Sign in to follow this  
sri_k

i10 engine oil suggestion

I currently own i10 irde2 car..i have been getting the car serviced at HASS..the mechanic at HASS told that hyundai recommends 20W40 oil for i10 cars including kappa..

In manual it they have recommended the 5W30 grade engine oil..Although i saw this grade of engine oil is available in the market,then when i pointed this to SA he politely said its not for this car..

Also car's engine seems to be making lot of noise as its being run on diesel...my friend had told the oil could be culprit...

Please recommend grade&whether by going for semi synt would make any difference?

Please recommend grade&whether by going for semi synt would make any difference?

Yes go for 5W30 grade engine oil and semi synthetics are better. Also you can go for pure synthetics which will deliver you the best under every harsh conditions(like high speed and high temperature) but they will cost you double.

Semi-synthetics and pure synthetics are generally available in grades 5W40 or 10W40. Considering all weather conditions I will recommend 5W40...While 5W30 is also good..

I currently own i10 irde2 car..i have been getting the car serviced at HASS..the mechanic at HASS told that hyundai recommends 20W40 oil for i10 cars including kappa..

Coming to this point I would say some authorized service centers buy huge barrels of normal 20W40 engine oil and they recommend it to their customers which they may be selling it at high price too them and bagging profits on that..

Sometimes they recommend to add engine oil additives which costs really high. But I strictly dont recommend to use any external additives.

Read the Owner's Manual carefully, whether it specifies the 5W30 for India only or for other markets too or for same or kappa2 engine, as some companies print the same manual for many countries & for all variants.

Make sure about this before arriving onto some specific conclusion.

Read the Owner's Manual carefully, whether it specifies the 5W30 for India only or for other markets too or for same or kappa2 engine, as some companies print the same manual for many countries & for all variants.

Make sure about this before arriving onto some specific conclusion.

It hasn't being mentioned specifically for india...Also regarding engine noise is oil really the culprit??Can you suggest other mineral oil brands which are available in 20W40 grade??

Also regarding engine noise is oil really the culprit??Can you suggest other mineral oil brands which are available in 20W40 grade??

Might be or might not be.

As an Improperly service engine or Engine with Choked Air filter or Engine with Perforated exhaust pipe, they all sounds poor.

So, check all these issues, beginning from the last one as I quoted above.

20W40 is a most commonly used grade engine oil & almost every company offers engine oils of this grade ranging from Castrol, Shell, Motul, Servo, etc.

I've tried Castrol, Shell & Servo for my vehicles yet.

I think it specified in owners manual, most new engines today require a multiviscosity 5W-30 oil. Because It helps to increase your car fuel economy. I think Synthetics oil is another best option it will helps batter performance of your car.

The oil you use is dependent on the average ambient temperature. Check the owners manual. It will have a chart with various flavors of viscosity matched to ambient. 5-30 is used in colder climates.

Synthetics have been discussed in other posts.