PrancingHorse

Mahindra 2 Wheelers opens R&D Centre in Pune

mahindrard.jpg

Mahindra 2-Wheelers have inaugurated a two-wheeler specific research and development (R&D) center in Pune. The company claims this facility is the third largest of its kind in India, set-up with an investment of Rs 90-100 crore. A team of 175 engineers are employed, headed by two-wheeler industry veteran, PS Ashok. Mahindra 2-Wheelers showcased their air-cooled, single-cylinder and 110cc Stallio commuter bike engine, with a liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, 300cc engine to be used on the Mojo, along with a Duro DZ scooter that has incorporated micro hybrid technology; engine stops and restarts automatically when stationary for better efficiency.

Mahindra 2-Wheeler’s announced they are working towards re-launch of the withdrawn Stallio motorcycle by the upcoming festive season, while the Mojo motorcycle launch has now been further delayed to Jan-March 2013. Anand Mahindra, vice chairman and managing director, Mahindra Group while disclosing a Rs 20,000 crore revenue target from his two-wheeler business by 2020, shared that this new two-wheeler R&D facility becomes a part of Mahindra’s ‘neural network’ of R&D facilities, that will benefit the company to develop innovative new products. He mentioned Mahindra aims to develop an electric scooter using technology sharing with the M&M owned Reva electric car. M&M plans to invest a further Rs 500 crore across all R&D facilities in the coming five years.

I see this as a very postive move by Mahindra. They are already doing decently well in Motorsport. Do you think this move will see the advent of better quality 2 wheelers from M&M in the Indian market which would also be good value for money?

Mahindra needed it!

I own a mahindra Rodeo & has starter problem & I visted the showroom around 20 times in 20 months. Even Componie's senior engineers came, but they were unable to solve the problem!

now, I hope that my problem will be solved now!