reddy

Luxury cars manufacturers still think chauffeurs are owners in India

I had been reading Autocar magazine without a miss , How ever I request them to bring this point to notice of Luxury car manufacturers in India .

Till now these big Car Mfgrs only noticed two things what Indians needed

Loud horns (ford )

Love to chrome ( Audi )

How ever they still think Chauffers are the owners And provide Maximum comfort in front seats

Request to Auto car is

To high light 80% of these cars will be driven by Chauffers

The comforts like extension of under thigh support to rear seat is important

Ventilated seats

More rear legroom

Full sized spare wheel

Hope they listen to auto car at least

If you are chauffeur driven, what are you doing on an auto forum.

And write this email as a letter to the editor, and not on the forum.

And the luxury cars are made in europe. Everyone drives their own cars there. Even if you own an A8.

Note from Mod: Usage of foul language is strictly prohibited on the forum.

@reddy: yeah you are right as the chauffeur Mantra is very much loud in India. If you have a big, expensive car - get a chauffeur and relax at back seat.

Thanks Mods, I was about to point out that.

I had been reading Autocar magazine without a miss , How ever I request them to bring this point to notice of Luxury car manufacturers in India .

Till now these big Car Mfgrs only noticed two things what Indians needed

Loud horns (ford )

Love to chrome ( Audi )

How ever they still think Chauffers are the owners And provide Maximum comfort in front seats

Request to Auto car is

To high light 80% of these cars will be driven by Chauffers

The comforts like extension of under thigh support to rear seat is important

Ventilated seats

More rear legroom

Full sized spare wheel

Hope they listen to auto car at least

Yeah, you are right on that point. Foreign auto makers still put much of the attention on the driver (which is not a bad thing if you love driving). However in some countries they do listen to the passenger. For example, in China, most affluent types have chauffeur driven cars (like in India) and they put a greater emphasis on rear leg room and comfort than anything else. So Audi and some others sell a few of their premium models with extra rear leg room (not just the A8 L). These models are designed specifically for the Chinese market and are available nowhere else...

The fact is while designing a luxury car like Audi, BMW, Merc (which are luxurious by indian standard) they consider westen & devloped countries only & Jermy Celckson (topgear UK host) had taken a survey on a busy british moterway for 1hr & he found that arround 1000 cars passed by & only 3 of them were having passangers in rear-seat & this companies have their major sell in devloped countries! so, they build & design cars by their requirements!

According to me, If you are going to be chauffeur diven & has a budget of an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series, then go for Nissan Teana! The Most Luxurious rear-seat I've experienced ever!

Yeah, you are right on that point. Foreign auto makers still put much of the attention on the driver (which is not a bad thing if you love driving). However in some countries they do listen to the passenger. For example, in China, most affluent types have chauffeur driven cars (like in India) and they put a greater emphasis on rear leg room and comfort than anything else. So Audi and some others sell a few of their premium models with extra rear leg room (not just the A8 L). These models are designed specifically for the Chinese market and are available nowhere else...

You are right! In China you'll get extended wheelbase versions of all the vehicles!

@reddy: yeah you are right as the chauffeur Mantra is very much loud in India. If you have a big, expensive car - get a chauffeur and relax at back seat.

Thanks Mods, I was about to point out that.

The problem I would like to highlight is you can t be relaxed at back seat like our Chinese counterparts get luxurious rear seats with all the facilities I mentioned

If you are chauffeur driven, what are you doing on an auto forum.

And write this email as a letter to the editor, and not on the forum.

And the luxury cars are made in europe. Everyone drives their own cars there. Even if you own an A8.

Note from Mod: Usage of foul language is strictly prohibited on the forum.

Boss I know many of these cars are CBU ,and Europeans cannot afford a chauffer like we do , we need our bit of comfort like privlaged Chinese ,And I am referring the top end luxury car makers survey on releasing the Indian specific mods and their observations .

Ex BMW releasing cars with Run flats knowing well the 60% of our roads are yet to be made international standards .creating inconvinience and costing to our pockets .

@reddy has made a valid point. Why can't these manufacturers import these long wheel base versions into India too.

Of late however I am seeing something different happening in India too. A friend of mine owns a BMW 5 series and an Innova. Whenever he takes the BMW (mostly to his office) he drives it himself. The driver gets to drive only the Innova (mostly used by his family members)

@Ramesh.. I'd have done the same :) Who'd like to spend 50+ lacs and give the keys to the driver??

I've seen a few drivers in my office building keeping the car running - AC on and enjoying a good afternoon nap.

And you should see how these guys drive when they've dropped off their owners... I've seen a Merc E Class stopping at ST Bus Stops offering rides to anyone until a certain distance.. Want to go to Mumbai from Pune? Travel in a Merc - All for 300-400 Rs for a trip!! They just use it as their own cars..

That's a part of Marketing mix.

Not only Luxury cars, lack the Rear seat comfort but many(more than 50%) cars Personally driven cars lack the Driver centric feel, be it a Hyundai i20 or New Elantra or New Sonata or Lexus or any other car on this planet.

The number of the products from a car manufacturer is blend of everything most of the times, be it a Sporty design, Regular design or a bland design. It's targetted for someone & every manufacturer wants to serve the widest of the strata of customers.

Take the case of Audi(as most of the ACI-ians used above), they tried to cover all the customer base ranging from Sports(Audi TT) to Corporate(Audi A6, A8) to Personal Driven luxury(Audi A7) to Mild to Hardcore off-roaders(Audi Q3-Q7).

Similarly, Land Rover also tried to differentiate their product range as per usage & gender differences, ranging from LR Freelander 2 to LR Evoque.

Thus these options has to be Identified & shortlisted as per priorities, but still target market has to be carefully served with what it wants & deserves.