pryas

Rhino MUV @ 6 Lacs

I read in the newspaper than Rhino has launched a MUV in India and it costs from 6 lacs rs , anybody have any good info , specs and features and pricing of this MUV ????

Regards,

priya

Pryas,

The Rhino uses the Cummins turbo engine which is from the older generation Land Rover, not exactly a reliable package in any sense, as for looks, its like you mate Scorpio with Qualis and out comes Rhino. Its made by Sonalika Tractors whose products are not known for their quality. Initial fit and finish is OK but even after 3 years of local launch here in its native Punjab, it has few takers, Scorpio and Innova does quite well in this segment.

Yes the older Rhino which looked like a Qualis clone ( a poor man's Qualis) was exhibited in the Auto Expo 2007 last January. Its fit and finish and panel gaps are below the mark. Its USP is the cheap price tag.There are'nt many dealers too. They are mostly sold north of Delhi. Even in Delhi its difficult to spot one.

Don't make the mistake of buying a 'rare' car. We made that mistake once and paid dearly, with the Sipani D-1; whatever be the price tag. In India it pays to stick with the crowd when making car buying decisions. ....And look whose talking...I have an Elantra oops...never mind me...but take my advice any how.

NEW DELHI: The already over-crowded passenger vehicle market in India witnessed the entry of a new price warrior on Wednesday. Sonalika group --a leading players in the Indian tractor market --drove into the high-growth multi-utility vehicle (MUV) segment with a home-grown product Rhino, sporting an entry-level price of Rs 5.45 lakh.

The Rhino, powered by a 2-litre Isuzu engine sourced from Hindustan Motors, will be available for commercial sales from January-end, Sonalika group chairman LD Mittal said. "We will start sales in Punjab and Himachal Pradesh and move into the Delhi market by april 2006," he said.

"We will be sourcing the Isuzu engines from HM for Rhino. In addition, we are also developing our own common rail direct injection (CRDi) engines, which will be introduced in the Rhino by year-end," Mittal said.
...The vehicle is being produced by Sonalika group's utility vehicle making arm International Cars and Motors (ICM). The Rhino will be available in three versions with the top-end variants being priced at Rs 6.85 lakh.

The company, which has set up a Rs 200 crore plant in Himachal Pradesh for manufacturing the Rhino in technological collaboration with the UK's MG Rover, said it hoped to sell 5,000-6,000 units in the first year.

Mittal also announced that Citi group has bought 20% stake in ICM and another 10% in its tractor-making arm International Tractors, but refused to divulge details about the transactions.
Apart from this, another investment group from the UK will pick up an additional 10% stake in both the companies," he added. The Rhino-Rover will be the first made-in-India SUV to be priced in the Rs 5-6 lakh range.

In comparison, the Mahindra Scorpio and Tata Safari both sport an entry-level tag of around Rs 7-7.5 lakh. While Scorpio's top-end versions cost around Rs 8.5 lakh, the Safari's tag runs up to Rs 12 lakh.

"We have always been known as the price warriors in the market. With this aggressive price tag, we are trying to replicate our success in the tractor market," Mittal said.

it looks like an ugly duckling, especially from the rear! initially, even the qualis was never considered to be a looker, but it had the tag of "toyota reliability"... i wonder what will help the rhino?

are sonalika tractors reliable?? smiley36.gif

SUVs are not for looks and no SUV sold in India qualifies for looks. The Rhino is no Qualis, engine reliability will be at par with Scorpio and Safari from the Cummins package.

there he starts again...

did i say SUVs are JUST for looks? but looks are an important aspect for them. i mean why are all crazy for the hummer? its engine is not the most reliable or refined, it has a bumpy ride... they love its looks. now this was an example.

what??? hummer is ugly?

ok, maybe for for you, not for me.

and even if its about image, what sort of image does the rhino have?

its better we stick to the topic, because i dont want to close this thread too!

Have you seen the H1, where do you see beauty in it?, but then you see beauty in the Scorpio as well which the Aus mag rated as rank ugly. By the way, leave the job of closing the thread to FRG who is the mod here. Every time something disagrees with you, you threaten to close down the thread. Does this mean you are the mod here now? First you deviate from the original topic by commenting on the looks of Rhino and making reference to Qualis's looks, as soon as you get the answer you start chiming about off topic. Please let the mod be the judge here.Gurkha2008-01-09 06:10:41

see, looks are subjective, as i always say. i love the h1 and the scorpio's looks and hate the qualis' looks. i dont care what the australians have to say. and that is my choice. for me, the scorpio looks better than the qualis and rhino.

Its an MUV...........its not about the cost, its about the classification of the vehicle, the category, if you bring in the price factor, the Rhino's forte' is its low price tag but its priced bit higher than Sumo and Tavera and the company is marketing it as an Scorpio, Innova and Safari alternative.Gurkha2008-01-09 06:23:41

The Rhino used Isuzu and now uses Cummins, so in terms of reliability, its an even match at least for the powertrain to the Scorpio and Safari but not to the Innova. However if given a choice between Rhino or the Scorpio and Safar, I would take the Scorpio and Safari over Rhino.

yes raj, its not about the price here

i dont know about the safari but mahindra engines are very reliable

thought not their cars, it may have 100 squeaks and rattles, 1000 niggling problems, but their engines keep going on and on

none can be compared to the innova for reliabilty