scorpionragha

Ford Ecosport Launched starting 5.59L

Renault Duster ;

Less Marketing, less discussion, quick launch & Decent pricing - SUCCESS

M&M Quanto;

Less Marketing, moderate discussion, not much delay in launch - SUCCESS

FORD ECO SPORT;

MASSIVE Marketing, MASSIVE Expectations, MASSIVE campaigning @ AUTO EXPO, & NO LAUNCH YETT !!!!!

^ SUCCESS will be dependent on pricing only now

If Brazil and China can get it today, why not India?

Ford has wasted an opportunity of this Diwali.

Is it so that Ford's existing plant is not capable of accomodating Ecosport?

Ford gave enough time to competitors to learn and understand ecosport (as it is available globally) well.

It gave competitors and edge over ecosport which may cause some damage.

Also the time when Ecosport is expected to launch Feb-Apr'13 is the time of year when Indian market moves slowly.

We also don't know what changes next budget will bring in.

Now any further delay will make people lose interest in this product.

Ford gave enough time to competitors to learn and understand ecosport (as it is available globally) well.

It gave competitors and edge over ecosport which may cause some damage.

Very valid point !

Ford India website has more details on Ecosport:

1. 200mm GC, 550 mm water wading ability

2. Side curtain airbags

3. Lots of interior storage spaces (20 to be precise)

4. Key-less entry and push button start

5. ABS, EBD and Traction Control

6. 6 speed dual clutch AT

7. Hill Launch Assist

8. Trunk capacity - 346 Lts

9. 1 ltr Ecoboost engine - Delivering 120PS/170Nm and FE of 16kmpl

Ford India website has more details on Ecosport:

1. 200mm GC, 550 mm water wading ability

2. Side curtain airbags

3. Lots of interior storage spaces (20 to be precise)

4. Key-less entry and push button start

5. ABS, EBD and Traction Control

6. 6 speed dual clutch AT

7. Hill Launch Assist

8. Trunk capacity - 346 Lts

9. 1 ltr Ecoboost engine - Delivering 120PS/170Nm and FE of 16kmpl

I fear that it'll be damn expensive & will spoil the whole curry by it's price! & lack of 4*4 is another disappointment!

I fear that it'll be damn expensive & will spoil the whole curry by it's price! & lack of 4*4 is another disappointment!

I agree. Seems like all the hype generated till now for this might just come crashing down due to it's pricing (hope i am wrong).

Apart from pricing, spread of variants will be another key to it's success; the way Hyundai has managed to sell it's product by offering atleast 5-6 variants for it's cars.

We have seen the change over of automotive market all these years,out of which the significant one is the launch of mini-SUV's. Starting with launch of Renault Duster, Mahindra Quanta and now the upcoming Ford Ecosport.

In these days, having a mini-SUV makes a dream come true for nuclear families.Ford with its new sibling is about to hit the markets with a bang.And the 1.0-litre motor do makes sense with better efficiency and performance.

Hoping for the best by Ford.

This hardly looks to be the reason for the delay , its not that AUTOMATIC would be the only version available on the vehicle, so why delay.

Moreover , Duster in Brazil already has an auto box .What if Duster launches its product first ? With this knowledge that Renault does have an Autobox any more delay in Ecosports launch can spell doom for the product.

What are they thinking ?

Yeah.. there have been way too many discussions around this car... Just look at this thread.. runs into 3 pages already!!

Its already been featured at so many auto expos worldwide and that's actually given away too many sneak peeks into what would likely be on offer.

IMO, Duster and Quanto capitalized on this and pushed their releases quickly into the market. Result, it has tasted good success. Look at Duster.. everyone was thinking that it wont sell as it goes into the Scorpio territory a little with its higher variants and there will be no takers for petrol. I've seen a lot of petrol powered Dusters around and most sales account for the variant just below the top end.

Ford already has announced its strategy of one car for the world.. (i.e. the same model all over the world).. hope its time they should also adopt the policy of simultaneous launches too...

For one, they can lower the Fiesta sedans production and try to get some production capacity for Ecosport. I'm sure that wont hurt!!

I'm sure this will definitely be a hit on its launch and is certainly going to dent sedan sales the most. I wont be surprised if this car becomes a runaway success like the Swift.

Ford-EcoSport-for-China-4.jpgFord-EcoSport-for-China-3.jpgFord-EcoSport-for-China-1.jpgFord-EcoSport-for-China-2.jpg

Changan-Ford, a JV company which manufactures and sells Ford cars in China has unveiled a slightly longer version of the Ford EcoSport mini SUV at the Guangzhou Auto Show in China.

The car is 39 mm longer than the Brazil and India spec EcoSport, and 9 mm of the excess length comes in the form of an increased wheelbase. There is no sub-four metre norm in China and Ford has decided to give a bit of extra legroom which would be appreciated by the rear-bench-loving Chinese.

The Chinese EcoSport will be powered by the 1.5 litre normally aspirated petrol engine which produces 108.6 bhp of power and 138 Nm of torque. The engine is mated to either a 5-speed manual or 6-speed Powershift automatic gearbox.

The Chinese customers will have to wait at least till mid-2013 for the 1.0L EcoBoost engine variant since the Changan-Ford’s joint venture engine plant, which would build turbocharged petrol engines, is still under construction.

The EcoSport is available in China in three variants namely Comfort, Fashion and Titanium. The automatic transmission is available as an option in both mid- and top- level variants. The China-spec Ford EcoSport has a fuel economy figure of 15.38 kmpl and Ford claims that variants equipped with the autobox is equally efficient.

The Ford EcoSport will go on sale in China next month with the estimated price range of 1,00,000 Yuan (around Rs. 8.86 lakhs) to 1,40,00 Yuan (around Rs. 12.41 lakhs).

[source: Chinaautoweb.com via photo.xcar.com.cn]

I think ford should introduce extended wheelbase version in India also; as rear leg space is one of the key selling elements in Indian Market!

Edited by CarCrazyASTL

Ford EcoSport looks stunning!!! But I have a few doubts:

1. Will Indians be willing to pay Rs. 7-9 lakhs for a 1l engine? This point was raised in one of the earlier posts, but was left unanswered. So reiterating it here.

2. Considering it is a Rs. 7-9 lakhs car, how critical is fuel efficiency vis-a-vis performance? There are so many i20s on Indian roads and they are not known for fuel economy as much as performance.

And I have some doubts regarding the Compact SUV segment itself!

1. Will it be for primarily urban crowd or rural or both?

2. If it's meant for urban crowd, what value proposition would compact SUVs offer over premium hatchbacks(specially i20, Figo) and entry level sedans(City, Verna) which are priced in the same range?

3. What additional features/specs you expect in compact SUVs vis-a-vis similarly priced premium hatchbacks or entry level sedans?

I have been trying to find answers to these on many forums, but little success so far!!

As our market is coming up with new trend especially in value for money family segment cars.....mini or compact suvs are proving more sense than conventional high end hatchback or entry level sedans..

this can be revealed by looking at the sucess story of mahindra quanto..as ford ecosport will also show such characteristics like compact dimensions...boon for city driving...maximum space for hatchback money....value for money.as it would be launched with small displacement turbocharged engine like 1.0 lit 3 cyl ..power should be optimum with proper fuel efficiency...mahindra should be worried now

For Ford's EcoSport to be a success, they just have to launch a car/SUV/jeep that's a lot better than the 'Renault' Duster and Mahindra Quanto, at a little lower (or sensible) price. Ford should provide not just a slightly lower price (competing with Bolero/Sumo on price is not feasible) but also offer the EcoSport as something that is much more capable with better specifications than these two. It has to be a game-changing car. The lack of 4X4 is disappointing, in which case the price has to be brought down. The engine should help them save money on taxes, which can also offset some of the expenses likely to be incurred on the car.

Renault's low-budget Duster has been evaluated by ACI experts as a better car by a long way than Mahindra's Scorpio and Double-O, and has also recorded decent sales. However, at the prices quoted, I find it worrisome that Indian customers are overpaying for an Eastern European budget buggy. All Dacias sell cheap, which is why they are so popular in Europe- but the Duster in India is simply not cheap. They're doing a Logan in India again but with some success. Yet, Mahindra seem to be the least worried, and possibly indifferent, because their competitively-priced, feature-laden, strikingly-designed cars (but raw and rudimentary inside) are still selling very well through a wide dealer network, compared to the overpriced (and getting costlier) Duster which sells through very few dealers. The Ford Ecosport launch, though, can have both Mahindra and Renault worried, if the car is significantly better at a lower price. Ford has a genuine chance to change the game, with a potential winner, and the support of a large dealer network- let's hope they get it right.

Here is the spotting of ford ecosport near ford motor company, chennai.(these pics are taken from an you tube video posted by a person who spotted it)

pic 1 , showing diesel titanium variant.

9KGHSl.jpg

pic 2, showing rear spare wheel cover.It must be available for this suv.

NT50hl.jpg

pic 3 , showing the same fog & reverse light, with slim red reflector arrangement as the brazilian vehicle. Good design.

pic 4 , showing keyless entry(notice the black colour button on front door handle), alloy wheels(must be 16 incher)

8OHK8l.jpg

pic 5 ,

FP9ysl.jpg

uyHHNl.jpg

Here is first picture of this compact SUV in different shade.(pic taken from web).

Its kinetic blue colour.

R8Bjbl.jpg

WncJrl.jpg

One important finding is that the alloy wheels might be different for different trim levels like in Brazil.

This alloy for the top end model.

WncJrl.jpg

This one for the middle variant.

dFvMZl.jpg

My guess is that the launch is in Feb 2013, because it was two months from the date when the kinetic blue figo was spotted.

Must be available in these colour options.

1.Diamond white

2.Moondust silver

3.Panther black

4.Sea grey

5.Kinetic blue

6.Paprika red.

Wow ! Doctor you seem to be hunting these down from all over.

The middle variant alloys look more appealing to me personally than the top variant alloy.

This vehicle sure has a height to it , The innova looks dwarfed by the Ecosports styling (Red Ecosport - Picture 2) .Will definitely rule the indian roads if priced well.

Nice pictures there. Testing seems to be going on in full swing. Cant wait for the launch. This will definitely shake up things in the market. This is a very very important car for Ford in India. A lot depends on its success.

That blue shade is personal favourite. Not too fond of the red though

If Ford can get the pricing, spread of the variants and their specs right then it's going to be too hot to handle for competition.

Ford should have atleast 3 variants in petrol and 4 or may be 5 variants in diesel with proper spec distribution.

This is where Renault missed the trick with Duster.

I would not be too bothered if the top end variant goes above 10 lac as long as they can get the so called middle variant (which will account for max sales volume) with basic comfort/safety features say within 8-8.5 lac range.

The DEMAND (of < 10 L SUV's) is there, but the SUPPLY isnt ( Not enough Dusters/Quanto's i.e. too long waitlist ) so it will sell if priced anywhere < 10L

If FORD plays BOLD and price the Diesel base @ 7 - 7.5 L then it should be a blind buy again

Thanks for the share scorpionragha.

Eco-Sport looks interesting, spare wheel placement on the rear complements the SUV element.

Any interior shots..?

Hi bornfree, Its my pleasure to share what i know.

Personally i feel placing the spare wheel at rear has done a world of good for this SUV. It looks really really attractive.

I dont find any latest interior shots. Dont worry too much, the front part inside the car is almost similar to new fiesta, which is futuristic. Its only the rear seat space we would like to know.I feel the SUV is wide enough to seat three persons comfortably at the rear.

Wow ! Doctor you seem to be hunting these down from all over.

The middle variant alloys look more appealing to me personally than the top variant alloy.

This vehicle sure has a height to it , The innova looks dwarfed by the Ecosports styling (Red Ecosport - Picture 2) .Will definitely rule the indian roads if priced well.

HI Librankur,

I personally cant resist to find the latest news of the SUV over the net. I search for it daily for nearly an hour.One more fact is that i am waiting to own it. Since we have sold our Ford Fiesta(classic) 2009, in sep2012 which have done over 1 lakh km, we are in need of other vehicle & i have planned to own this SUV as an replacement during its launch at auto expo in india earlier this year. Also i doubt whether two models of alloy would come with this SUV.I think only one type of alloy, the one on the blue & orange car shade would come. The other alloy which you liked must be pain to clean.

My personal feeling is that this SUV wont come cheap, It has lots of technology in it.I feel the top end variant in diesel would come around 13-14lacs on road chennai. But still i hope it would sell in good numbers.

It will be very important for Ford to launch the Ecosport with a good price so as to undercut the Duster. The Duster has enjoyed immense success and has quite taken the lead in the compact SUV race. I would say a max of 11.5 for the top end Ecosport and this will be a runaway hit.