BonFre

Between Duster & Ertiga

Fellows Im in the market again & this time with a totally different set of Cars. The choice this time around includes:

Renaults turnaround car - Duster

Mahindras upmarket offering - XUV

Trusty old - Toyota Innova

What I need? Basically a comfortable vehicle to sit & drive. Ease of access - super Ingress/egress, ergonomics, spacious front seat. Front Drivers seat is of foremost importance. I want to be the most comfortable place to be in.

Seating > 4 is not a requirement but if it comes with superb front row seats, I won't mind the extra 3rd row.

Im thinking of retaining this vehicle for at least 5 years. Therefore have Reliability, cheap maintainence, niggle free vehicle on mind.

Upcoming Safari Storme has an outside chance though Im not so keen becasue it pays to wait & watch a Tata/Mahindra vehicle for atleast 1 year post launch.

Nissan Evalia has been shown the door becasue of its looks/perception. I don't want to be seen in a vehicle that's going ot be preceived as a taxi.

Thread title & Post edited: Content added.

Though I would say the Innova is the obvious choice since its tried and tested, I have taken a fondness for the Duster. I just love the way it looks very very imposing indeed and the ride quality is fantastic. Only doubt as of now would be the service network in my opinion. My pick would be the Duster

Yes Innova ticks most of the boxes except the SUV angle. Choice by default would be Innova. Duster & XUV have that outside chance.

Dusters service concerns are on my mind too, local dealer is providing only sales I guess but a service center will come sooner or later & yes their standards are pretty much unknow.

With XUV concerns are the niggling problems initial batch of customers faced & Mahindras below par after sales experience.

Presently Dusters got the max. waiting timelines of ~4 months followed by XUV of ~ a month & then Innova ~15 days.

Heart says XUV but mind Innova, Duster is a good compromise!

@BF,

IIRC, You already bought a Innova,

Since you need a spacious SUV, I strongly recommend to have Storme. Its butchy, go anywhere SUV, excellent ride, sorted handling,...

Pic comparo of XUV & Storme :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/925051d1336486420-tata-safari-storme-test-drive-review-pics-4.jpg

Another choice should be Yeti, its a premium Mini SUV unlike Duster.

Evalia should be consider only when most of your drives consists of 5+.

If none of the above, go for XUV, as you said, its still not 100% sorted out.

Storme with Safari's interior space, Aria's platform, LR's inputs if priced well, will be a big hit.

Edited by creativebala

I would suggest you to go for Renault Duster. While Innova is a proven workhorse, duster also performs well.

Duster is easy to drive in the city as compared to Innova because of its smaller dimensions and is also good on the highways. Its cheaper than Toyota Innova and more fuel efficient too. If you are based in a major city then I think that servicing might not be an issue in the coming years. If you can look over the service issue than duster is a very good car. It provides you with the looks of an SUV with relatively easy to drive nature if a hatchback or a sedan. The space is adequate for a family of four. Moreover Innovas are too common on the road nowadays.

@CB, sold off the Innova some time ago. Last time I purchased a Swift Diesel.

Storme never occured ot me! What about Tata's time honoured problems with Reliability? Previous Safari owners have been through some horrendous times.

Not including Yeti in the list & Evalia is out.

Will watch Stormes pricing though, if it make me a huge saving, it could be considered.

@dewank, Yes Duster comes cheaper than the others & saves on fuel. I need to TD this extensively!

Btw which Duster variant to choose, 85PS or 110PS? Guess 110 falls into XUV category, at that price I would prefer XUV/Innova.

@BF,

Are you in a hurry to buy? If not wait.

Book a XUV today and wait for Storme price & Ecosport price. IMHO, Duster is overpriced for what it offers.

btw, why Yeti not in list?

With recent price cut, its more VFM for some one considering 110Duster. If you fear Skoda's AfSS, drop Yeti, otherwise its a Superb offering.

Edited by creativebala

@CB, No hurry as such.

XUV does not have long waiting lists now, so prior booking is not necessary. Duster is the one which commands a huge waiting list.

Finally I will book only the vehicle I decide to purchase.

@ BF: Congrats first of all for solving a small car's big confusion on Diesel hatch :)

For SUV: I think you should go for XUV as the product itself is unmatched in terms of space. features, luxury @ affordable price, Reliable Service network of M&M across the country.

I would not recommend Innova as you already had a taste of it..so this time try a new one.

For Duster, i have two concerns first one is the service network second is sitting comfort for 5 adults with an avergage height of 5.7, it is not comfortable. Also the cabin equipments are not so price worthy.

Edited by Sstar

@Sstar, thanks. Im pretty much inclined towards XUV. It also fulfills my SUV ambitions to some extent. Niggling problems reported by consumers are a big hinderance.

I would not mind investing in an Innova again, its a beautiful vehicle.

My prime concern is the "best & the most comfy drivers seat". Seating more than 4 is not really required, so the 3rd row is not necessary. At the same time I would not mind that extra baggage if it comes with superb front row seats.

Note: OP edited, content added.

@BF

Having gone through above posts, I think if it's not Innova then it has to be either XUV or Storme.

Since you don't require 3rd row seats so both of these will offer superior space in front 2 rows (specially Storme).

Only hindrance with both of them will be niggling issues. Though i personally think Storme will be better in that department as it will not have too much of electronic gadgetry.

Having personally owned a Safari, it's got the best interior space (1/2 rows) i have ever seen and so is the ride quality.

Only problem I felt was of handling, but Storme should be atleast a league apart in this having been built on monocoque chasis.

My suggestion will be to wait for Storme pricing and then decide accordingly.

Xuv is the far better. Innova may be more reliable but it is almost 10 yrs old car with only minimal upgrades and more so majority taxis are innovas, so difficulty accept as personal family car atleast last 1-2 years. Duster is an alrounder and better in handling and riding, but in my opinion if you want to go for duster wait for ecosport. finally xuv it's definately head turner, spacious interiors, long list of equipment and decent ride. Coming to wrong side some niggiles are there but when compared with over all good things those are negligible. Finally I owned innova over last 6 yrs and recently upgraded to xuv.

dont know why DUSTER is even considered as an SUV , like the YETI it does not have the SUV stance , too low on everything in my personal opinion.

steer clear of the XUV ,though a bit gadgety,recently enroute amritsar almost died on multiple occassions,the brakes are almost non existant ,my scorpio has better braking than the XUV

INNOVA and STORME should not be out of the list also, they both are too dated now, even with a few tweeks.

Scorpio has its share of troubles, so should not be part of any list at all.

none does it for me now...

@BF:

I think first thing you should be doing is to take a TD of XUV and see if it fulfills your driver seat's sitting requirements and other aspects. If you like it...then book it and in the meanwhile there will be STORM so you would have another option.

My suggestion will be to wait for Storme pricing and then decide accordingly.

Now thinking about it, guess it will be a gamble. Never know the reliability.

Xuv is the far better. Innova may be more reliable but it is almost 10 yrs old car with only minimal upgrades Duster is an alrounder and better in handling and riding, but in my opinion if you want to go for duster wait for ecosport. finally xuv it's definately head turner, spacious interiors, long list of equipment and decent ride. Coming to wrong side some niggiles are there but when compared with over all good things those are negligible. Finally I owned innova over last 6 yrs and recently upgraded to xuv.

Actullay Innova is such a vehicle that there's minimal room for improvement. Whereas XUV is in the growing phase.

Duster is appealing but when I see it on road, at times it looks a shade smaller. While greater concern is how would Renault perform on after sales.

Now that you own XUV, give a detailed Ownership account in a seperate thread. Will be very informative for people interested in buying the vehicle.

steer clear of the XUV ,though a bit gadgety,recently enroute amritsar almost died on multiple occassions,the brakes are almost non existant ,my scorpio has better braking than the XU

Oh yeah, tell me more about it. That's too bad for a vehicle of this class.

I think first thing you should be doing is to take a TD of XUV and see if it fulfills your driver seat's sitting requirements and other aspects

Yes I need to TD XUV extensively. Actually I did when its was launched but memories have faded since then, its renewal time now!

Storme is almost ruled out.

Due to the various niggling issues reported by customers, Im on the bribk of excluding XUV from the choices.

An all new Innova is expected in a year or two, don't know is this the right time to buy one!

Renaults credentials are still unknown, there's the fear of getting stuck with Duster.

What does all this leave with me, choices seem aplenty from a distance but when you are in the market for real, all withers away! There's still dearth of great cars.

@BornFree

Sir, if the commute is mostly in city and some limited highway run then 85PS version would suffice your needs. 85PS is more than enough. More importantly the 85PS version produces max torque of 200NM at 1900 RPM whereas the 110PS version produces max torque of 248NM at 2250 NM which makes te 85PS version more easier to drive in the city than the 110PS version. Instead of going for 110PS version, you could go for a higher variant of the 85PS version.

@BF,

Most of the reviews for Storme out there are really giving it a thumpsUP. IMHO, a Duster & a Storme at same price should favour Storme.

Agreed that Tata might have niggles, but so do Duster.

I strongly recommend Storme for its Sofa like mid row, X2 platform(with LR inputs), Sheer Size, Go_any_where attitude, better fit and finish(compared to duster). The only negative will be FE.

More importantly the 85PS version produces max torque of 200NM at 1900 RPM whereas the 110PS version produces max torque of 248NM at 2250 NM which makes te 85PS version more easier to drive in the city than the 110PS version. Instead of going for 110PS version, you could go for a higher variant of the 85PS version

Those torque figures are interesting, litereally 85 PS should suffice. Most of my drive is going to be in the City with occassional highways, 85 PS should just do good.

Problem with the Duster is their Model range w.r.t. features. Base starts from ~8.5 ex-showroom & Option pack goes to ~ 10.5L. There's a difference of 2L & base 110BHP starts from 10.5L. I was keen on either base 85bhp or one version higher that for ~ 9.5L but that again does not have the required features.

Guess Duster will loose for me becasue of features w.r.t. price of the vehicle & Renault being new in the market i.e. a.s.s. standards are unknown.

Tata might have niggles, but so do Duster.

& what are the niggles with Duster? Hope you were not talking about the ergonomic issues.

I want a reliable vehicle that serves me goood for atleast 5yrs.

Duster being out of consideration, it leaves us with the Innova as the best option available.

XUV is definately a looker and comes feature packed, but there are too many issues with the car. I have heard couple of stories about the clutch going kaput on only months old XUV's. Moreover in my opinion, people at Mahindra service centres are not well versed with knowledge of such features which migh pose a problem in after sales.

Innova is the most safe bet among all.

Yes as a matter of fact, Im left with a very few decent choices. Duster doesn't come good on features, XUV suffers from niggles, Im not keen on Storme.

Storme reminded me of Scorpio, I'd almost forgotten this one. Like Innova, there's a talk of a new Scorp. early next year.

You Want a comfy SUV so you should go for Innova but XUV is also a good pick, XUV offers luxury in very low price. It also has very great feature list. So I will prefer XUV W8

Note from ACI-Support: Avoid the use of excessive dots "....." within sentences. Before hitting the "post reply" tab, review your post for any errors.

After pondering on the choices for some while, TD'ed Duster again today. Liked the experience.

Its difficult deciding on the model, in total there are about 6 vatinats, which one should I get..?

Base costs ~ 8.5L

next ~ 9.5 L

85 Option pack ~ 10.5L

110 base ~ 10.5L

next ~ 11.5L

10.5L variant would be the limit for me or else Innova makes more sense. Ideally I would not want to spend a lot of money on the Duster.

The Base NXT you mentioned has ABS and doesn't come with that idiotic 2nd row AC, so +1 for that.

Today Duster may be doing good, but once when XAlpha & EcoSport are out, Duster would appear cheap in front of them.

IMHO, Duster is awesome for exteriors, but nothing else. If you can wait a little, wait for EcoSport.

OT- Why not Aria Base? Its prices recently corrected, the new VFM king of SUV/Crorrover segment.