Kms driven monthly - 300 kms/month

Bodyshell - Hatch

City/Highway split - 100:00

Max No.of Passangers - 2 most of the time  

Boot space Importance - Low

Usage by - Lady

Ownership - City

Safety -Medium

Prime requirement - Handling/FE/Resale/Safety in that order.

Softcorner'd Manufacturer -Don't care!

So the questions are :

1) Petrol OR Diesel?

2) Given answer to 1 what is my best choice?

Let me elaborate why I am asking Petrol or Diesel. Actually I know it doesn't make sense, but way the things are going, pretty soon it would be pretty hard to resale a Petrol car? I really want to be able to change the CAR in 5 years.

Sir,

my answer would still be in the favour of a petrol car. and the reason as always is going to be your limited usage.

Plus the extra money you pay for the diesel, it will take you more than 2 years to recover that money. Diesel motors are also high on maintenance and require more attention then a petrol motor. And I guess once the government decide to deregulate diesel, which will happen very soon, it will no longer be a viable choice for many.

If you are looking for a city car, then you can go ahead with an i10, easy to maintain and drive. Other cars to look for is a spark, Chevy has stepped up their game and are offering some great deals on spark, Plus its cheaper to own and has alternative fuel option. I'm not mentioning any car from Maruti's stable since everybody knows about them and you will find a million people to talk about them. So please excuse me.

If you are looking for a balanced highway and city performance then I would recommend a VW Polo. Has great highway dynamics, ride is very stable with no or minimum body roll. Exceptional fit and finish for a hatch.

If you want more room then nothing can compare to an i20 in India. Decent car with good city drive capability. The only downside is its price.

@paragmehta

Going by your monthly run, petrol car would be better but yes looking at how things are moving for petrol it won't be a bad thing to go for diesel.

If you go for diesel then you might as well use it for your other needs as well to capitalize on it.

For diesel, i would suggest you to look at Ritz/Figo/Beat.

Do note that Ritz facelift will be launched in couple of months.

Keeping in view your needs three options to choose from:

1. VW Polo Trendline (Petrol) - Though you don't get safety features like ABS/Airbags but none of the cars from any manufacturer is solidly build like this car except Skoda/fiat under 10 lac segment. Comfortline is a waste of money. So either Trendline or push your budget and get Highline(with safety equipments).

Please note that i am not commenting on utility of ABS/Airbags. These must be compulsory on every car but in our country monopoly manufacturer like Maruti/Hyundai(Who have more than 70% of market share) popularised cheap cars with no safety features. So this doesn't leave any option to other manufacurers other than having cars without safety equipment. Even the odd Honda known for safety first has Brio without safety features now. You can understand the market sentiment created by bigger carmakers with this example.

2. Beat LT(O) Petrol - This car has all blows and whistles. Has modern looks. Build quality is also good. Will not look odd even after 10 years.  Comes with 3 year/100000 kms warranty and fixed price 3 year's maintainance package which covers many items normally not covered under such packages.

3. Ford Figo ZXI (Petrol) - This car has both sides of good. Is big enough and have safety features also at this price point. But lacks the charm of the first two.

ashikawa2012-05-24 08:25:50

Hi,

@ashikawa,

I guess you have a polo 1.2? Did you ever consider the figo? My heart says Polo but head says Figo, only reason its a lot cheaper than Polo. But I never did a test drive of the figo since I do not want my head to win over my heart.(which is tough in this respect)

You did not elaborate much about the fit and finish, engineering, durability, FE etc of the figo in your last post. Looks is something very subjective so lets not consider that for the time being.   

Thanks for your reply guys, I will be doing a TD of BRIO,RITZ and BEAT and make a final decision.

I did some research (reading other people's reviews etc) and have ruled out FORD, VW and SKODA.

If I am not convinced by above 3, I will go for TOYOTA LIVA TD as well (but I will keep it as last resort because of several complains of heavy cost cutting).

Thanks for information. I check RITZ facelift on TBHP, IMHO, it's nothing worth waiting for at least the exterior (same ugly rear). Besides I need a CAR in couple of weeks so I can't wait for face lift.

Hi Parag,

Even i was in the your position till last month, looking for a car purely for City usage. I TD'd Beat, Figo, Micra & I10. Found Micra & I10 to be good w.r.t most of the factors. Striked-out Micra because of the less no of service centers. Finally booked I10 (however i booked an LPG version).

I would suggest you to go for Hyundai I10 1.2. Its a very good car and i am sure you will like the Interiors/Fit&Finish/Overall package etc...

Regards,

Sanzz...

sanzgod2012-05-24 12:32:48

@pragmehta

Two things come to my mind. One is, with the kind of budget you have, you can get a decent diesel hatch (chevy beat/ ford figo), on the other hand if you are really worried about whether you need a diesel relating to amount of travel, you can opt for petrol + lpg options (wagonr/eon/i10 bd).

Now if you buy a diesel car, you have nothing to loose, that is because you are ready to shell out 5-6L for a car, which can be petrol or diesel. Since you can get a new diesel one within that price, why bother. Even if diesel is deregulated it is highly unlikely to touch 80 rs/litre soon. Also you need not bother about depreciation at least in some years to come.

Moreover, since you are so bothered about efficiency and running costs, I would advice you not to spend so much on a petrol car. Leave those 1.2L cars. With the kind of requirement you mentioned, Eon, i10 1.1 or wagonR should do good justice. You do not need boot, you do not need highway materials, then why go for cars which are premium?

If you have made up your mind to buy a diesel, look no further to beat or figo, but if petrol is your final choice, I would suggest you to bring down that budget a bit and get the highest variants (with all safety features) of small engine cars.

All your option narrow down on one car very very strongly, the Brio. Its only downside is bootspace which is not of importance to you. The best engine in its class, extremely fuel efficient, good interiors and looks real good too. I remember some good offers on it too.

There is no use for putting extra money on diesel. That will just be a knee jerk reaction. You will be paying a lakh extra and given your very low running, it would take you around 8 years to make up for the price difference.

You can go for either:

-Beat Diesel

Reason being:

-Extremely fuel efficient(18-20kmpl in 100%city usage).

-Extremely easy to manoeuver in City.

-Strong acceleration for City usage.

-Comfortable & Well appointed Interiors.

-Chevrolet 3-year Free Maintenance programe.

Model     -Price (in Rs.)

Ex-showroom price, Ahmedabad

Chevrolet Beat Diesel 1.0 TCDi     461496

Chevrolet Beat Diesel 1.0 LS TCDi     488834

Chevrolet Beat Diesel 1.0 LT TCDi     533622

Chevrolet Beat Diesel 1.0 LT(O) TCDi     582301.

-Honda Brio(Petrol)

-Compact dimensions makes it easy to use for City

-Good acceleration from its 1.2 i-VTEC engine.

-Comfortable & Well appointed 3-tone Interiors.

-Honda Reliability(it can easily last 10 years/2-3 lac kms).

Ex-Showroom prices, Ahmedabad.

E MT      : Rs.   411,000

S MT      : Rs.   451,999

S(O) MT      : Rs.   507,000

V MT      : Rs.   532,000.

Both these cars are very much closely priced for similarly equipped variants. One gives you the edge in Daily usage(Beat) & another in its size & feel(Brio).

Choose any of them & you'll enjoy your ride for many couple of years.

Or else other conventional options include:

-Maruti A-star

(comes at great price i.e ~4 lacs for VXi variant + free accessories & other cash benefits).

-Hyundai i10

(comes with 5-star free Ownership program for 5 years for Zero cost of ownership, except fuel costs & Insurance other than 1st year).

Chevrolet Beat Petrol

(comes with Huge list of features, 3-year free Maintenance program & other freebies).

Over to you Paragmehta.

Select amongst these for further shortlisting, if you're still confused.

Hi' date='

@ashikawa,

I guess you have a polo 1.2? Did you ever consider the figo? My heart says Polo but head says Figo, only reason its a lot cheaper than Polo. But I never did a test drive of the figo since I do not want my head to win over my heart.(which is tough in this respect)

You did not elaborate much about the fit and finish, engineering, durability, FE etc of the figo in your last post. Looks is something very subjective so lets not consider that for the time being.   [/quote'] Yes. I own a Polo 1.2 TL Petrol. Yeah i considered both Figo and Beat while deciding. Both these are good cars. Both of them are great value for money with good quality all around.Ford has done a great job introducing the Figo. One of the best options available as on date. But once i saw Polo, sat inside and test driven it, i got mesmerized and couldn't change my decision of buying Polo. I could have bought a Swift or i20, if they sell it with atleast 1 lac discount. Because i don't feel they are worth the price. ashikawa2012-05-24 16:21:24

Not an expert but still would like to share my wishlist for you

Note :

Reading top - down is my list ,

Reading Bottom-up is the car industry survey list, numbers in front of cars show their ranking in the market today.

A Star Automatic - Cheapest Automatic to own , would add a convinience factor to your ride.

VW Polo - Built to last but its seems a bit longer though

Jazz - Is typically a soccer mom car  

Brio - Cheapest Honda to own.

4) i10 -Talking purely on sales an increase of 9% since facelift launch

3) Figo - Wins the feature/price point war. 

2) i20 -Very safe and Talking purely on sales an increase of 39% and since facelift launch

1) Swift - Segment leader but too long a wait  

@Mehta

How tall is your wife?

For avg height ladies, driving a Beat or A* or Spark is a pain( courtesy - High Dash)

My Advice is again Brio(if petrol) or Beat D(if your wife is tall). Next choice will be Pulse(if you have AfSS nearby)

And if none of the above, choose the Best Overall Car in India a.k.a Ritz D.

Thanks so much for your help guys. Going to TD today as well as throughout the weekend. I will post my feedback on Monday.

@creativebala : My wife is 5.4 . Besides I am not considering very under-powered engine (eg Spark/EON etc) purely for handling. The malls for eg, Himalaya Mall in Ahmedabad has steep climb for approx 20 feet with no ramp in between!. So I will like to give her a good car which she can use throughout the city.

For 5'4", I would st. away strike off A* & Beat from your probables, since you also say, steep climbs, so in no way, she could see anything in front.

So its a choice between Figo D or Brio P. TD both and also have a look at Pulse.

So guys we went through TD of BEAT, FIGO, SWIFT, RITZ and finally BRIO.

My wife liked Beat Diesel the best. @Creativebala, she didn't had any problems with visibility! And the climbs, BEAT did really well. Don't know where you got your info from, but I can confirm for 5.4 and climbs from parking lot of malls (confirmed from the one mentioned above!), it did just fine.

So we went ahead and booked BEAT D LS. Net price is 5.45 lacs. The delivery is going to be in a week. There was no discount but I threaten to take insurance from outside and then they gave free matting, mud flaps and remote lock. I did not wanted to take insurance from outside because in case of claim it is much more inconvenient(though it might have saved me like 5k)! If you take insurance from dealer, all your have to do is inform them and it's pretty much cashless and 0% Dep Cap from there on. This is my wife's first car, so I am pretty sure she will get some scratches :)

BRIO was close competition but difference of just 35k on road with BEAT D LS, made us tempted to go with Diesel. Now my wife has a car whose fuel cost is just marginally more than her ACTIVA :)

Thanks everyone for your views.

Congrats Mehta, when she is comfortable with high dash, Beat will be a perfect match for your needs.

Beat LS is the best package money can buy today. Its decently equipped with Front PW, CL, split seats, 3 yrs promise, awesome FE, excellent Looks..etc.

There is a 4" kenwood Component, fix it upfront.

Go for a decent 6*9 for rear tray and make sure, you have removable plugs so that you can remove the plonk while carrying bigger luggage. Do not forget the mdf wooden plonk here.

For HU, Pioneer, Blaupaunk, Alpine, Kenwood... all are good. Choose the one which impresses you financially as well as visually.

@paragmehta:

Congrats on booking New Beat Diesel LS.

By the way which color do you've booked ??

You're really getting good deal.

Do share your Ownership experience with it, in separate Ownership thread.

Goodluck. smiley1.gif