aky.mohla

Confused about the petrol hatchbacks

Hey everyone,

We are buying our first car this month. :) It will be definitely a petrol car and the budget is around 5-5.5 lakh.

The cars I have zeroed upon are:

1.) VW POLO 1.2 Comfortline - My heart is going with this one. :rolleyes: So sleek and I have heard a lot about its best in class handling and build quality, I am In love with this German beauty. :wub: . But i am worried about the A.S.S. , costly service and spares.

2) Hyundai i20 Magna(o) - Nice interiors, good design and loads of features on the list. But the Asta and Sportz is out of our budget, so the features are same in Magna (o) as in VW Polo.

3) Ford Figo Titanium Petrol- A real VFM , but the looks not so appealing.

So the competition is only b/w Polo and i20.

I have some questions ,

1) Is VW A.S.S. really pathetic ? Any idea about the Chandigarh region ?

2) Which is more FE car among these ?

The dealer is offering Hyundai i 20 Magna(o) at Rs. 527000 ex showroom with Rs 15000 cash discount ,whereas at VW , the dealer is offering Polo comfortline at Rs. 534000 showroom price with free insurance.

I am confused about the two cars. :wacko:

First of all welcome to the forum

Well VW service has got quite a few brick brats around. I have no clue about Chandigarh though. But yes parts and service will definitely be on the higherside. I would suggest you consider the i20. Though the 1.2 is not a scorcher of an engine, it does everything right in the city. Another plus is Hyundai service which is right there with Maruti.

Since you are looking at petrols only any particular reason why you havent shortlisted the Swift?

VW Polo is indeed a great Vehicle, but yes There are problems with ASS of VW!

I personally dos't like I20 very much, & It drives like jellyfish!

Ford Figo face-lift is comming within month & that may apeal to you check it on ACI forum!

I have seen and driven both cars. Personally, I prefer i20 over Polo.

May be due to the fact that Hyundai has better approach towards customers,

better service set up and relatively cheap maintenance. Features wise, too,

i20 seems well appointed. Two of my colleagues have petrol i20s. And, for

the last almost 2 years they are quite happy with them, no problems so far

(as far as I gather from them). Hyundai has a very good set up even in

Tirupati (a small place, where I live). So, probably they will have a better and

a bigger set up in Chandigarh. I am not sure about VW. We do not have

it here or anywhere near.

So, I suggest you go for i20. Well appointed, excellent and contemporary styled

car, good to excellent support backup. What more you need ?

You can also consider Skoda Fabia, everything is just Fab about this car, except the mileage which is around 13 in city conditions. But once you drive it and the comfort it offers inside is pretty amazing. Drives and feels like a proper sedan!

VW Polo is indeed a great Vehicle, but yes There are problems with ASS of VW!

I personally dos't like I20 very much, & It drives like jellyfish!

Ford Figo face-lift is comming within month & that may apeal to you check it on ACI forum!

Yeah heard about the figo facelift, but the changes are minimal. Its really getting complicated to choose, now the final deal on both the cars will be the decider.

I would suggest you to go with HONDA when it comes to petrol.

i20 has a list of issues whereas VW has doubtful AfSS. Both are pathetic in FE, costly to maintain, fetch bad resale.

Increase your budget a bit and JAZZ, the best Petrol hatch, with BRIO close second.

Opt for Brio AT if your car is strictly fr city drive.

in your budget

swift is the drivers car,

i20 is the most feature rich car,

ford is the economical one and

vw is the bad ASS one,

hondas though initially expensive are the most efficient from the longer run point of view

decide what you want

I would suggest you to consider Honda Jazz or Brio.

I wouldnt suggest i20 as in my opinion ita all show no go. The petrol feels dull and the car doesn't handle as you would expect it to.

No doubt the Honda Jazz is the best option, but then you will have to increase your budget by around 55,000 even for the base version. Personally I wouldn't look beyond the Swift. Its a great car and Maruti are supposed to have addressed the braking issue now. You can pick up the VXI version for your budget with some money to spare. The K series engine is really great to drive. The i20 is a good car..but so boring like most Hyundais (no offence to any Hyundai owners but just a personal opinion)

BTW why dont you wait till December...You may land up with some good discounts especially on petrol models.

Thanks to everybody for responding to my queries.

Jazz is simply out of my budget and I don't like the design of new swift. like i20 as well as Polo , but I am worried about the FE of the Polo and i20 petrol versions.

Can anyone help me with the figures of the FE of the new Hyundai i20 petrol ? and Polo too.

The new swift doesn't look that appealing and is too common , and I have heard that there is a issue with the brakes in Vxi variants. Is there any ?

First thing, there is no issue with Swift Vxi or any petrol variant of swift. it was for diesel variant only.

On the 120 Vs Polo. I would suggest you to go for i20 as it will offer you more value of money and more rear seat legroom than polo. Moreover, with little more money, you can got for option pack win Magna which will include ABS (an important) safety feature which would not find in the polo comfortline.

Hyundai's After Sales Services is all time second to Maruti only and VW never stands closer to that.

Hello even my budget is also at max 5.5lacs. Planning to buy family car in Diwali.

I was looking forward to Fiat Punto.

For me FE is important but Ground Clearance is also as I live in Himachal.

Won't be going for base model.

Car won't be used very often. As I prefer riding bike but yes it will be used for a family trips.

My dad wants to go for Quanto(base model) but personally I don't want to. As it will costs another lacs & diesel engine which will cost more in maintenance. Base Model will have nothing in it. Also I read in a reviw ride is also bouncy & kind of body roll problem above 100kmph.

I want to keep my budget in between 5 to 5.5 lac.

Please do suggest your car choice.

First thing, there is no issue with Swift Vxi or any petrol variant of swift. it was for diesel variant only.

On the 120 Vs Polo. I would suggest you to go for i20 as it will offer you more value of money and more rear seat legroom than polo. Moreover, with little more money, you can got for option pack win Magna which will include ABS (an important) safety feature which would not find in the polo comfortline.

Hyundai's After Sales Services is all time second to Maruti only and VW never stands closer to that.

Sir, you are mistaken as there's no ABS on i20 Magna(o). After considering all the vehicles in this category , I have zeroed upon Swift petrol and Figo diesel ( at the starting of my search , i had disliking for both the cars, :P ,..but both grew on me eventually.. :) )

Swift Vxi 516000 onroad price here in chandigarh and new Figo D Zxi is Rs 581582. (No disocunts on both the cars and both are available before diwali, so avaialbility is not an issue now.)

Cosnidering our usage, petrol is a better option, but the Figo D is definitely a fun to drive car. I am about to book the car soon, maybe tomorrow .

What I am worried about the Swift braking issue , if anyone can clear my doubt regarding it ? Have the maruti guys addressed this issue ? This can be a deal breaker for me.

Regards

AkY