER in the way you mentioned , without having to brave the sun.

I had to remove tints from my M800 last week when I saw same kind of drive was started by GGN Police with a fine amount of 1000 INR. It cost me 200 bucks to get it removed.

@librankur :

Not everyone has a hot steam spray gun at home. Hot water can be used but it needs energy. So in a way my process is a bit more economical.

@SStar

200 is a bit too much. But I should not complain because Gurgaon is not cheap by any means. Here 50 is the general charge.

Just Rs 50, so you went through the entire process just to save 50 bucks.smiley2.gif

Have you developed any other DIY for cars also , if yes , keep sharing those also.It will be a learning experience for us.

[quote=sb-alto@SStar

200 is a bit too much. But I should not complain because Gurgaon is not cheap by any means. Here 50 is the general charge.

At first, It looked high to me but when you get to know the cops are charging 1000Rs in fine and that is too you have to go to Gurgaon Court to get it settled down + fee to dalals + whole day waste. Then I think 200 is very very cheap.
Sstar2012-05-18 05:25:18

There is no talk information or people even knowing about the sunfilm banning in Mumbai . There are literary thousands of car still with tints still plying on the road and there is no general public awareness atleast in Mumbai.

@rssh

Not even in Kolkata. Police is unaware of any such ban.

@nishu

That means the film dried up before removal or the car was not hot enough. But you need not worry. Try Mr Muscle Kitchen cleaner (orange bottle) with a soft towel (preferably MF cloth) and damp it for some time and leave it. After some time wipe off. Works well without any effort. Normal Colin wont be enough.

Envelope the seats of your car with tarpaulin or any such factor that will secure them from the apply trash and next sprinkle window cleanser on the inside of the the rear window of your car. Next the blade will be used to stem off the plastic film at the area of the car screen, where there are no defroster lines and try shedding off the plastic from the car screen in one piece.