Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Merc B class to be launched on 19 july in india

Mercedes would be seen launching the new B-Class in ’7 days’ from now. The info comes straight from the car maker's website which reads ’7 Days to Explore B-Side of Life.’

The B Class to be launched in India will come with both petrol and diesel engine options and the motors will be mated to a 7G-DCT gearbox. The cars will come loaded with features like a Speed Limit Assist, Active Parking Assist, Brake Hold and Hill Hold Function, Distronic Plus, Blind Spot Detection System and Adaptive Headlamp Assist. It is being said that the first batch of B Class cars will come kitted with bits from AMG and will come to us via CBU route.

However, expect Mercedes to price the car very aggressively to open up the gates to a new segment in Indian car market. We expect the new car to compete with the Audi Q3 crossover in terms of pricing. Recently, the good folks at Goaonwheels managed to dig out that the first batch of B Class cars have reached Indian dealerships and this again reassures us that Merceces is well on its schedule to introduce the new car to us on 19th

(source:motoroids)

I heard that the entire lot of R-Classes were sold out in india. So if mercedes manages to price it below 20 lakh , I think we have a winner here. Especially since the market is shifting towards SUV's and MUV's

+1 to what 325i has said. The R Class never took off at all. Its been well over a year that its launched but till date I have seen only one car on the road. I got a very funny answer to my question at the launch about the lack of a diesel. They said " Indian diesel doesnt suit our engines" But then arent we having the 350 CDi in the E, S, GL etc..?

Apart from spot on pricing, what Mercedes needs is some fantastic service packages which are completely lacking. BMW is king here.

It seems like Mercedes is late in introducing products accessible to larger customer base.

Audi successfully paved way among the consumers with A4 and Q3.

BMW also hit the spot with introduction of X1 , X3 and 3 Series.

Mercedes has only C Class to attract some of the customers.

In one of the interview on TV Audi official mentioned that they are making their brand more accessible to aspiring customers. BMW is also following the same strategy.

It seems like Mercedes still want to remain aloof.

The B class will surely be a hit provided it is well priced. We Indians love hatchback/MPV designs and if the car is priced from a base price of 18 lakh rupees for diesel and 16 lakhs for petrol, then it will surely sell like hot cakes. Mercedes may be slow in the competition with BMW and Audi, but Mercedes is not silly for delaying their launch of B class.

Come on they are in the automobile industry for about a century, they cannot do a wrong step. They are just watching how the market reacts with the Audi Q3 and BMW X1 so that they can plan a strategy to regain lost glory from BMW. Lets hope for the price.

The B Class price in India is expected to start at Rs 25 lakh. As per the information available, the new Mercedes car will be available in the AMG kit and only few cars will be imported initially. On the other hand, in order to make the car cheaper it will soon be produced at the Chakan facility.

I heard that the entire lot of R-Classes were sold out in india. So if mercedes manages to price it below 20 lakh , I think we have a winner here. Especially since the market is shifting towards SUV's and MUV's

Entire lot of R-Classes allotted for India wont be more than 40-50 cars. Out of which, company official/press cars would be about 4-5. I am sure the 5GT sold more than the R-Class.

There is no way the B Class is going to come at 20 lakhs. I expect an ex-showroom price of 25 lakhs atleast, the initial lot being CBUs that goes into 30 lakh on road. This seems more like a second or third car in a family which already has say an S Class or a 7 Series.

@AMG1: Yes I agree the number of 5GTs is definitely more than the R Class. Have seen many of those around but thats not the casr with the R350. Its clearly a flop.

Merc is trying to take of the X1 and Q3 with the new B class which are compact SUV's (or bigger hatchbacks) . The MPV like profile may not look good but the space may be better than even the C class . Also CBU with AMG kit means a disaster for the pricing which we can expect before they start assembling it here . It ought to be priced below the C class and on-road price of 26 lakhs is the sweet spot for middle varient.

The R class is utter flop and when-ever I see one on the road I think what was the owner even thinking about .

Few pointers from me on B-Class,

1. It launches as CBU for now only as B180 (Petrol) Price is 22-25 Lac EX-showroom.

2. Price will be the same now or later as CKD, believe it or not until CKD starts MB India is absorbing the additional price. But you will save on RTO as in some states RTO for CBU is double.

3. From Jan or early depending on when new lines are ready B180 / B180 CDI in Sport trim will launch, Sport trim does make this ugly metal block look a lot better but I still would not buy it. The fun Begins in June 2013, A180/180 CDI Sport!

4. Mercedes is not expecting volumes from this, they simply are trying to now expand their entire portfolio in India and as and when global launches happen, they will mostly be here too.

5. As much as I hate the B, Do drive and see it, it has quality materials, looks premium, and has good space.

Regards,

Just saw some pictures of the B Class from the BIC. It is the ugliest thing I have seen in a long time. What was Mercedes thinking? And according to reports they are going to launch the petrol first and then the diesel next year. And if the CBU pricing comes to around 25 lakhs ex showroom, its easy 30+ on road. I dont see this car working.

I think Mercedes is making a huge mistake with the B-class.

Just because it's relatively inexpensive, doesn't mean everyone will flock to it. The Q3 and X1, despite not being very good off-roaders, carry the all-important SUV appearance (even though the X1 is shaped like a wagon). Yes, our market has matured, but not that much. A hatchback, irrespective of how flexible or spacious, is still viewed as a 'small car' (sad but true). It doesn't help that it isn't particularly good looking.

However, there may be enough people willing to put aside their usual prejudices just so they can have a Merc badge in their parking spot for under 25 lakh (this is also sad but true). I doubt many will appreciate this car for the fine piece of quality engineering it is.

Then again. It's the same price range as a Mini or Beetle - and those cars are less practical.

Time will tell.