cars4life

Chevrolet Sail U-VA launched at Rs 4.44 L EDIT: Prices now reduced

post-7828-0-19523600-1348219020.jpg

The Aveo U-VA never really took off when it was launched. It was a very ordinary car with dull interiors and poor plastics. Wasnt fun to drive either so eventually it failed to gather a good sales figure for GM in India.

Now Chevy is back in a second innings with an all new hatchback the Sail U-VA. (The 'Sail' name reminds one of the Opel Corsa hatchback) It is actually going to be the first locally produced and re engineered for India Chinese car. From the pictures, the looks are not very modern or new age . It looks just like an ordinary hatch. The same can be said about the interiors. However the Sail is going to come with the option of a diesel engine which was missed in the Aveo U-VA. No prizes for guessing what powerplant it will use. Yes, its our National engine the Fiat 1.3 MJD. The petrol will have a 1.2 liter unit.

With competitors like the Swift, Figo, Liva and the Micra, the Sail will surely have its work cut out. Do you think the Sail hatch will bring in the volumes for Chevrolet, something which the predecessor couldnt? Or will it turn out to be another sales dud?

post-7828-0-08637100-1348219024.jpg

post-7828-0-29421600-1348219015.jpg

Still can't understand why they would give us this instead of the Sonic (see pic). Seems India has been cheated out of a contemporary new product once again on account of our poor infrastructure and meeting cost targets. If they could sell us the Beat, I can't see why they can't sell us this. I don't think it would have been too hard to adapt the Sonic for India.

Chevrolet-Sonic_2012_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

This car can only succeed if they price it very aggressively. The problem is that no car from GM's indian line-up is aspirational or desirable. That could change if they launched a couple of cars like the Camaro or the Corvette. Even if these sell in small numbers, they would change the image of GM dramatically. And while they're at it, why not bring in the Impala, a name familiar to many of us from the '70s?

I really want to know, what GM India thought, while deciding to launch it such avarage looking car with very common 1.3 Diesel engine! Chevy & Ford are always cosidered as "EXPENSIVE"; as this is land of Tatas n' Marutis (Which is shared by Tatas n' Marutis also!) Many of you may say that they can price it competetive; but then can never price it same as Tata Vista or could never beat MS Swift in terms of reliablity nor even Fiat Punto in terms styling! Then why someone will buy it? Just give me a single reason to buy this!

Does anyone remember Chevy SRV (Optra Hacthback!) Though it also didn't sell , It was a stunning car!2008116884_O.jpg2006080601731502.jpg

Though it's dated now; but they'ld bring this beauty, the cheav y Cruze Hatchback here!

2012-Chevrolet-Cruze-Hatchback-wallpaper.jpg

Interesting to have a Chinese designed American brand being launched in a very sentimental Indian Auto market. I really feel the design has not matched upto the expected standards keeping in mind that the Beat has been one good hatch design. But this seems more spacious and on the lines of Hyundai i20. But then we all know Chevrolet have been bad with design checks when products are designed somewhere outside USA. The Spark, old U-VA and another hatchback I don't even remember since it came and went like London rains, all were design sorrows. In addition, I don't see a reason why someone will buy this hatch over any other that flood the market, that too from biggies of Hatch like Hyundai and MS. Let's see if they will have the free 3 year maintenance offer along with this to boost up the sales. Also, I really don't feel Chevrolet are expecting high sales in midst of low production after the curtailing the manufacturing plant.

Seriously SONIC would have been a game changer in INDIA!

SONIC would have thrashed the SWIFT. GM C'mon..... Buckle Up!

SONIC comes in a Sedan avatar too which looks really cool, Far better than the SWIFT Dzire, Then why GM is promoting these Chinese Twins I don't understand.

Check out the Sonic Twins here... http://www.chevrolet.com/sonic-small-cars.html

http://www.chevrolet.com/sonic-hatchback-car/exterior-pictures.html

Chevrolet-Sonic_2012_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

Guys..

While many of you talking about why not Sonic? I think you should consider the fact the GM India is having SAIC as a major partner. So GM India is now not having actual DNA of GM, USA. It is controlled by Chinese giant. The fact that GM India managed to cover up and not let it spread.

Sail twins are their attempt to check acceptance of Chinese cars in Indian market.

If accepted well, soon Indian market will be flooded by Chinese cars.

I think we should wait and watch the car in flesh and test it ourselves before blaming it to be cheap chinese.!

As a overall package car seems to be acceptable.

Would it be a hit or not, can't be answered so early unless we know the tag it will bear.

I doubt that price will be on lower side because there is only 42% localization in this car as per Autocar.

I do not think Sail would make any big impact. The reasons are as follows:

1. Beat Diesel will always make more sense for city commuters as it will be cheaper and more fuel efficient.
  2. Rear side of Sail is not at all appealing (at least to me).
  3. Competition from Figo, Swift, Ritz, etc

This will change your Opinion about the SAIL twins:

The Chinese market is what, 20 times the size of what it is in India? When a CBU-selling BMW or Mercedes decides to make an exclusive car for your country, you know there’s something wrong with them, or there’s something special about your car buying population.

The Chinese market is massive, and I’ll tell you by how much. GM India sold about 3,513 units of the Cruze from January to July 2012.

Can you guess how many Cruzes were sold in China this year?

10,000? 20,000?

1.35 lakhs!

How many units did the CR-V sell in India this year? 100, 200? In China, Honda delivered 105,596 units.

The BMW 5 Series did 56,000 units. BMW India has not sold 56,000 units of all its cars combined together since its launch in 2008.

Its not just big sedan and SUVs that sell like popcorn in a cinema theater. The VW Golf for instance, clocked over 70,000 units in seven months. The VW Polo clocked 77,000 units.

But if you see the top 5 best selling cars, there’s one vehicle which you would not believe is China’s favorite.

Yes, we’re talking about the Chevrolet Sail. The Sail is a massive success for SAIC and General Motors in 2012. GM sold 161,297 cars, an improvement of over 41% over 2011, making it China’s second best selling car. In May and July, the Sail was China’s best selling car.

Not shocking? India’s best selling car was for so many years the Maruti Alto. Coming a distant second and third were cars such as the Wagon R, Indica or i10. Its the segment that’s booming, not the product, right?

Wrong!

The best selling car in China is the Buick Excelle (a rebraded Opel Astra, a C-Segment model), while 3rd place is taken by the VW Jetta followed by the Chevrolet Cruze and VW Passat. Many of these cars are sold in different variations, perhaps by different joint ventures, but none of them compete in Sail’s segment or even in its neighbourhood.

There are plenty of local Chinese car companies that manufacture cars at the Sail’s price point, but how come they don’t feature in top 50, let alone top 10?

Has your opinion of the Chevrolet Sail changed this moment?

Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2012/08/will-this-change-your-opinion-about-the-chevrolet-sail#ixzz27ZrGZya7

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2012/08/will-this-change-your-opinion-about-the-chevrolet-sail

Cheers,

$@!

Just like it's previous version SAIL UV-A also don't have any character and the exterior as well as interior is not at all appealing.

Even if compared with it's own sibling BEAT the Sail UV-A looks very old and un-attractive.

Only saving grace would be the pricing. If Chevrolet launch this vehicle at the price of Tata Indica and with diesel option , it will be able to find buyers across country otherwise there seems to be no more USP in this product by Chevrolet.

+1 to Tejas.

Lacks style, character, appeal and that "Buy Me" label on it.. I'd say even the Indica Vista has better build quality and interiors.

And if this build quality gets carried over to the sedan as well, its going to be an investment going to the dogs. I mean, what were they thinking when designing that center console and steering wheel? The plastics "look" cheap... forget about actually feeling them and giving the verdict.

I'd say, even Maruti did a good job with the new Swift's interiors after they saw what their competition (Hyundai and VW) did with their cars. This is such a disappointment.

There's nothing special about the design of this car, and honestly, as a few said, it will have to be priced as much as a Vista or Swift to be competitive here. GM India cars are rather underpowered and overpriced. There's absolutely nothing to convince any car buyer with the money to buy these cars, with the exception of the Cruze. It doesn't have style, power or value for money.

If GM India isn't keen on providing Indian customers a better car, but just opening the floodgates for Chinese cars, the Indian customers can buy other products. Ford offers better cars, unit for unit, piece for piece. Likewise, Honda, Renault and Hyundai. Cars similar to what GM India has to offer already come from the Maruti and Tata showrooms at reduced prices.

Merely flashing statistics about China's booming car market vis-a-vis India's relatively sluggish (and we know why- high car prices, high fuel prices, lack of value-for-money products in the market, and the indifferent attitude of the government and the car companies towards Indian customers) auto sales doesn't give any company an excuse to offer lesser products in the Indian car market. The customers rejected the Dacia Logan outright, and I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected this too.

Ideally, if this SAIC car gets launched in India, Ford should launch the hatchback Fiesta (the same being sold in New Zealand) to counter it. That is a significantly better product, with much more value for money.

The success of this car depends on pricing.

Chevy Sonic is a good product, but AFAIK its only for LHD markets and doesnt come with a diesel heart. GM can surely "Indianise" it if needed. It can slot pretty well above the Sail twins and can compete head to head with the City and the Verna.

This looks good on the pics, but its success is purely depended on the pricing of the diesel version. It is better to talk about the petrol version which we have already seen that what happened to the previous version of UV-A

SAIL U-VA starts at Rs 4.44 lakhs

In a bid to boost sagging sales, GM India today launched its premium hatchback

Chevrolet Sail U-VA priced between Rs 4.44 lakh and Rs 6.62 lakh (ex-showroom

Delhi), which is lesser than market leader Swift.

The petrol option of Sail U-VA will be available in four variants between Rs 4.44

lakh and Rs 5.58 lakh and will be competing directly with Maruti Suzuki's Swift,

Hyundai Motor India's i20 and Ford Figo.

While the Swift is priced between Rs 4.47 lakh and Rs 5.72 lakh, Hyundai i20 is

tagged at Rs 4.74 lakh to Rs 6.66 lakh. Ford Figo is priced between Rs 3.85 lakh

and Rs 5.01 lakh (all ex-showroom Delhi).

In diesel, the Sail U-VA comes in three options priced between Rs 5.87 lakh and

Rs 6.62 lakh. Swift diesel is priced between Rs 5.57 lakh and Rs 6.82 lakh, while

i20 diesel is available in the Rs 5.97-6.98 lakh range. Ford Figo comes at a range

of Rs 4.81 lakh to Rs 5.99 lakh (all ex-showroom Delhi).

(source : Economic Times - today)

Seen SAIL U-VA on-road yesterday.

It looked good, specifically from front n side.

Rear is mix of Polo & Ritz but is acceptable.

I think this car is having all the right

ingredients of becoming an ideal Mass mover

executive hatchback in the country.

Chevrolet India slashes prices of SAIL U-VA

Chevrolet has slashed prices for the Sail U-

VA hatchback. The hatchback’s earlier

starting price of Rs 4.44 lakh (ex-showroom,

Thane) for the base 1.2-litre petrol variant

has now been revised to Rs 4.19 lakh for all

models produced in 2013. There is also an

additional discount of Rs 3,000 being offered

for all corporates on models produced this

year.

Also, 2012 models of the U-VA are being

offered with an additional discount of Rs

25,000 on both petrol and diesel variants,

bringing the starting price down to Rs 3.94

lakh.

Since its launch in November, 2012, the Sail

U-VA’s sales have consistently been sliding,

with the hatchback hitting a peak of 1,595

units sold in November, 2012. That figure slid

to a paltry 560 units sold in February, 2013.

The Sail U-VA is the first model in India from

the GM-SAIC joint venture, and is powered by

a 79bhp 1.2-litre petrol engine and a 1.3-

litre Fiat-sourced diesel motor.

-ACI.