Durango Dude

Skoda Fabia...is very pricey..ya!

no its not contradicting at all. Skoda is expecting only 1200 sales a month. that is low by hatchback standards. if vehicle was cheaper more sales would follow as more could afford it. It is well known that more expensive the car, the lower the sales

so where is the contradiction?!!
and we all are accepting that Fabia is expensive (but it is really high quality car)

on more powerful engines. tell me one car where the more powerful option is the better seller. Name one!

Palio - 1.2 sold better than 1.6

Ikon 1.3 better than 1.6

Fiesta 1.4 better than 1.6

Aveo 1.4 better than 1.6

Alto 0.8 better than 1.1 (soon it was stopped)

Getz 1.1 better than 1.3

so why should skoda give more powerful option when no is going  to buying them??

weak point of skoda's engine is not power output but noise levels from 3-cylinder.

Hey,

1) The fabia is not VFM, the engine is not the best around. Build quality may be very good, but in any car below 7-8 lakhs, other aspects like spare parts prices, servicing matter a lot.

2) Skoda will sell 1000-1500 units per month. There are people in the country who would buy it for the snob value.

3) SWIFT would remain unaffected. It will continue to do good numbers. May be few who would have opted for the ZXI may go in for the skoda petrol.

4) The honda jazz too would be priced very high, might sell small numbers like skoda due to the lack of a diesel.

5) The dark horse in this segment would be the punto, which I hope will do well.

Do you really understand which car is better and which is worst? Skoda offers great build quality (VW owns skoda brand...and same holds true with VW cars as well ) and certainly not piece of junk. If they price it very aggressively then it can click in indian market.

Do you really understand which car is better and which is worst? Skoda offers great build quality (VW owns skoda brand...and same holds true with VW cars as well ) and certainly not piece of junk. If they price it very aggressively then it can click in indian market.

Dont expect any great build quality from the Skoda , beware!! , the Skoda is not at all that great as it seems like , the laura styling and a new red color to it makes it very cute but , beware , all that glitters are not gold

Soo i would anyday have always have 2nd thoughts on me or my friends buying a Heady Skoda brand Cars!!!!!!!

Regards,

priya

A Premium Hatch is a segment which Skoda is trying to open in India. Let us wish them luck.

I do not think Skoda build quality is that bad. However, I must say either the Fabia is God's Own Creation or ACI has really gone over the top in its review. May be all the hype over the past couple of years has added to it.  Let us watch for the user's reports.

sgiitk2008-01-07 05:06:36

A Premium Hatch is a segment which Skoda is trying to open in India. Let us wish them luck.

I do not think Skoda build quality is that bad. However' date=' I must say either the Fabia is God's Own Creation or ACI has really gone over the top in its review. May be all the hype over the past couple of years has added to it.  Let us watch for the user's reports.
[/quote']

What is the hype and what is over the top in ACI's test. the negatives are quite clear and something everyone is agreeing on. ACI has highlighted noisy engine and premium price as negative. That is common feeling on this forum. Have you driven Fabia? My friend is a Skoda dealer and he said ACI test was spot on.

Obviously a Skoda dealers' vested interests will make him come out with a statement like that.

Rs.7.5L for a East European re-skinned VW Golf hatch is a joke and calling it God's Own Creation is journalistic license stretched too far. VW Golf has truly poor quality rep and is quite poorly build as well. Has high levels of reliability issues, lets hope the Fabia has learnt to iron out those. Except for the fuel economy and the Diesel factor, there is absolutely no justification spending so much money when one can get a City close to the same price and the more powerful Getz CRDi which is among the best value at less price.Gurkha2008-01-07 07:29:46

well as far as i have seen, skoda's build quality is quite nice, i mean on the octavia and laura.

ya, but as gurkha said, they are not opitomes of reliabilty. all skodas are prone to clutch problems in their early life as well as many small niggling issues.

Obviously a Skoda dealers' vested interests will make him come out with a statement like that.

Rs.7.5L for a East European re-skinned VW Golf hatch is a joke and calling it God's Own Creation is journalistic license stretched too far. VW Golf has truly poor quality rep and is quite poorly build as well. Has high levels of reliability issues' date=' lets hope the Fabia has learnt to iron out those. Except for the fuel economy and the Diesel factor, there is absolutely no justification spending so much money when one can get a City close to the same price and the more powerful Getz CRDi which is among the best value at less price.[/quote']

Did not know a country determined the quality of a car- your comments are quite racist according to me. Skoda is now known for quality that matches best in Europe. Strange you can make such comments without even driving the car

I am Sorry but comfort inside cabin (more space than any other hatch) and interior layout is enough justification (for some, not the majority) to buy the car.

Getz CRDI is zero value even Hyundai knows this. It is a complete flop! once again, you go on about power but who is wanting power in a diesel 110bhp in a hatch is complete waste! only appealing to people who give free opinions but not to those who finally put down hard earned money. Your comments do not reflect market conditions and reality.

Last thing, Skoda dealer is family friend. there is no vested interests with family friend. he spoke from the heart and not to me as a customer. So sorry! do not agree with your viewpoint!

LOL! East Europe has never stood for quality and VW or Skoda is the last word in quality, I have owned VW and won a lawsuit against VW to get my money refunded. How many VW have you owned or have collected data on? If you are talking about racism, check the comments posted on the Mahindra Scorpio test in Australia, thats racism for you. By the way, how do you know I haven't driven a Fabia?, are you aware of my social circle or my stature or my access to various automobiles. You challegned sgiitk in the same way, its rude of you in every sene.

110bhp diesel hatch sold for less is a waste and a east Euro hype made by VW and sold for 7.5L reflect market for you. Obviously hype rather than performance is the asset of you choice. I can tell you with contention, market aside, 7.5L hatch will be a bomb and even Indians have now realized to look through the Euro marketing hype as seen by the Renault Logan flop. Are you aware about who are the global players in the automotive world. Please check again and bring the whole world to the equation, just not India. How many Fabias are sold in SE Asia or for that matter how many Golf are sold in US. There are more Hyundais sold FYI and of course, I won't even bring the Japanese in this equation.

Doesn't matter if you agree with my viewpoint, a Skoda dealer will obviously peddle his bread and butter and will also have a narrowed perspective in his/her assessment and it definitely can not be considered a fair judgement in any sense.Gurkha2008-01-07 08:11:19

Someone commented that VW is reliable, that a joke of a statement.

In the April 2004 edition's reliability page (page 17), VW bottomed out at 28th out of 30 for 3 year old Passats and DEAD LAST (29th of 29) for 5 year old Passats. On page 81, Volkswagen has 3 models (Golf, Jetta, New Beetle) in the "REPEAT OFFENDERS" section of "USED CARS TO AVOID". On the same page, Passat 1998-2000, 2002 4 cyl, and 1996-1997 6cyl make the general AVOID list.

Also do check www.myvwlemon.com for the true accounts of owners with VW and their woes. Touareg is among the lowest most unreliable vehicle in its class with multiple recalls, just google Touareg and you will see its chequered history.

Someone commented that VW is reliable' date=' that a joke of a statement.

In the April 2004 edition's reliability page (page 17), VW bottomed out at 28th out of 30 for 3 year old Passats and DEAD LAST (29th of 29) for 5 year old Passats. On page 81, Volkswagen has 3 models (Golf, Jetta, New Beetle) in the "REPEAT OFFENDERS" section of "USED CARS TO AVOID". On the same page, Passat 1998-2000, 2002 4 cyl, and 1996-1997 6cyl make the general AVOID list.

Also do check www.myvwlemon.com for the true accounts of owners with VW and their woes. Touareg is among the lowest most unreliable vehicle in its class with multiple recalls, just google Touareg and you will see its chequered history.[/quote']

oh ho! you obviously like to believe what you choose to. everyone knows that these surveys dont tell the true picture. they only highlight the problems not the issues. its obvious you base your judgement on websites with dubious credibility. anyone can go to a website and post what not and what they like. You cannot have driven Fabia in india because its not released yet! Just because Australian make racist remark on Scorpio, doesn't condone your remark on East Europe - don't side step this fact! What about Getz CRDi becoming a complete FLOP! Only 321 cars were sold last month. What do you have to say about this?  Also, VW sells more cars globally than Hyundai. In China which is biggest market in Asia, it is leader. What do you have to say about this?

There is no point in further discussion with you as you are very biased person making judgement on car without it being given a chance to perform in Indian market . smiley7.gif

CR doesn't do survey, first get familiar with these ratings and then talk, its obvious you are Skoda fanatic in every sense. VW sells junk period and is rated way lower than Hyundai. The only reason they manage to sell in China is because they were the first to enter the market with the Fox which was made in joint collaboration with a Chinese company. That don't negate the fact that VW has made junk. I have not driven the Fabia in India but your dealer friend has?, thats preposterous in every sense. I don't live in India anyways, so I have not only driven the Fabia, my sister in law owned one for a year till she upgraded to a Toyota Camry for obvious reasons. Since you give the dubious logic that Hyundai hasn't higher numbers of Getz, if going by sales numbers, Maruti is the best vehicle around period. The reason Getz hasn't sold is due to its price, no one in India is willing to spend over 6L in a hatch. This should tell you how great a flop Skoda Fabia will be. The world sales figures and CR reports in US are final authority, so are the words of car magazines there like R&T, C&D etc. When they rave about Skoda or VW Golf which is the equivalent sold in US, then come back and do the Aarti that you are doing in Skoda currently.

There is no sense in raving about Fabia, if it was a world beater, Toyota and Honda would be shivering in their shoes by the global sales numbers, obviously you are hooked on Skoda and your vision is clouded to see the marketing nightmare of a 7.5L hatch. In that case Chevy had a hot hatch in India in the 6L bracket which looked nice but due to the high price, failed miserably. Its totally hopeless to discuss with a person who fails to see logic. Looks like Skoda is the only vehicle you have been exposed to.

Lastly check the meaning of racism, its hatred of people based on race as reflected by the comments left on the Scorpio test, I am not condemning the Eastern Europeans people in general, just the stuff they are making currently so stop taking a holier than thou attitude on this regard. Need I remind you of Lada, Yugo, Trabant etc.

Gurkha2008-01-07 10:51:06

hey guys, chill... well, even i think that skodas are high on maintainence and the fabia is priced very high. but its aint no junk! the 72 bhp swift diesel is more fun to drive than the 110 bhp getz CRDi, because of the excess turbo lag of the hyundai motor, so its not always about bhp. fabia is a bigger car with much more features and a better cabin, so its bound to be expensive.

also, all members are bound to love or be partial to some cars they own or like. so by calling them junk or crap, we just offend our forum friends and then a heated debate begins, which is uncalled for. so, its best avoided. of course, i am not saying that opinions or views should not be shared, dont get me wrong, but can be done in a polite way, what say?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/volkswagen.htm

Patrick of Harwich MA (5/19/05):

Thanks to the fabulous engineering at Volkswagen USA, my 2001 VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo has been in and out of VW dealerships like salmon up the stream during mating season. As an honest man or woman you are lost to these salesmen and corporate (types) at VW. I have seen a water pump recently kill the timing belt and the cylinder head, some 15,000 miles before the water pump should ever have to be replaced. I've seen the all-too-often problems of the repeated check engine light, windows, and anything but expected performance out of my VW Jetta.

http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.

I have driven the petrol and disel Swift as well as my friend's Getz CRDi, the CRDi blows the Petrol Swift, the diesel is not even in the picture. Hyundai used a small quick spool Garret research turbo which has minimal lag but no turbo is without lag. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of performance ratio on the Getz CRDi and the only thing it looses to the Swift is looks and handling which I admit with stock tires is a bit porky but with the right set of plus one sized Yokohama Advan or AVS, it can run give cars like the City VTEC a good run for money.

You have missed the whole point haven't you? if cars sold only on quality then, Indica would be coming LAST. There is no denying that Japanese cars are more reliable than Europe models but people also buy cars for EMOTION. That is where the FEEL-GOOD factor of cars like Fabia are making sense. Once again, Fabia will not sell in large numbers, I have never said that but the people who buy them, are wanting a car for a certain feel that no japanese car gives. this is why Octavia outsells Corolla in India because it FEELS better. Corolla is cheaper and more reliable but it has BOMBED.

On foreign magazines, don't suck up to goras. These journalists are known to take money and even have petrol in their car filled by company. Did you know that Jeremy Clarkson charges appearance fee to come to a car dealership? These guys are very commercial.

You are giving examples of foreign from Harwich and Westlake. talk about Bombay and Pune man. dont me so swayed by the phoren angle!  don't kill the Fabia before it is launched. only a prejudiced person would do that.

as for Getz CDRDi let us talk after Fabia is launched. I am betting that even if Fabia is more expensive it will outsell Getz.

well, i still feel the swift is a better car to drive. i drove my cousin's swift D, the only thing he did was change the standard tyres to fatter rubber. its precise, well balanced steering and rally based suspension gives that fun factor which is not present in the getz's "tuned for ride" suspension set up. also, the getz's steering is not that direct at high speeds. i know about hyundai's turbo, but still the turbo lag is very apparent in the city. also, the swift's gear shifts are better.

hey roadangel, i agree to you. especially the fact that lets talk about the indian scenario and not the foreign market. both markets are quite different. different buyers, different expectations.

but hey, corolla sells more than the octavia.

Raj,

Agreed on all points but the fact remains, Swift petrol feels wheezy when compared to Getz diesel, on highways, the Getz blows away all including Palio S and only City VTEC manages to edge past it. On top of that it returns frugal diesel economy so its quite a good high performance value.

You have missed the whole point haven't you? if cars sold only on quality then' date=' Indica would be coming LAST. There is no denying that Japanese cars are more reliable than Europe models but people also buy cars for EMOTION. That is where the FEEL-GOOD factor of cars like Fabia are making sense. Once again, Fabia will not sell in large numbers, I have never said that but the people who buy them, are wanting a car for a certain feel that no japanese car gives. this is why Octavia outsells Corolla in India because it FEELS better. Corolla is cheaper and more reliable but it has BOMBED.

?

On foreign magazines, don't suck up to goras. These journalists are known to take money and even have petrol in their car filled by company. Did you know that Jeremy Clarkson charges appearance fee to come to a car dealership? These guys are very commercial.

?

You are giving examples of foreign from Harwich and Westlake. talk about Bombay and Pune man. dont me so swayed by the phoren angle!? don't kill the Fabia before it is launched. only a prejudiced person would do that.

?

as for Getz CDRDi let us talk after Fabia is launched. I am betting that even if Fabia is more expensive it will outsell Getz.
[/quote']

Its not PHOREN angle, don't act overtly patriotic here and try and cloud the real issue. Are you going to deny a C&D or R&T journalists vast exposure to the automotive world, tell me, when did India start getting exposed to foreign autos. Phoren means volumes and the lenght of exposure to autos which in turn means more experience and data collected on reliability. Fabia is already dead by the dint of its price tag, no one has to kill it.

Now for some VW facts........

http://www.grumblemutterspit.org/vwsucks/

http://www.cars-that-suck.com/stories.html#200411

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a3006/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/vw_jetta_window.html

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/columnists/2004/04/13/cz_jf_0413flint.html

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/06/C03-52029.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/automan_oil.html

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=39115&IsPgd=0

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/vw_jetta.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-05-11-vw_x.htm

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7086&sid=175&n=156

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/51b9e9efe0d25b3d85256b3e00634d10?OpenDocument

http://www.lemonlaw.com/

http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/Volkswagenoilconsumption.htm

http://www.accidentreconstruction.com/news/dec03/120903b.asp

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/vw

http://cbs2chicago.com/investigations/

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-06-29-power-dependability-chart.htm

http://www.boughtalemon.com/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/vw_recall.html

http://www.drizzten.com/blargchives/000205.html

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/columnists/2004/10/26/cz_jf_1026flint.html

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/autos/cr_auto_reliability/index.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-06-29-power-dependability-chart.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13186768/

hey, i am not talking about the performance of the engine. its but obvious that the 72 bhp suzuki is no match for the 110 bhp hyundai. i am talking about the fun to drive factor.

and these are targeted as city cars, so not much worth discussing how capable they are on the highways, since most small cars rarely spend their time on highways. that what i meant when i said the hyundai with its turbo lag is a chore in the city. yes, i do agree, the getz CRDi can leave even midsize cars behind, but thats on the highway...

If you think Getz has Turbo lag, wait till you drive a 911 Porsche...........nothing happens for seconds and then all 350bhp of hell is unleashed in a rear engine rear heavy vehicle all of a sudden but that never did make it unpopular in any sense. I still fill Getz CRDi is an excellent compromise for those looking for performance with diesel economy. Pity neither the hatch nor the sports car market got to realize that. Getz needs the look near-abouts Swift to sell itself and the price factor also has to come down. That was my original point, no one is willing to pay upward of 6L for a hatch, no matter how good it is.