insane79

Whats the octane number in regular petrol?

Hi guys,

I have been filling speed 97 in my laura tsi since the day i bought it, the petrol prices have gone down to 74/- in mumbai, the price for speed 97 has gone up instead to 91/- . This is ridiculous & i want to know whats the octane level in our regular fuel? the 1.8tsi runs best with 95 octane fuel. Heard about our regular fuel octane level boasted lately is it true? or is it still 91?

Thanks.

I think the octane level is 91 in India across Oil companies. Also in India, automobiles are manufactured on the basis of this level only. So, if you are using 97 octane than it hardly gives any difference to you on the vehicles manufactured in India.

Edited by Sstar

The BS4 petrol is 91 octane throughout the metro , I can understand the creamy TSi Laura petrol but fill normal fuel and add 3M petrol additive when doing tankfull . This is much better because the bottle of this additive costs around 500 buck and one can easily use it for 3 tank fills and the money save with normal petrol will be easily overcome the additive cost . Though it may one boost the octane rating atmost till 93 .

Use 91 octane in your Laura & see the difference/drop in performance. 97 octane is expensive but it makes the engine perform to its best potential (economy & performance). If i was in the market for a pre owned laura i would surely buy your Laura. Only reason being you've used 97 octane.

it's a standard measurement of fuel characteristic of "knocking".

from a scale from 0 to 100, 0 is represented by the standard n-heptane and 100 is for iso octane.

the less the rating the more the fuel "knocks" inside the internal combustion engine. The higher the grade the better for the engine and for fuel consumption and power..