arreddyy

Why YAMAHA why ?

I'm just baffled by the decision of Yamaha for targeting just girls with a product which wont look bad on boys . Leaving aside the shades , the design of Ray is brilliant , has a youthful tone . Employing women in almost every procedure is no doubt a good move . But just tagging Ray as a girls scooter may leave a bad taste . Yamaha had a few examples infront of it , Kinetic ( Mahindra ) Flyte and Hero Honda ( Hero ) Pleasure . Both targeted towards fairer sex , didn't fly of the shelves .

Lets take the Flyte first . Kinetic could have targeted college students with it . My sis owns one , and I can tell you its quite a package . Zippy engine , compact body and good brakes . Still , you see the results .

Second , the Pleasure . A Honda Activa clone , could have done wonders for Hero , just because of Hero badge . But the Boys kept away from it .

There is high percentage of urban youth which start of with an automatic scooter . In addition to it , the growing trafic favors the automatic scooters . So there is a huge market for scooters . Auto makers shouldn't tag themselves to a particular audience .

It will be really interesting to see the market reaction , after the initial hype fades .

Your take !

Very right! Categorising a product for a specific user-set kills the overall larger market potential. The message to go out should be fitting for the entire audience at large.

@Sstar: Agree, but partly! No doubt these serve the needs of the fairer sex better, but even guys look for things like comfort, convenience, and versatility which is what what the USP of such products.

Cheers!

Agreed!

Why to brand it for Girls??? Masy be err..... Yamaha can give us the answer

Hero's Pleasure with Priyanka Chopra saying these lines : 'Why should boys have all the fun?' Tanked royally

Boys decided to stay away from this so called scooter which was designed exclusively fun for girls. Hahaha

HONDA & SUZUKI are the best examples, as these brands don't brand their scooters for a particular sex.

Cheers,

$@!

@Sstar: Agree, but partly! No doubt these serve the needs of the fairer sex better, but even guys look for things like comfort, convenience, and versatility which is what what the USP of such products.

I think we should also keep in mind that companies want profit, high volumes, customer. And for the products like these - the greater volume of sales comes from the female customers.

I think Honda Activa is the only exception in this category otherwise, look around for other products in this list...you will notice that most of them are getting ridden by ladies.

Edited by Sstar

dimensions, lower saddle height and overall ergonomics of the scooter suggest that scooter is designed for petite personalities.

For average built girls these factors will suite very well but may not suite the guys in same way though.

Also Yamaha has created enough buzz and craze about their bikes being targetted exclusively for boys.

So this time Yamaha might have thought building up brand image amongst fairer sex too.

So its quite understandable from business perspective.

The doesn't look girlish and its only the statement of Yamaha makes it look girlish. My personal opinion is any bike manufacturer for that matter should never categorize a model with any gender specific, which will in some cases turn away the prospective customers assuming that the bike belongs to the opposite sex.

I had test driven Ray and my feel that Yamaha has done a good job and as some one said only the pink color will not hold good for guys and rest things are fine. ALL IS WELL.

Edited by rki2007

Seriouslt its a fact girls buy girlish things..if they find something cute then only they buy it..a strong masculine scooter will only be famous among boys if it is better than the average ones..not among girls..