Gurkha

THE CIVIC TYPE R EXPERIENCE PART ONE

http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/8GCTRExp1/index.html

The CTR gearbox shifts much like Honda's MT gearboxes, which means one of the best feeling manual shifters in the world except that while Honda's manual transmission always had that strange feeling of a slight 'notchiness' when getting into the next gear (after the synchros have engaged), the gearbox on this FD2 CTR was super smooth, no hint of any notchiness at all.

The engine felt very torquey, even in low-revs, which was surprising because I had expected the huge 18" wheels to suck away any low-end torque. But the engine was willing to rev and the car willing to go, even in the higher gears at low-ish speeds. At the first corner, I tried twice (though unsuccessfully) to experiment and test the engine's lower rpm grunt by going in at 3rd gear but as I did not inform Rubens beforehand, he kept instructing me to change down to 2nd. So to avoid getting into a tedious explanation, I followed his instructions both times, meaning I never did get to try out the 1st corner in 3rd. Nevertheless, from the little time I tried with 3rd, the CTR actually felt perfectly capable of negotiating the 1st corner in 3rd with plenty of grunt to exit into the 2nd corner, eventhough 2nd would have been ultimately faster.

three.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed and bombard SIEL, maybe they will rethink but they are wary of the typical economy conscious Indian public not realizing the pedigree of the Civic Type R.Gurkha2008-01-05 15:10:00

first we should have the roads to suit this car....

i mean, just look at the low, ground kissing bumpers of the car...

they will be shattered within 10 minutes of your drive from the showroom...!!!

Agreed on that, one of the reasons I kept my lowered Accord back in US and bought high ground clearance MB instead. But in that case, Indian roads are perilious even for ordinary sedans being sold here. Most truck drivers leave back bricks on the road when they stop and fix their vehciles, those bricks do enough damage to the chin spoilers as well as the sump in some cases.

ideally, indians roads are suited to nothing less than monster trucks...!!!

imagine we managed to scrape the rear bumper of a safari on an incline in kerela...!!!

glad to know you have that classic MB here in india, its a looker....

Thanks, the W123 300TD was the last of the Panzer Tankwagen MB made with engine and rest of the vehicle made to last forever. Its also the last MB to really look like a MB with its distinct image.

The current Civic itself is not suited here its just good for city commute go on a highway then you might be rocking on somebumper Corolla defeats civic here badly may be they should increase tyre size or put metal cubes on the shocker to increase height.

have you noticed that the civic's seats are placed very low... you barely get to see the corners of the bonnet, a nightmare in bumper to bumper traffic. the same goes for my innova. but thats something you can get used to. anything for that cool blue LED speedo...!!!

Awesome pics' date=' thanks mndvishnu. I will sell my soul to the devil for the black one.[/quote']

yup , the black one looks cool , how about some other colors ? on the TyperR??  but i think the black and white will look awsome , i mean Dual colors!

regards,

Priya

Hi all, The Type R version is primarily released as competitors for the WRX and EVO. To head straight to the point, the mere fact of this being a FWD makes it "comparatively" less fun to drive than a more powerful AWD EVO and WRX. This radical designed high-performance vehicle is just ok.

PS: We shall be posting its' review in a few weeks time

As FWD goes, Civic Type R is a dream to handle. Considering that currently there many FWD cars winning showroom stock races over their RWD counterparts a properly designed and setup FWD can win races as well. Having said that, the Type R engine should be in the S-2000 and that would be my choice.

The current Civic itself is not suited here its just good for city commute go on a highway then you might be rocking on somebumper Corolla defeats civic here badly may be they should increase tyre size or put metal cubes on the shocker to increase height.

Honda did the right thing by specifiying 15 inch rims with thick rubber for Indian Civic. In Malaysia, the Civic 2.0 rode on factory-standard 17-inch rims, while the 1.8 model on 16 inch rims. And a weee bit lower.

In Malaysia Civic Type-R was offered at about MYR200,000. (MYR1=Rs12.65).

Those 15" alloys on the Indian Civic are pathetic looking compared to how good the car itself looks. Honda should have done a better job with those, also 15" is just too small for it.

I wish they launch the Type R in India and price it around 15 lakhs, I am sure it would sell.