PrancingHorse

Mahindra's mini MUV christened as the Quanto

post-7692-0-05154100-1345618882.jpg

The much talked about upcoming mini MUV from Mahindra, what everyone called the mini Xylo has finally got a name. It will be called the Quanto, keeping tradition with 'O' ending names for other models from the Mahindra stable. It is based on the Xylo platform and will be under 4 meters in length, spare tyre excluded. This will help it get excise benefits. Mahindra is planning to introduce the Quanto as the 7 seater but from the pictures, it does feel that the 7 seats might be a tight fit. But if it can take that many passengers, it makes a strong case for the car. With 7 seats in place, luggage space will surely be negated and a roof carrier will be a must.

The Quanto would probably be coming with a 1.5 litre 3 cylinder diesel engine with power of around 100 bhp and mated to an all new 5 speed manual tranny. With the excise benefits, we can expect Mahindra to come up with killer pricing indeed. Prices starting from say 5 to 5.5 lakh could make it a super value for money proposition. Althought it does not have direct competition, cars like the Eritiga would been that Mahindra does have task upon itself to make the Quanto succeed.

Do you think the Quanto will work? First impressions look promising and this could do well in the taxi market as well. It is expected to launch around the festive season.

post-7692-0-38447300-1345618885.jpg

post-7692-0-01933500-1345618891.jpg

post-7692-0-10830100-1345618879.jpg

Still looks to weird and I doubt it would have the refinement to match an Ertiga. M&M pay price it well but won't have the quality. That's where Indian companies fail

I think it's almost a given that M&M will undercut Ertiga with it's pricing.

What remains to be seen is the product quality and finesse.

I won't be using "VFM" tag as yet. A product with just low price can't be termed as VFM.

VFM is skin deep.

A 7-seater ? This ? Must be the joke of the decade.

As a 4-seater or a 5-seater, it appears OK.

I do not see this being a competitive product to Ertiga.

It is in a different league altogether.

May be a competitor to Rio.

By the way, who would be the target group for this product ?

Already Bolero handles the semi-commercial and rural

segment, Scorpio and XUV500 handles the top end segment

with the entry level big MUV segment (and now the taxi segment)

catered by Xylo. I was truly wondering where does this fit in ?

A 7-seater ? This ? Must be the joke of the decade.

As a 4-seater or a 5-seater, it appears OK.

I do not see this being a competitive product to Ertiga.

It is in a different league altogether.

May be a competitor to Rio.

By the way, who would be the target group for this product ?

Already Bolero handles the semi-commercial and rural

segment, Scorpio and XUV500 handles the top end segment

with the entry level big MUV segment (and now the taxi segment)

catered by Xylo. I was truly wondering where does this fit in ?

Some interesting points there rameshbabu

I dont if Im correct but with the kind of pricing that is being discussed, maybe Mahindra is targeting those who want an alternative to hatchback. I too see the Rio as a direct rival but then the Rio itself hasnt taken off that well. Maybe the MJD engine might change things.

The positioning of the Quanto will be interesting for sure.

this sure is ugly , the only thing going for the xylo was its length. i woudnt consider it a RIO rival , i would say it now looks as bad and as badly dimensioned as a RIO ,it more like a RIO sibiling.

Have you seen Mahindra Genio , it looks better than this.

Perhaps to some extent I also do not like this cutting back design. But I must say, this Quanto has market potentials keeping in mind the recent interest of Indian car buyers towards musculine, FE, affordable cars.

As far as competition with Ertiga is in view, I do not think it is going to be a competitor however, it is going to be a segment creator itself since at 5 to 5.5 lacs, you do not have a trusted brand with country spread service network and that is too musculine, FE, affordable cars (as i said above).

So all in all it is going to be have good market presence.

The front facia with the resemplence of Xylo is a big let down for me. When you are focussing on whole new segment than Xylo, why putting a car with same face? It would have been better they have put the face of XUV and coding the car with 200 or 300. Even a new face will also create a nich in to the minds of people that this is a new vehicle and not just a shortened Xylo. Hope they keep all other things better inside out. All the best M&M.

Just one small little query. Why will M&M will stick the spare on the back door, it looks so out of place. It seems like they didn't know where to park it, hence the rear door.

Just Spoted it yesterday on NH3 Near Nashik!

There was 10-12 cars making constant laps btn Nashik & Pimpalgaon! This cars passed me for 5-6 times during journey of 80 Kms & I spoted them in morning @ 0930-1030 hrs & in evening @ 1700-1800 hrs! I went nashik for some personal work & for replacing Rear-Twist bone of my Ford Fiesta & Ford's workshop is also on NH-3; I spoted them revolving there too! & In a Jam, I was bumper-to-bumper with one & the biggest thing I spoted from It's firing was that It was a small petrol engine! So, they may launch it with 1.4 ltr. petrol engine, same as that of verito!

I was unfortunate to take pics of it; as it was heavily raining there + my cellphone camera isn't that good + I'd to concentrate on driving!

Just one small little query. Why will M&M will stick the spare on the back door, it looks so out of place. It seems like they didn't know where to park it, hence the rear door.

May be to give SUV kind of looks which is in demand these days

Still its design cries alot to gel with what Indian families want in their aspirational car.

But it might go well with the Business man or people having their usage in Sub-urbs or Rural areas.

I still name this car as forced design rather than spontaneous one.

Just one small little query. Why will M&M will stick the spare on the back door ....

Simple. There is no space inside as the length has to be brought under 4 meters

so as to qualify for excise benefits. And, for reckoning the length of 4 meters, the

protruding spare wheel will not be taken into account. That's it.

This vehicle will sell, not because of the looks(it looks as awkwardly proportioned as the original Xylo), but purely for the price. With Mahindra's target at the 6L price bracket if reports are to be believed, then the Rio's minuscule market share might disappear overnight.

The Xylo is designed and developed meticulously. It's smooth and suave details get combined with its macho lines and shapes which give it a exclusive look. This vehicle is designed to complete the gap between design of SUV and the comfort of a MPV.