Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

Mahindra XUV500. Is it really that good or?

The Mahindra XUV500 has been a game changer in the Indian SUV market. A world class product at a fabulous price made customers make a run to the showroom to get one for themselves. Crazy number of bookings and theres still a huge waiting list. But there have been some problems. Owners have reported issues especially with the electronics and the gadgetry on the XUV. Im sure the issues will be taken care of with time but did customers make a mistake by hurrying up and buying the car? It would be nice to know your opinions. Would be nice to hear from XUV owners on the forum as well

Mahindra-XUV-500-Colors.jpg

Not driven the XUV but have had a fair share of rides in it and also the Aria, and would say that the Aria wins in the ride-quality department. XUV's just too on the bouncy side.

Horsy you've touched upon a topic very relevant to the times. XUV shook the market like a storm & for all the right reasons. It has most things going for it but most importantly it has managed to create a new segment, that of budget SUV's. No competition at all in or around the segment is a huge factor in its favour.

I myself was considering buying one since its launch but then thought of waiting because ideally if one is in the market for a Tata or a Mahindra product, it pays to wait for atleast a year post launch by when you can expect the initial niggles that crop up getting sorted. Guess everyone by now has heard of the initial batches of consumers complaining of some or the other issue with the vehicle, I sitting by the side feel lucky not to have bought one! I still might buy one a year & a half down the lane but as for now, im staying at an arms length.

Competition is also warming up itself for an onslaught, waiting may just reward in that form!

XUV is the king only because of no competitor. If Maruti decided to bring the next Gen Grand Vitara not as CBU but manufacture it here, with a 1.9 DDiS engine from Fiat that powers it abroad, it has an extremely good chance of breaking the backs of not on XUV and Aria, but also threaten higher volume Safari and Scorpio.

The XUV is certainly not "World Class". There are lots of areas where it needs improvement. However, its price to equipment and space ratio is fantastic and it looks good. Apart from that, Mahindra has built a rugged, reliable and low maintenance image among Indians with its Scorpio and Bolero.

Current competition?

1. Aria - The 4x2 is good. But it has its own set of problems.

2. Force One - Really?

XUV5oo is a heck of a VFM package but then yes it does come with set of problems.

As many have mentioned/experienced with M&M/Tata that it's better to wait and watch their new launches and not succumb to temptation.

For me, i would rather buy a plain, simple but reliable, free of niggles vehicle rather than buying a fancy one and spending days/weekends in the service station.

Yes, it is true that there are a few problems that The XUV500 is facing related to the electronics of the car. But i'm sure every 1st batch and set of cars do face a bit of problems. It's always advisable to wait for atleast 2 months till we can get the proper review of the car. Nevertheless, its a known truth that The XUV500 is an amazing car, and has taken the country by a storm. Hat's off to Mahindra for creating a niche in the market, with the host of features that The XUV500 boasts of. Come on, we cant expect a 14 lakh SUV to deliver you wonders that a 30-35 lakh SUV would ! Cheers !

When the Car Looks very Good, VFM, Diesel and from a reputed manufacturer, our Am Junta rarely think about its demerits.

Point in case :

1. Swift LDI & VDI braking

2. i20 with steering rattle, bad ride, bad handling, bad AC...

So, XUV is bad( initial niggles) and too much of electronics from M&M is definitely a problem poser, but Who cares as long as XUV looks good, XUV is Diesel, XUV is VFM & XUV is M&M.

Edited by creativebala

XUV 5oo is successful because unexpected price (Or right price considering Brand and manufacturer) when launched because it was speculated that M&M will price just like TATA ARIA due to it's "PREMIUM" tag.

There are glitches reported in gears of XUV5oo but overall the vehicle have proved itself which can be judged by the number of vehicles sold.

M&M has already proved itself in SUV and MUV segment by offering vehicles like Scorpio , Xylo, Thar and also Bolero and this has bult-up more confidence in existing M&M customers as well as new consumers to go for a premium M&M vehicle.

Instead of trying to establish in all segment just like TATA , M&M kept itself to SUV and improved to an acceptable level.

Also recent takeover by M&M of Sangyong and introduction of Logan as Verito has changed people's perception about M&M.

M&M also gradually progressed perfectly in brand building exercise by organising events such as Desert Storm rally which has changed people's outlook about M&M a lot.

Moreover XUV5oo got 4 Points out of 5 in ANCAP crash Test.

Personally, I am disappointed by XUV 500 as a product. The ride and handling is pathetic and it suffers from serious flaws like torque steer. The gearshift is poor, the interiors are overdone and the styling too is a bit OTT. Sadly, Indians don't buy a car on merit but on perception. The XUV 500 looks great in their eyes. is packed with features (some of them are pointless or don't work properly) and for the price there is simply nothing else. A good effort by M&M no doubt but it doesn't deserve the kind of success it has seen

I recently got my XUV 2WD delivered last week. The car is amazing so far and has no niggles so far. The cars manufactured since April is reported to have many issues like the brake feel, gearshift and interior quality improved. We test drove the launch vehicle in October 2011 and found that the gearshift and brakes were bad. Now after we got our May manufactured XUV delivered, we were sceptible about the few electronic niggles, gearshift quality and brake pedal feel. But to our surprise we actually found the gearshift to be much smoother(though not Ertiga quality, but close) and the brakes are more progressive. The interior quality to feel improved and a lot of the textures and opening mechanisms of the storage bins are better. General fit and finish is improved too.

I cant say the XUV is the best in class as its ride is not sorted as we would like but its not that bad. The handling of this car is great and feels like a saloon car on a much higher stance and size. There is body roll under hard cornering but as far as 'The Torque Day' test drive reports at the Buddh International Circuit go, many car experts have actually praised the XUV's dynamics. Here is one link:

http://www.overdrive.in/details/1407/Mahindra-XUV500-Torque-Day

The XUV is an amazing effort by M&M as its got phenomenal features, punchy engine, decent dynamics and comfortable interiors.

For interested customers, my advice is to wait for the next phase booking and book the XUV then. By that time, the XUV might be more sorted and much improved and its electronic glitches would have been ironed out. XUV is an icon not just for looks and price, dig deep and you will find an actually competent car.

I got my XUV last month & i have covered nearly 5000K so far. Mashallah i am really happy with overall performance of the vehicle so far. i had seen so many people complaining about electronic glitches. But so far i didn't experience any of these glitches. May be because my vehicle is from 2nd or 3rd edition after rectification. Mashallah all r working smoothly & became very useful to me.

There was a small steering shivering while i go above 120 Km, that was cleared by a wheel alignment from the showroom (free). Also as some where saying about break noise, yes, it was there during my long journey from Kerala to Bangalore in rain & mud. But breaking was perfect during my all journey except the sound. The sound was also disappeared while i visited showroom. That's it.

My overall verdict: Hats off to Mahindra. Eye catching, Very useful features especially Hill assist, Navigation, etc,etc, comfortable, powerful engine (u can challenge anybody on the road), whatever speed u go vehicle stays in ur control, very good mileage (15.4 in highway), etc. Full VFM.

The XUV5OO is the class of VFM defination and it is loaded so much that the people buying 10lakhs + amount of Fortuner also have a look at it . The VFM was even more so to do with the really bad pricing of the ARIA because the top end was on road 19 lakhs were as the XUV was 16 lakhs . Personally I don't like the design of the XUV (too many lines) I liked ACI's digital design of the car before it was launched .

The Good things

1.The engine is a torque monster

2.The looks go down well to my dad (not me)

3.These are lots of features and creature comfort and the second row is great (after the safari offcourse).

The things that didn't appeal to me on test drive

1. Torque Steer - This is really very bad you goes to counter the torquesteer in heavy accleration and it is a safety hazard for new drivers .

2. Poor Quality plastics - Well the test drive vehicle had poor plastics especially the vents and the shiny wood trim . But other plastic quality is acceptable (I compare the plastic to my i20).

3. Another problem was and still is in the test drive vehicle of continuous beeps of no navigation , tyres pressure fault ,rear AC not working and bad gear shift . These issues were still not taken care of after I test drove the same vehicle after 6 months but my relative was appalled by these issues and now is looking for YETI.