Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

Renault Duster launched at Rs 7.19 lakh, what do you think about the pricing?

The top of the line Vento/Rapid/Linea are cheaper than the RXL 85 Option and I think this is what is going to put Renault in trouble. You cant have a Micra/Impulse without airbags but a highway cruiser like the Duster has it only as a option. I think it should have been the other way around. For the duster to succed they should have kept the prices closer to the Ertiga spec to spec.

I agree...XUV will have an edge over it.

Also, now Ford has chance to beat Duster atlest by pricing the Petrol variant of EcoSport below 7 Lakh. Lets see

Doubt that will happen though - First, the EcoBoost is a complex and expensive engine, they might have to price it on par with the diesel till production is up to full swing. Second, ford has already established a premium positioning with the Fiesta, and customers will now expect the same from the EcoSport (more so if they know it is based on the Fiesta). Finally, Ford is also known for its equipment, so I doubt even the base model will come fully stripped down.

The only trick up its sleeve is its sub-four-metre length, but I doubt even that will allow a sub-7-lakh EcoSport.

But let's see, I love being pleasantly surprised.

I don’t doubt about Ford's pricing strategy as everyone knows they do something "hatke" on the pricing front. Look at Figo, when they launched it...it was the cheapest yet spacious, efficient, good looking and still stood apart on the road kind of car.

Though Ford has given slight wrong pricing to New Fiesta but I see it as a strategy. As they may have done so deliberately to keep the 5 to 9 Lakh bracket open for EcoSport to come and might revolutionise the market.

Edited by Sstar

I went through the prices for the ertiga and it is very well priced. Renault should have priced the duster85 a max of 50k more than the ertiga spec to spec. The duster 110 is murder it too should not have been more than 50k than the similar 85 version, then and only then would duster be the king. As a lot of other forum members have pointed out the XUV will rule the market.

Source: cardekho.com

"Renault India has now come up with an exciting scheme under which, the Duster will now be available with 5+2 seat option as a dealer fitment. An extra set of seats will be accommodated in the boot."

I don't know how practical will the option of providing 2 extra seats be but might just spur up sales as people who were looking for 7 seat options might have a look at it now.

^^^

May be a special foamed mat, one should spread & sit on the floor.

The duster is too low in height to accomodate people to sit on bench over the spare wheel. If this can be possible, we would have had 7 seater Indigo Marina half decade ago.

If i am not mistaken 20% of the XUV booking are for the 4WD. I doubt if renault has done a proper market study for the pricing of the duster and about withholding the duster's 4WD version. I feel the diesel 110 top end should have been a 4WD and cost 12lakhs ex show room and every other variant lower should have be 50-60k cheaper. Any comments are welcome and please convey the message to renault too.

I have just test driven the Duster110RXL and too me the product is simply overpriced.

Exterior:

The first impression of the vehicle when I touched the door handle was, Oh GOD this is worse than the ALTO. Renault should have paid attention to the first thing that people come in contact with, when they have to get into the car: the door handles. The doors sound like a tin box, even the alto doors shut with a more re assuring thud compared to the duster’s and this is uttering not acceptable. Rest of the fit and finish on the cars exterior is acceptable, but the fuel filler cap is overly large.

Coming to the interior:

How come the 7-8LAC PulseRXZ gets a keyless go and the 13-14LAC DusterRXZ does,nt, I really could not understand this. The interior quality to me was acceptable except for some ergonomic glitches.

Driving Experience:

It was surprisingly better than expected, as I was excepting a lot of turbo lag after going through the specs but this was not the case. The driving position too seemed good and the ride quality was good too even on totally battered roads. The wipers are horrible as I found out when it rained they shudder a lot.

All in all a good car let down by a steep price for whatever quality Renault is providing. I will have to wait to drive the 84duster and I think I will have to wait for the Ford Ecosport before I pay the Renault guys my hard earned money.

COMMENTS ARE WELCOME

Renault Duster is sold in the following colours in India.

• Metallic Woodland Brown
  • Metallic Fiery Red
  • Pearl Supreme White
  • Metallic Moonlight Silver
  • Pearl Galaxy Black
  • Metallic Graphite Grey

It seems that Renault is looking to capture market with its new launches. Recently Renault has launched the Duster SUV which is a perfect example of a luxury SUV. Price may be one of the reason for me but I am satiesfied by the price but not the top end variant which is very costly as the Mahindra XUV 500 is already roaring on the Indian roads.

Thought after the Sunny/Scala and Micra/ Pulse a Nissan counterpart to the Duster will come sometime or the other but I dont expect it to come anytime soon. Tell your friend to take a test drive. I do agree the price is slightly higher but the Duster is pretty impressive especially the ride quality.

I'm not criticizing it, but to me Duster looks like a Hatchback on steroids, especially from the Rear.

It's bit overpriced too, thanks to the hype people created for it prior to its launch & Renault took the advantage of it &

Nissan Duster(=so called) can be easily positioned due to its exorbitant price.

I'm expecting a 85PS RxL variant to be provided with ABS as a standard feature.

Mahindra Scorpio has been caught napping. Fair, they've offered a lot more in the price bracket (4x4 being a major point), but somehow, the driving dynamics would have to be fixed. Build quality is also lacking, compared to the Duster. This should be a wake-up call for the Scorpio designers.

Ford Ecosport and Suzuki Alpha, on the other hand, may be tough contenders. In fact, they may offer more than the Duster, as they pack a lot more in their vehicles, while the Duster was built to cost, yet priced for profit. The Ecoboost variant, if priced properly, will be an easy pick over the Duster. The EcoSport may actually handle uneven terrain well, not so much as any 4X4, but better than the Duster- which should be a more practical reason to buy such a vehicle.

Fair, the Duster is a better built vehicle than the Scorpio, but I still don't approve of such a premium price on a rebadged built-to-cost car. I feel the Megane in a crossover form would be a better choice than the Duster, and would give you something similar to the BMW X1 at a much lower price.