While I am contemplating to buy a XUV 500, my budget is 15 lacs. Considering the on & off road capabilities, I am also inclined to buy a second hand Mitsubishi Pajero. Which one would make more sense to buy keeping in mind, drivability, On road & Off road presence & performance & ease of maintenance.

Please share your thoughts..........

I like both but I generally prefer for mahindra XUV because it will prove better in any case, it has some interesting features and exterior looks of the car is impressive. It tubeless tyre facility, better fuel efficiency, direct injection diesel, Ventilated Discs.

We own an XUV500 W8 2WD for about a month and so far has done 1000 odd kms. It has so far been a charm to drive and since our car is a May 2012 make, most of the glitches have been sorted and nothing serious has cropped up since.

Positives over Pajero:

- Modern car with latest Monocoque Chassis

- Loaded with all the safety features

- Cheap to run and Pajero(SFX) is based on a 1990's platform and might be phased out soon.

- Impressive engine

- Great handling

- Looks are eye catching

- Comfort and Mileage (11.5 kmpl overall and still increasing)

Negatives:

- Some small electronic glitches occur rarely

- Average ride quality

- Some knocking sound from the rear tailgate

- Brakes are not upto scratch under light braking and require a shove from us

- ABS grinding noise

Buy the XUV, but since you need offroading capabilities the AWD is in huge demand and may take ages to reach your hands. The Pajero SFX is meant to be bought only if want offroading and better ride else not recommended. However If you have a budget of 25 lakhs buy the new Pajero Sports. Its a better SUV than XUV500. If your budget is 15 lakhs buy the XUV500 AWD and push for an early delivery. Choose your dealer wisely. Book the AWD through the dealer who has delivered the most AWDs.

Both options are good!

Pajaro is always more capable offroader than XUV! It has more upmarket apeal!

While XUV looks stunning (but still I love pajaro's dashing looks!) & has more gadgetry!

But you can't get that new car smell from used pajaro & it's maintainace'll also drill your pocket!

Pajero is meant only for Off-roading, Off-roading & Off-roading.

Its road manners aren't that much great & it isn't that much powerful & fast as other modern options you're having in your budget range.

Since, its an CBU(complete Import) car, so its maintenance & spare parts costs-availability will be a pain in further long-term usage.

Either go for XUV500 AWD for occasional off-road stints.

Another 4x4 options in such price range are;

-Used Toyota Fortuner(only if you get it in 15-lacs budget),

-Used Ford Endeavour TDCi(you can easily get the same in 15 lacs).

-Brand New TATA ARIA 4x4, but it won't perform serious off-roading as other cars listed above.

hi,

As you are looking for a car that can handle off as well as on-roads equally, then XUV500 will do the job just fine. Only if you are planning serious off-roading, consider Pajero.

You can also consider new Ford Endeavour. It will cost a little above your mentioned budget, but you will get a car that can handle both scenarios quite efficiently.