Hi Guys,

I am in a fix regarding a Petrol or a Diesel Car. Please help me in choosing the right kind of engine. With rising fuel prices, I'm a bit concerned.

I am rooting for a Hyundai i20 - Sportz Variant. I travel for 30kms/day. I clock not more than 800-900 kms in a month The BIG Question is should I go for a Petrol or a Diesel???

i20 Sportz On Road Price in Hyderabad.

• Petrol - 6,75,000
  • Diesel - 8,25,000

There's a huge difference of 1.5L between the Petrol & Diesel Variant.

I even heard that the maintainence, Spares of a i20 CRDI are Higher than i20 VTVT. What do you suggest?

Cheers, :)

$@!

With just around 800 to 900 kms a month, the running doesnt justify a diesel. You would be happy with the i20 Petrol anyday. I would recommend a diesel only if you did atleast 2000 kms a month if not more. Im assuming your running is within the city itself. The petrol is what you should go for. 1.5 lakh difference is not a small amount

Happy buying and hope this helps

You'ld go with petrol & If you are going with petrol, then why to settle for I20?

You can get a proper & comfy sedan like Ford Fiesta Classic or Nissan Sunny; wich comes with better engine, Driving dynamics & Comfort & Presence!

With your kind of driving you will need to run the diesel version for more than 5 years before you recover the extra you paid for it and the car starts paying you back. Contrary to popular belief diesel versions are not exactly cheaper if you don't drive much.

So... go for the petrol. The i20 sportz is a good choice

You'ld go with petrol & If you are going with petrol, then why to settle for I20?

You can get a proper & comfy sedan like Ford Fiesta Classic or Nissan Sunny; wich comes with better engine, Driving dynamics & Comfort & Presence!

Hi CarCrazyASTL,

Its Safety First for me. With an i20 I am getting ABS, EBD, Parktronic, Reverse Parking Cam, Electronic OVRM's & a list of endless features which even cars greater than 10 lakhs doesn't offer.

IMHO for 6.75L on-road price, I cannot get the SUNNY & FIESTA CLASSIC with ABS & EBD. i need to push for 10L if I need ABS & EBD

Cheers,

$@!

I should say go with Petrol, buy a top end with luxury and safety and save some money.

Hi Sstar,

I agree, i20 VTVT Sportz on the cards. ABS+EBD+Driver AIRBAG. Safety First! :)

Cheers,

$@!

Guys one Quick Question:

Actually one of my friend is Interested in a DIESEL Car buy the BIG Q? is

How many kms do we need to Clock in order to Buy a Diesel car?

Prancing Horse Suggested 2000kms, But I read in one of the posts by another Member as 1200 kms/month is Diesel Territory.

Which is the Diesel Territory? Can someone throw some light on this :unsure:

Thanks,

$@!

Go for the petrol i20 sportz or asta. Both are good. In sportz you wont get passenger airbag, chrome door handles, digital speedometer, rear spoiler, rear washer and wiper and some little more. Make your choice

Hi CarCrazyASTL,

Its Safety First for me. With an i20 I am getting ABS, EBD, Parktronic, Reverse Parking Cam, Electronic OVRM's & a list of endless features which even cars greater than 10 lakhs doesn't offer.

IMHO for 6.75L on-road price, I cannot get the SUNNY & FIESTA CLASSIC with ABS & EBD. i need to push for 10L if I need ABS & EBD

Cheers,

$@!

Ford Fiesta 1.6 classic Titenium - 7,08,436 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

Nissan Sunny XE - 6,03,858 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

Nissan Sunny XL - 7,17,677 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

Nissan Sunny XV - 8,00,452 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

All of the above mentioned vehicles do come with ABS+EBD & Dual airbags! & This figures are based on Carazoo.com & you do get 25-50k Cash Discount from dealers! ( I got whole 50k off on my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI from dealer & accesaries worth 10k & Insurence for free in March 2010)

Plus this all are sedans & belive me, there boot is a big boon in rear end collision!

Ford Fiesta 1.6 classic Titenium - 7,08,436 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

Nissan Sunny XE - 6,03,858 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

Nissan Sunny XL - 7,17,677 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

Nissan Sunny XV - 8,00,452 Rs. (Ex-Showroom Hydrabad)

All of the above mentioned vehicles do come with ABS+EBD & Dual airbags! & This figures are based on Carazoo.com & you do get 25-50k Cash Discount from dealers! ( I got whole 50k off on my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI from dealer & accesaries worth 10k & Insurence for free in March 2010)

Plus this all are sedans & belive me, there boot is a big boon in rear end collision!

Hi CarCrazyASTL,

Thanks Buddy, Rep to u.

Aaaah.... The prices which you have mentioned are Ex-Showroom prices & the On-road price would cross the 8.5L mark easily.

Plus i20 is LOADED with features. LOADED .Period. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

$@!

Hi CarCrazyASTL,

Thanks Buddy, Rep to u.

Aaaah.... The prices which you have mentioned are Ex-Showroom prices & the On-road price would cross the 8.5L mark easily.

Plus i20 is LOADED with features. LOADED .Period. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

$@!

You have to pay <50k for RTO tax & <20k for octroi (which you can avoid, by giving your addres of a small village or suburb near-by) & <20k for insurence & as Ford Dealers gives you free insurence & huge discount ford fiesta classic titenium will coast you arround 7.75-80 lakhs & It'as almost everything which I20 Spotrz have & Similarly Sunny XE, XL will also below 8 lakhs!

Let me tell you my experience, when I bought my 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI, It's ex-showroom price on carazoo was 7.75 lakhs & after bargains & I got it for 7.75 lakhs on-road! (7.24 lakhs as ex-showroom price+50 thousand R.T.O. Tax + 1,000 Bribe at RTO office) I too got accesaries worth 10k for free (due to Ford's Dr. Special scheme) including 7k worth cleaning, polishing & teflon coating package for 5 times & (Car cover+Rubber Mats) worth 3k!

So, though you are sure about your choise, do visit this 2 dealerships, get the quotes, do the bargain & If you found them good, then consider them!

You have to pay <50k for RTO tax & <20k for octroi (which you can avoid, by giving your addres of a small village or suburb near-by) & <20k for insurence & as Ford Dealers gives you free insurence & huge discount ford fiesta classic titenium will coast you arround 7.75-80 lakhs & It'as almost everything which I20 Spotrz have & Similarly Sunny XE, XL will also below 8 lakhs!

Let me tell you my experience, when I bought my 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI, It's ex-showroom price on carazoo was 7.75 lakhs & after bargains & I got it for 7.75 lakhs on-road! (7.24 lakhs as ex-showroom price+50 thousand R.T.O. Tax + 1,000 Bribe at RTO office) I too got accesaries worth 10k for free (due to Ford's Dr. Special scheme) including 7k worth cleaning, polishing & teflon coating package for 5 times & (Car cover+Rubber Mats) worth 3k!

So, though you are sure about your choise, do visit this 2 dealerships, get the quotes, do the bargain & If you found them good, then consider them!

Hi CarCrazyASTL,

Thanks Buddy for your Advice.

Road Tax is 14.5% in A.P. & Insurance would be around 20K. which crosses 8.5 mark plus I can get a i20 Diesel Hatch if I am stretching over 8L.

I am going with i20 VTVT as it fits the bill perfectly.

Cheers,

$@!

Hi Guys,

I would prefer to go for diesel cars as it will always give you more resale value in India. If you spend xtra 1.5 lac in diesel u would be sure to get that return when you want to resale it. Recently i am searching for a 2nd hand diesel car and i found that diesel cars are selling like hot cakes! You do not need to wait to sale a diesel car; buyers will contact you for it!!! This is really surprising but its true. I own a 2000 make Fiat Uno Diesel car and still people are asking me to sell it (considering in mind that original spare parts are not available and u will not get any support from Fiat). This is not the matter how old car u have its matter which fuel its uses!!! Also diesel cars give u better mileage than petrol car.

Now days i don't think diesel cars needs to visit service station very often. Its totally depends how better you handle the car and care it. In the near future ( 5 years down the line) petrol price may reach to 100 and diesel price may touch to 60. You will always save more money in diesel.

CNG is a great option but in India its not available everywhere; its not only pocket friendly it will give a better environment to breathe but unfortunately till now govt did not not take a serious note on this.

Best of luck!!!!

Hi Keyrun! The i20 would offer you a very high Value For Money as it comes loaded with features hard to find in cars from a segment above. The car is also very well built and is definitely a looker in its segment. With a running of ~900kms/ month, I think its pointless going in for a Diesel as you would find it hard to recover the added cost of the car. Please read through my thread on Petrol vs. Diesel in a different section which discusses the costs in detail.

Had I been in your shoes, I would have test driven the Honda Jazz as well and then taken the final decision. i20 or Jazz, you would not go wrong with either of the two.

Happy Buying! :)