Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

SCOOP: Honda confirms Brio based diesel sedan for India before Brio diesel hatch

In one of the biggest SCOOPs in recent times, Hondas global CEO has confirmed that it will be launching an entry level diesel sedan based on the Brio for India and it will be launched BEFORE the Brio diesel hatch. Of course both these cars are coming in the next fiscal.

Exciting times for the Indian car buyers ahead. Do you think these cars will be game changers? Im sure these will open up price wars up and down the segments.

What do you think?

Wow, this is news! I should think they are targetting the etios, dzire, verito market. If they do come up with something that is just short of the 8 lacs mark (on road, mumbai) then we have a winner on our hands for sure. It's going to be an uphill task for Honda to reposition their image in India as a value for money, reliable, cheap to run product manufacturer. This one will do the trick nicely.

I think that will be a move yet to see. Firstly Honda launches the car in 2014 trying to tap into the utility vehicle market in diesel variant. a year and half down the line the market seems unpredictable to prove and we don't know how Oil prices will affect it. Secondly, I hope the audience that honda tries to target is right. They cant afford to sell as the niche car of any product range that they have done in the past with Accord, City and Jazz. There are no two questions that when Honda delivers, it delivers quality and I would love to get a shot at their new diesel engines keeping into account my adoration for Honda since a long time.

I guess this was the most anticipated move by car lovers that the most reliable car brand "Honda" launches a diesel variant, so finally we will be seeing a winner! Enough of "swifts" on Indian roads! :D

As per today's Autocar India update on facebook:

'Honda India CEO confirms all new 1.5 diesel debut in entry saloon post March 2013. Will power future new models too but not existing models'.

This maybe due to the fact that they chassis of the current lineup of Honda cars may be suitable enough to lug or to be powered by Diesel engines.

I guess, they won't be counting Brio hatch as the existing product model.

While current Honda City is surely not coming in diesel as its Nex-gen variant is supposed to be launched with diesel engine in 2014,

Hopefully Brio is not in the "existing models" list. As a diesel power is must for Brio to make more impact in the industry.

India is the market where every company gets simmilar treatment. Honda was considered to be niche manufacturer in past. But now it has to come down and address the different segment.

Why every one is going the cheaper way? VW also considering same.

Can anyone retain their premium image( let it cost more, afterall premiumness comes at price )?

ACI Exclusive: Honda teases Brio-based saloon

Brio-based saloon to come to India by mid-next year. Will be powered by a 1.5-litre diesel.

post-67-0-57359100-1351251009.jpg

Honda has released an official teaser image of the upcoming Brio-based saloon on its Thailand website.

This new saloon is scheduled to hit our shores mid-next year. It will be powered by the all-new 1.5-litre diesel engine. Honda will plonk this diesel engine in the Brio hatchback as well.

The Brio-based saloon will be sub-4-meteres in length so it will benefit from the reduce excise duty.

When launched, this new saloon will compete with the likes of the Indigo eCS, Swift Dzire and the upcoming Mahindra’s sub-4-metere Verito. (ACI)