Sign in to follow this  
Lokesh

Bajaj Discover 100: Advantages of 5-speed gearbox over 4-speed gearbox

Bajaj Discover 100 offers 4-speed gearbox and the new 5-speed gearbox. For this discover 100 I want to know techical advantages of 5-speed gearbox over 4-speed gearbox.

Out of both which variant of Discover100 should be preferred to buy (4-speed gearbox or 5-speed gearbox).

Please give any expert advice on this. Present test reports if any.

In Practical day to day life,

This won't matters much as your bike is 4 or 5 geared(for a same 'cc' engine), instead the thing which matters you more is the Speed at which you drive mostly & the traffic type which you face & tackle daily.

While comparing 4 & 5-geared bikes(for same 'cc')

-4-geared bike give you advantage of less gearshifting in trafficky city conditions, as always you'll be having 1 gear less to toggle with.

-For such trafficky conditions 2nd gear is most handy to tackle them & in 5-geared engines, 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear ratios are sub-divided to match the overall 2nd, 3rd gear pattern of 4-geared engines, as Top-gear is always almost similar for same engine capacity is its always meant to handle the extra-torque & Rpm to balance the speeds with minimum fuss.

So, for pure city driving, I'd prefer 4 geared bikes, theoretically & as from my experience.

Typically, 5 gear one will be better ridden on highways as changing many gear many times in congestion would not easy whereas 4 gears will give you ease in bumper to bumper to traffic.