Sign in to follow this  
ashikawa

TDI or Qudrajet - Urgent help needed

Dear ACI'ns

My Friend is buying a Vista Diesel car under current TATA offer which ends on June 20,2012. He is buying a Vista Diesel and has two options to choose from:

1. Vista TDI (LS)       - 4,63,000/- on road

2. Vista Qudrajet(LS) - 5,31,000/- on road

The car will be used for personal as well as semi-commercial purpose.My queries are:

1.Does it worth to spend 68k extra on qudrajet for a little silent and smooth engine?

2. Which will be costly to maintain among this?

3. Which will be better to buy?

All your suggestions are welcome.

1 - it depends on how long is your friend going to keep this vehicle.

2 - this would be hard to answer as keeping in mind that this TDI version was favoured by Taxi segment people for its frugalness.

3 - if your friend wants to enjoy the drive, extra mileage which would be about 2 to 4 KMPL as compared to TDI and a better resale value - for for Quadrajet.
Sstar2012-06-18 09:10:27

Since the decision to buy the Vista is already taken, my suggestion would be

It is worth to spend Rs.68000/- more for Qudrajet as this is not only silent and refine engine, but it is also a engine made by Fiat used in Punto,Ritz and Swift which is more reliable and long lasting.

TDI is very noisy and more costly in maintenance

But when you look at TATA, they lack good service set ups and maintenance will be always high after a year or so.

Think twice before going for TATAs due to various aspects and I wish all the good luck

Let me add few more points for clarity:

1. In current rising petrol prices even people who actually should buy a petrol are tend to buy diesel.

2. In small towns Tata is providing good services and their cars are the cheapest of the lot.

3. People in small town consider space/price/extra uses etc. in mind while buying a car.

4. Spending extra(68k) requires really impressing reasons to such buyers.

5. As of now he is inclined towards TDI due to budget constraints. Let's see what transpires by the evening.

Frankly speaking, I see little difference amongst the two, from the point view of a buyer whose requirement is limited and the car is used for personal use only. For such a limited-use user, it makes a lot of sense to go in for a TDI and spend the difference in the basic cost (and about 16% road tax thereon and another sizeable amount to be saved on annual insurance etc.,) in sprucing up the car. That's my personal opinion in these times (when the fuel costs are skyrocketing) when one should hear to the head and not to the heart.

I would say go for the TDi itself because it is a known workhorse engine . The quadrajet is awesome in its own right and gives excellent refinement and a bit better FE .

Since he is buying a TDI that means that the varient is base one and buying a TDi is better . The resale will be at par with the quadrajet (around 40k less after 3yrs and 36k use) so by no means he will loose on resale (good taxi market demand).

Only advantage of TDI is, it can be serviced at any road side shop as an Ambassador, other than that, it is of no compare to the MJet. This point is again useful if and only if your friend lives in a remote or a village area.

My suggestion, MJet.

For commercial use the cheapest one will make sense .

If he enjoys driving and its not just his way to reach from point A to point B , ask him to opt for the Quadrajet

A timely investement in a superior product is never regretted.

Best option is to go for Quadrajet dieseled one.

It is;

-More Reliable than TDi.

-More Silent.

-with Better Acceleration.

-Better driveability.

-Better fuel efficiency.

& Hence better longevity of the car with Good in-cabin comfort & On-road experience.

Maintenance wise, Quadrajet isn't too much expensive to maintain, heard of its Rs.1800-2000 cost/10,000km service.

Problem with its TDI engine isn't only that its noisy or unrefined, instead its very much Un-Reliable.

TATA motors haven't reached the Industry standard level of Reliability & Trouble-free for its engines & gearboxes for its cars.

Its only the FIAT engines & gearboxes, who've added the desirability Quotient to New-age TATA cars, else everyone knows the Real story.

Even TATA Safari's 2.2 VTT DiCOR engine isn't completely rid of the niggles.

Thanks for all yours kind suggestions. I have informed all your suggestion to my friend. Also described all the pros and cons mentioned by all of you.

The car has been booked, its TDI Vista LS. Friend was on a tight budget and reached onroad price of TDI after extending his budget.

His considerations were:
1. Spending 70k more on QJ will result in additional expenditure of arond 1 lac with interest .
2. He was ok with sound and vibration as he did not drive any car before, except engine everything is same in TDI and QJ.
3. TDI will be easy to resale in taxi market. Low initial price will fetch better resale because 2nd hand TDI sells very easily in taxi segment.
4. Diesel car at this price was the cheapest option to go for.
5. Car can be repaired anywhere even in villages with the help of local machenics.
6. Since the car won't be driven too much(semi commercial use ruled out) so he expects it to be light on maintainance.

@Ashikawa

I agree with all your points except the 6th one as I have very close friend who always cry telling me about his maintenance issues and bills of his Vista TDI.

I do not know much directly about this, but still your friend got time before he takes the delivery, hence please check up on this with other members who own this car

Anyway congratulations for a new buy !!

A wise decision by your friend for choosing the TDi . That said quadrajet is still the better engine overall but the price difference to its TDi varient is too much to stretch for people on tight budget .

BTW ACI magzine nowadays doesn't mention about TDi prices.

BTW ACI magzine nowadays doesn't mention about TDi prices.

Obviously.

Because TDi is a BS-III variant, which is generally not sold in Metropolitan cities of the country, in which BS-IV regulations are applicable.

Only its CR4, DiCOR & Quadrajet engines are BS-IV compliant.

The TDI is a good choice. Follow some simple rules to keep it trouble free.

a. Idle down for a minute before shut down especially after a long hard ride.

b. Keep the air and fuel filters clean.

c. Follow the oil change routine.

d. Have the tank cleaned every two years to keep the sludge and moisture out.

a. Idle down for a minute before shut down especially after a long hard ride.

i could not understand what purpose it serves to idle down for a minute before shut down, i was told the same thing after i bought the automatic scorpio they could not explain its need but asked me to do so anyways

^^^

Remember class I or II experiment where we heat a talcum powder tin and suddenly pour water in it. It crumbles. Moral of the stry, Sudden change in temperature is bad for anything/everything. same applies to Turbo also.

You should not drive faster in first 5mins of your drive or should not shut down immediately after a harsh/long drive. Turbos react bad to sudden temp difference.