Durango Dude

Skoda Fabia...is very pricey..ya!

...And as expected ACI has gone to town, and painted the rosiest pic of the car in it's test drive:68 bhp, 15.8kgm, noisy engine, so what, Skoda can't go wrong, can they, ACI? Bet they can have a free run till the Honda Jazz arrives. Would they have given the same accolades had it been a Hyundai or Maruti...I doubt it...

One needs to drive the cars back to back before coming to any conclusions. Can you really compare a Swift to a Fabia? C'mon guys the two aren't even in the same class. Besides comments like East European hype show racism and igonorance. the Skodas are now 70 percent German (VW). Since when have diesel buyers been worried about bhp? they are more concerned about FE. Why does the Fiesta diesel (68bhp) outsell the Verna diesel (110bhp)?? because it is more fuel efficient. I am finding lots of forum members giving theoretical gyaan without any practical experience

The skoda fabia can never reallly give Honda jazz the run , but i fear for poor Skoda as they priced it higher and when swift and getz is delivering the needs of the people who will pay the extra money for the pice of Junk , the true color of Skoda will come to light only after a year or 2 , the Honda jazz and swift Petrol will give skoda fabia the run for money and the swift diesel along with Oncoming palio diesel will give fabia diesel a great fight , soo what to exppect ????  lets see if skoda has really really improved its fabia and also on the spares and maintainence, till then

Cheers!!!

No doubt the Jazz will give Fabia a run for its money but how can you call it 'Junk' Have you driven it mndvishnu?  please don't spoil quality of forum with your silly comments.

he calls it junk in his own opinion and that in no way will spoil the quality of the forum... he can post his opinion untill it doesnt affect personally!!!
and yes Fabia is going to be damn expensive, some how Skoda thinks Indians are all fools to pay the price for their but with Jazz coming in am sure we will pay price for the Honda which is always better than a Skoda. hope they will learn the so expensive lesson by this

Point taken but remember that there is lots of equipment in Fabia (park sensors, multiple airbags, on-board computer etc) so consumer may not mind paying high price. Skoda is only planning to sell 1200 a month which I am sure they can easily manage. Dont forget that honda is overpriced. look at City. it is bare compared to cheaper SX4. Fabia will be for those who want a high quality hatchback and can afford it. rest will go for the 'junta' swift diesel

Point taken but remember that there is lots of equipment in Fabia (park sensors' date=' multiple airbags, on-board computer etc) so consumer may not mind paying high price. Skoda is only planning to sell 1200 a month which I am sure they can easily manage. Dont forget that honda is overpriced. look at City. it is bare compared to cheaper SX4. Fabia will be for those who want a high quality hatchback and can afford it. rest will go for the 'junta' swift diesel[/quote']

myself and anyone will be ready to pay the price for the features that come with Fabia. however we know how many mechanical and electrical issues come with Skoda engines. they make the exteriors good and features and the price too good. just browse through the forum threads yourself to find out how many complaints have been posted from Skoda owners. hope you are one of them too

No am not a Skoda owner but one cannot presume that Fabia will be a trouble car just because some dissatisfied Skoda owners say so. Look at ratings in JD Power and other such surveys. Fabia is built with the latest technology which means it will be more reliable. Problem is not so much car but Skoda dealers which are very bad and give company a bad name

Jazz is the only car in its range to meet NHSTA 5 stars, something that even big SUVs fail sometimes, has five airbags and HONDA quality, pity its not in diesel but I still expect the sales to be higher than Skoda Fabia.

the problems of Skoda are not just understood from some owners who have troubles with it. its Skoda's responsibility to manage their dealers, Maruti and Hyundai dealers are not genuine nor honest but its just the way how these companies have learnt to manage their dealers.

another fact is that Skodas are mainly used as taxis in Europe but in India they make it so expensive but they have succeeded to create a brand image here in India and thats why they are still confident with their high prices..

VW is thinking of moving to the common rail club and moving away from pumpe duese, due to better refinement; so latest tech is always not the best. On the Touareg they use the common rail tech, not the pumpe duese. All said and done, Skoda cars are very expensive on the upkeep. And in no way is the Swift or Getz inferior to the Skoda; in fact they will be one up on the Fabia in refinement and way cheaper to buy and maintain. Probably, VW will off load Pumpe Duese on it's cheaper "Indian Luxury" sister Skoda: who will sell cars not it production any where else, as luxury marque and sell it for Rs.12 lakhs <Octavia, of course> and we feel proud to be duped by the Germans, don't we. If there is one real pretender in the Indian auto scene; Skoda, it sure is. Next probably they will bring in "Lada" and sell it as a luxury car...who knows, and there will people here to buy it, too. Durango Dude2008-01-06 15:59:08

No one is doubting that Fabia is not noisy and it is quite well reported that PD engine is noisy than CRDI. We all know Skoda cars are expensive to maintain. ACI spare parts guide is there for proof. You are missing the entire point. The Fabia FEELS far superior to the rattly Swift and boring Getz whose interiors are so basic in comparison. and it is FEEL GOOD FACTOR that finally determines the buying decision. I am amazed how 'experts' comment on car without driving same one. I feel petrol engine will also be successful because it will not have noisy diesel engine. noisy engine is biggest drawback not the performance (adequate) or fuel consupmtion (very good)

I was myself surprised to read that on the Fabia they have gone the PD route instead of the CR route. They could have done the 3/4 exercise on the Octavia engine rather than the Laura engine!

As for the feel good after five years it depends a lot on the build quality. I (unfortunately by the looks of it) have an Accent 1.5 GLS which is 5-1/2 years old with only 41k on the odometer. This week I am putting it in for its FOURTH pair of rear dampers. I had feel good when I bought it by now have @#$%^ only. It does give me 13+kpl on the Expressway with AC.

well maybe the fabia has lots more features, maybe its more spacious, more fun to drive, better ride, cabin quality, better image, but will i pay 2 lakhs more for it, over the swift or getz........? i dont think so. i had better buy a fiesta or SX4...

also, its not fair to compare the fabia with the swift and getz. the fabia should be considered as  premium hatchback. i dont think it will have much buyers, but if the general perception of buyers in india about hatchbacks change, well and good for skoda.

Yeah, its thumbs down to a PD over the common rail when in late 2007, VW announced that it will introduce common rail all over the world. The hi-tech gadgetry has many luxury car alikes but it surely  is'nt worth the 7.5L that Skoda is demanding for the top end 3 cylinder 1422 cc diesel. 

agreed the Swift and Getz not to be compared with Fabia...we understand that Fabia is a premium hatch. am Jazz is also gonna be a premium hatch but question is will Skoda deliver to its price.... Skodas are always less reliable... i wont pay for a product which has a lot of features in latest technologies but it lacks the basic reliability, on the other hand even if i wanted a premium hatch i will prefer Jazz and recommend Hondas over Skodas

to be really honest, i was expecting this topic to come up at some point of time. and what i feared would be the Fabia's problem in India also came true- that of the engine being the weak point of the package, in terms of its specs on paper.you see, a 68bhp 1.4 diesel and a 1.2ltr petrol (expected in future) just doesnt make the cut for a 7 lakh car in India. that's because we Indians have very set ideas about what a car at a certain price is to be like. for eg, a car about 5lakh should have a boot, or a car costing 10lakh should be more spacious than a car costing 5lakh etc etc...slowly we are seeing a shift in this trend, and hopefully we will see more intelligent buyers soon.

so am i justifying Skoda's choice of engines for India? definitely not!!! they should have got in a more powerful diesel engine just because the competition offers it (Swift and Getz). i mean, why cant they offer two diesel options-say one 68bhp and another 100bhp. similarly, why cant we have a 120bhp scorcher petrol - that would truly make a hot hatch given that the Fabia is dynamically very good.

another thing, about Skoda's reliability. now i dont personally own one nor know someone who does. but i remember reading in Hormadz's column in Autocar a few months back when he sat in a Skoda Octavia taxi with 6lakh kilometres on the odo.................