Death_Race

Please help me to decide which car to buy

Hello All,

I got an used diesel Fiat Linea Emotion PK 2009 Feb model at the price of 4.5lac in kolkata. The Car is in good condition (not evaluated the mechanical part yet) and dealer said that they will complete all the necessary service prior to handover the car.the Car ran about 30K KMs.

Now i have heard that Jan and Feb (2009) manufactured Linea cars had some mechanical defects! Is this true? Will this a good decision to buy this Feb 2009 model Linea? Please advice as i am very confused and also dont want to waste my hard earned money.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Death Race

First of all welcome to the forum. Now coming to your query, so far i havent heard of any manufacturing defects in the Linea. If the car is in good condition there is no harm in picking it up but you could try negotiating a bit on the price. Also keep in mind that Fiat doesnt offer the best service. There have been complaints of non availability of spares etc. So do keep all this in mind before you decide to by the car. Have you thought of other options maybe a used Fiesta or Verna diesel?

If you are looking at the used car market, there can be much better options than the Linea. Although the car is good enough in its own right, the overall ownership experience should also be looked into before making a purchase. And this is where Linea does not score well.

I think you should go in for a little more dependable product if you have set your mind on the used car market. Do not make a decision in a hurry to avoid buyer's remorse later.

You should be able to get a good condition Honda City or SX4 within your budget. If you extend your budget by another 1.5 lacs, you might even get deals on a used Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic. Remember, the resale price of petrol sedans has dropped significantly in India. All of these are really dependable products but do ensure that you run a thorough inspection of the car before you buy it.

My final advice to you would be not to hurry and scout the market a little more. I am sure you would have plenty of options which would also act as bargaining catalyst to seal the deal.

Happy Buying! :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. Actually i am looking for only diesel car and i also got Optra Magnum diesel 2008 July LT model. The car ran about 33K and its also in good condition and it has been offered as Certified car through Mahindra First Choice but the problem is that dealer is asking very high price.Although negotiation can be done but its bit old around 4+yrs. Will it be a good choice? Please suggest.

Thanks to all.

Hi Death_Race,

CHEVY OPTRA MAGNUM - Cracker of an Engine. Go For it!!!

As you said,

Actually i am looking for only diesel car and i also got Optra Magnum diesel 2008 July LT model. The car ran about 33K and its also in good condition and it has been offered as Certified car through Mahindra First Choice but the problem is that dealer is asking very high price.Although negotiation can be done but its bit old around 4+yrs. Will it be a good choice?

The Car clocked 33,000 kms in 4 yrs. Lets Decode this.,

So, The car Clocked around 8250 kms/year (33,000/4 = 8250)

& The Car might have done around 700 kms/month (approx) (8250/12 = 687.5) which is very very less for a Diesel Car though.

Perhaps, This means that the car was used very less...

I always wondered how many kms you need to clock per month if you want to go for a Diesel car??? Diesel Territory is 1000 kms+ But the Guy who owned this CHEVY OPTRA MAGNUM clocked way less than that. Good for you!

As you said that "it has been offered as Certified car through Mahindra First Choice" So the Odometer reading might not been Tampered & Mahindra would have checked it thoroughly & Its an Accident free car. As it is a certified car so no Hassles. Peace of Mind Guaranteed. Even though you pay an extra premium for buying through Mahindra First Choice Peace of Mind is Guaranteed.

How much is the Dealer Quoting??? & Whats the Best Price he can Offer?

A Thumbs Up from me!

Cheers,

$@!

Hi Keyrun,

Thanks for your valuable opinion. First dealer is asking for 5.71lac and now they asked for 5lac rupees but they also asked me to visit their showroom for the best price (i assume it could be around 4.75lac). Is it over priced? what do you think? The car is in kolkata.

Thanks for your help.

Please dont trust Mahindra First Choice blindly. I have read in other forums about MFC tampering with the odo and in other case trying to bribe a potential buyer's mechanic. so dont go by the odo but get it checked by a reliable mechanic to see if the wear and tear is proportional to a car which has run 33K. What about the tyres ? Are they OEM tyres or have been replaced (u can check by the date of manufacture of the tyre.

Please dont trust Mahindra First Choice blindly. I have read in other forums about MFC tampering with the odo and in other case trying to bribe a potential buyer's mechanic. so dont go by the odo but get it checked by a reliable mechanic to see if the wear and tear is proportional to a car which has run 33K. What about the tyres ? Are they OEM tyres or have been replaced (u can check by the date of manufacture of the tyre.

Hmmmm may be you are right. They are asking very high price. I spoke with them and the last price they asked is 5lac! That's expensive for a 4+years old 2nd hand car. I have already removed this car from my list and now looking for FIAT Linea/Punto MJD Emotion pack (late 2009 manufactured).

Hi Death_Race,

5,00,000 for CHEVY OPTRA MAGUM LT is a Good Deal Buddy!!! :rolleyes:

I know my friend who deals in cars got a 4yr old i10 for 2,80,000 which clocked around 33k kms and mind you its Petrol.

One more Instance where one of my Dear Friend got a BItter Deal by Maruti TRUE VALUE for a SANTRO LPG which clocked 30k kms for 2,90,000 and he was the 3rd Buyer (I was the one to Spot this on the day of the car delivery. My Friend and the Salesman himself din't knew this. After speaking to his Supervisor he confirmed that its a 3rd Buy. Sherlock Holmes me.....)

One of my Friends took a Chevy OPTRA 1.6 Petrol for 4.5 lakhs. Mind you its PETROL

All these instances are based out of Hyderabad & these are like 2-3 months old examples. Now you decide.

I spoke with them and the last price they asked is 5lac! That's expensive for a 4+years old 2nd hand car. I have already removed this car from my list and now looking for FIAT Linea/Punto MJD Emotion pack (late 2009 manufactured).

The Price Quote which you received is Fab & Moreover MAHINDRA gives the warranty for One year I guess.

If you push the dealer, he might end up giving you extra services for free...

Now You Decide :-)

Cheers,

$@!