Sign in to follow this  
Hersch

Suggestions Reqd. on Buying a Fluidic Elantra 1.8 VTVT SX MT

Dear Friends! We are planning to buy a new car for my younger brother which has left us all confused. He would be using the car for in-city driving almost 80% of the times. Our budget is approx 15 lacs (on road price, +/- 50k) and he has categorically said no to buying a Skoda. We already own a Toyota Corolla Altis and that is checked out too.

We visited the Hyundai showroom this past Saturday to check out the Fluidic Verna but what caught our attention was the new Fluidic Elantra parked there. We all liked the car which looked pretty well put together and tastefully made. There wasn't any test vehicle available and hence we could not check upon the driving dynamics.

The on-road price of the fully loaded SX petrol variant which comes with all the bells and whistles is coming to around 15.6 lacs. Does it truly deliver value for that money? Also, there are no discounts or freebies being offered with the car at the moment.

However, stepping into the cabin did make us realise that this is whole lot better car in terms of the choice of materials and the comfort levels it offered. It definitely looked and felt just so much better than the Verna.

Need your suggestions upon which car to buy, and should we wait till the festive season for better offers or should we wait till mid-next year altogether for the probable new releases? Our primary considerations are comfort, safety, and style. The car would not be used for spirited driving.

Also, in case we do decide in favor of Elantra, should I wait till Diwali for some better offers to come in? The showroom folks say that the current Elantra prices are introductory and might undergo revision in future, however, I personally think of it as a sales technique than anything else.

Please advice! :)

The Elantra is a brand new car. Hyundai is known to offer loads of features in their cars and that itself make it good VFM. I love the styling of the new Elantra. Infact Hyundais current design philosophy impresses me. And the best part is they dont shell out outdated stuff into our country. Of course the Verna would save you a lot of money but if budget permits go for the Elantra. However do take a test drive before you decide.

Normally dealers dont give discounts on new products, you could try for freebies though . And what the sales guy said could be true because prices are generally raised some time after a new model is launched and the initial excitement settles down.

Happy shopping

@Hersch, what PrancingHorse has said is pretty much it.

If you have the budget to go for the Elantra then you should go for it.

It's definitely a bigger, plusher car than Verna.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your monthly running to gauge whether petrol suits you or diesel.

However, one car to watch out for in future is Ford Ecosport.

Though nothing has been confirmed till now about it's launch but it's expected in Q1 2013.

So if you can wait till that much time then I personally feel it's going to be worth it.

I think the sales guy was pointing the right thing. Since the Elantra is a new car from Hyundai hence they may well go for a price hike after looking into the initial demand. Also, I dont think they would offer any discount or freebie on the Elantra, however you can surely get those on Verna.

Comparing Verna Vs Elantra. So the first thing is that Elantra is a new, plush car be it in interior or exterior. It has some of the class leading features too like ventilated front seats.

On the other hand, Verna is a fresh one as well but now days you would see them a many on the road. So if you want to be a stand apart and if your budget permits you should go for Elantra otherwise, verna is also not at all a bad choice.

Question: Why don't you look for VW Jetta TSI? This is also a new one and has a turbo petrol engine.

Edited by Sstar

Many thanks to all for the suggestions! It is very confidence inspiring to see that you all find Elantra to be a good car. One thing I was afraid of was facing a buyer's remorse post buying this car which has been pretty much put to rest.

@sachins: The monthly mileage would be low @ below 800 kms. Also, I discussed with my brother about the XUV500 and he clearly didn't feel much interested going in for a SUV. I am thinking he wouldn't be too keen on the Ecosport, though I feel that it looks stunning, both inside and out.

@Sstar: The brand VW somehow never appealed to me. All their cars look pretty much the same even from the inside which is where we spend most of the time driving. Also, as pointed out by @PrancingHorse above, I love the fact that Hyundai does not and has never dumped their outdated stuff in India unlike many other manufacturers.

I agree with some of the comments posted above. Go for the Elantra now, its a common practice for manufacturers to price the car competitively at launch & hike the price later after setting a good presence in the market.

Other than that, you can wait for the festive season for better discounts. We aren't looking at any promising or confirmed launches in the near future. It wouldn't make sense to wait a year. You can consider other good options currently available.

I see you've ruled out Skoda's offerings but the Jetta is good product, I'm not sure of price or on-road price in your city but worth considering if it fits in your budget. Volkswagens Vento too makes for a good option if you pit against your initial choice of the Verna Fluidic.

But summed up, Hyundai has the most comfortable & best looking cars in the segment, stability at highway-speeds isn't confidence inspiring & are meant for city use. The German cars are built much better, they may or may-not be safer than those coming from the Korean giant but the reassuring thud from the doors & the feeling of being cocooned inside the cabin build up to that mindset. I've faced issues with Hyundai's service and reliability isn't great (owned 4 Hyundais).

Hope this helps,

Test drove the diesel with auto tranny over the weekend. Although the performance was not highly exhilarating, it didn't feel all that boring either. The showroom didn't have the manual petrol top end version which I intend to buy. I hope it would provide much better performance compared to the diesel automatic I tested. The best part was the rear bench which was very comfortable, offered lots of leg space and provided good under thigh support. It reminded me of the Civic while I was seated at the back. The dash is also nicely put together and the overall feel of the car is much better when compared to its competition. The feature list is endless and the only thing missing was a sunroof. I am planning to book the same, most likely over this weekend and the expected delivery would be in Navratras. Planning to go for a White one... :)

Elantra is a great car I had booked a elanta diesel and i think its the best car in the segment..........it offers great features and the driving dynamics are all great................i've done a test drive on that car soo confident with this car....................