BonFre

Between Duster & Ertiga

Yes 110PS base model appeals the most but Im more keen on 85PS base or middle. This is becasue I don't want to spend too much on a product which is new in the market & yet to prove itself. Moreover, if I enter the +11L range, will get the Innova eyes closed.

When is the Ecosport launch scheduled & what is XAlpha(not googling!)?

Aria is a strict no-no. Don't want to be stuck with a un-reliable product & a re-sale disaster. Also don't like the looks/appeal.

*Bump*

So I've selected the 2nd Duster variant (85PS).

I would be making a purchase in 2013 Jan or Feb. Another vehicle has an outside chance, Ertiga. I know these vehicles come from different classes but I do like the Ertiga for its versatality & off late it has been gaining ground on sales too.

Thread Title Edited.

Both are excellent choices

Duster has out classed the like of XUV and Scorpio put together in recent sales.

I am also contemplating a base variant (petrol) of either as my next car.Though , Ertiga has a definite edge in my case .

Yeah tell me about it! These are both new-gen. cars & pretty much define the segments they operate in.

Btw I was also considering Verna, Sunny, Dzire & Cruze. Reason for this is that all these fall in about the same budget. Did not want to leave anything out.

The Duster 2nd Variant & R-III VDI variants costs very similar, its upto you to choose Heart/Brain. Take thorough TD on both with your family, my recommendation is R-III.

For buying both you may need to wait for 3-6 months, mean while AMAZE will be out, so that should be the THE CHOICE for you.

I TD'ed both. About the Duster, I liked its free-revving motor while Ertiga runs out of breath pretty quickly.

On price & features front, Ertiga is the winner.

Also TD'ed Verna today. Nice car, NVH is surprisingly low, pick-up is exhilerating so much that on pushing the throttle you are pushed back into the seat.

@BornFree, if you want a SUVish type stance then it's Duster otherwise for me it's Ertiga.

So you can book either of them and within 2-3 months Ford Ecosport and Amaze will be out so you can then probably decide.

verna - the only diesel automatic sedan

looks stylish

extremely low , will surely scrape its belly if you seat 5

poor handling at high speeds ,very light steering , not worthy of highway drives

personally , city and rapid better than verna , having driven them all.Amaze is nearly six months away , duster and ertiga have long waiting periods , looking for something that comes by early with discounts aka vento and rapid now, so that i buy now and get cars registered in Jan 13

Duster for immediate moment & If you can wait then Ford EcoSport is the car worth to wait.

I feel these cars are Multi-funcitional SUV for modern world driving scene than old Gigantic ladder-frame SUVs, with offering hatchback like convenience of city manouverability & SUV like presence and comfort.

O.T: Oops ! My badluck that I joined this so much hot discussion too late. :(

As a matter of fact now Im pretty much in for the Eco-sport. As such I would have been making a purchase in the new Financial year itself, might as-well wait a little longer for the new kid on the block!

Aiding the swing in Eco-sports favour is some news about Duster trickling in. Of-course its not all that +ve, customers are facing issues with ICE, Water leakage into the cabin, outside oudour making way inside in re-circulation mode. Renault's service standards are also suspect.

Water leakage into the cabin, outside oudour making way inside in re-circulation mode. Renault's service standards are also suspect.

Water-leakage can't be the exact issue for it, but there're few factors which can make it happen:

-Firstly, it's having Single door-rubber beading only(very much like Toyota ETIOS, Ford Ikon & Skoda Octavia).

-Single beading traps the water in between & whenever the door is opened in that condition, the water sticking alongside the beading enters the cabin.

Secondly, Outside odour entering into the cabin in Re-circ mode, is might be due to faulty cable of that switch, as it's of mechanical type in duster, than Electrical motorized in many other cars, like Swift, DZire or Ertiga.

IMHO, the latter is more of Quality/manufacturing fitment issue than technical Niggle.

Still, I'm in the favour of Duster as finding a technical glitch in even a VW car is so easy as to find a White hair in college going student. :D

The water seepage issue is known to be from A.C. unit to underneath the carpets. Therefore not drying & emitting foul smell. Owners abroad have also reported similar issues. So its not a quality issue but a design flaw.

Cost-cutting is also evident in the vehicle. Some quirks like rear A.C. & power window pods need to be re-adjusted. Something Renualt should have worked upon till now on huge consumer feedback. Or are they waiting for a 2013 re-fresh!

Test drove the new Fiesta today. Prices of the Titaniu, model have been reduced & it now costs 9.63L. Plus add in free insurance, exchange & loyalty bonus & it looks like a good deal.

What I did not like about the car:

-Awwardly placed Power window switches on the drivers door.

-Huge Door handle fouls with right leg.

-Clautrophobic feel inside, the sense of space is pretty much absent.

-Narrow cabin.

-Steering finish/quality poor, scratches hands.

-Big central hump at the rear.

-Steering tries to self centre itself at even the slightest movement.

-Ride quality not great.

-Fords charasteristic handling missing.

-On the outside, the car looks smaller than it actually is!

-No telescopic steering.

-No fuel average display.

What I liked:

-Exterior looks, front & sides are sporty.

-Snug fit front seats.

-Good NVH

-Good pick up.

-Braking at par.

-Handles nicely around curves.

-Nicely built, heavy doors.

Overall I quite liked the car. Does it make for a good buy ?

Test drove the new Fiesta today. Prices of the Titaniu, model have been reduced & it now costs 9.63L. Plus add in free insurance, exchange & loyalty bonus & it looks like a good deal.

Overall I quite liked the car. Does it make for a good buy ?

If your hardcore interest is in it, then its okay.

Else, i'm sure its cons quoted by you can never make you to buy the car with full heart.

So, better is to wait for its upgrade, which is still unclear for its Indian launch

or Best option is to wait for EcoSport Mini SUV.

It is build on same platform with same drivetrain & similar dynamics with some of its shortcomings ironed out like of rear space, MID & ride quality.

service interval of innova and ertiga is 10000km and the charges including oil change is between rs 3200 and 4000. but the service interval of mahindras vehicles is 5000km , charges between rs. 5000 and 6000.. mahindra is infamous for their quality of service. you better wait for nissan's duster or innova( renault service is by tvs so we can expect the same service of mahindra)

i will say go with the duster i have the xuv its drive is not very confident it rolls a bit breaks are not that good though the car is packed with features like gps plenty of airbags cruise control and many more

my friend has a duster its a much more better car to drive and handel and is cheaper to

@Bornfree

Good this thread popped up again, where do you stand now ? Decided on a vehicle or still in the ZONE

@sreeraj

Totally with you on Mahindras service schedule and expenses , the only consulation is that atleast they are proactive in dispute resolution and the expense is not as much as that of other full blown SUVs from other brands.

@raj

i admire you, i found you to be the only one, owning a XUV coming out with its true character ,XUV is too gimicky and falters on many basic aspects while Duster is so much more than the XUV.

i will say go with the duster i have the xuv its drive is not very confident it rolls a bit breaks are not that good though the car is packed with features like gps plenty of airbags cruise control and many more

How's your XUV faring on reliability ?

service interval of innova and ertiga is 10000km and the charges including oil change is between rs 3200 and 4000. but the service interval of mahindras vehicles is 5000km , charges between rs. 5000 and 6000..

Both Innova & Ertiga are relatively easy on the pocket after one has purchased!

Good this thread popped up again, where do you stand now ? Decided on a vehicle or still in the ZONE

Well as of now, both Ertiga & Duster are on the back-burner. Im looking forward to Eco-Sport, Storme. Gurkha & Thar maybe!

How's your XUV faring on reliability ?

Both Innova & Ertiga are relatively easy on the pocket after one has purchased!

Well as of now, both Ertiga & Duster are on the back-burner. Im looking forward to Eco-Sport, Storme. Gurkha & Thar maybe!

its doing good till now but i can hear some queaks here and there what mahindra did was give indian customers features that they have not seen like for example the cruise control or the gps this made the indian customers too jittery they compromised on plastic quality the ride the same old issue of the breaks lets see how it fares after a servicing which is due in a week or two

@Bornfree

@sreeraj

Totally with you on Mahindras service schedule and expenses , the only consulation is that atleast they are proactive in dispute resolution and the expense is not as much as that of other full blown SUVs from other brands.

@raj

i admire you, i found you to be the only one, owning a XUV coming out with its true character ,XUV is too gimicky and falters on many basic aspects while Duster is so much more than the XUV.

xuv is a good car with a lot of features for its price but what is a car without good ride if you want to drive you,r car on the highways go for the duster and to be frank features like cruise control have no place in india IMO