Sign in to follow this  
Rockstar29

Feels good to be here

Hello Everyone!! This is my first post and what better than introducing myself.

I am Jayant from Bangalore. I was not an auto enthusiast at all till I was searching around on google for a new car about an year ago I came across this site and fell in love with it instantly. Reading official reviews and ownership reviews I got to know a lot from this site, thanks to all the petrolheads here.

I own a Bajaj Discover bike 135cc since 2007. It has served me well for the past 5 years and didn't have any major problems with it till now. Rock solid, good mileage, good looks.

I still don't own a car due to some personal commitments and planning to own one soon. I have shortlisted the following cars and would like to know more from the gurus in this forum which one should be the best. My commute will not be more than 500-600 per month so a petrol car is preferred. Mostly for weekend drives, not much luggage space is required. My choices are in the order

Honda Brio

Chevrolet Beat

Hyundai i10

Maruti Suzuki A-Star

Volkswagen Polo

Thanks,

Jayant

Hi there Rockstar

Welcome to the ACI forum. Its great to have you onboard. Thats a nice intro. Looks like you are graduating from a bike to a car now. Will surely help you out to decide on a car. Looking forward to interact with you on some interesting discussions on the forum.

Cya around

You have not mentioned your budget and any experience after Test Driving any of your choices above. However, out the list I would suggest you to go for Brio if more than 2 people will be on board or rear seat comfort is also needed, else go for A-star as it is fun to drive.

@Sstar, thanks for the reply. Here is my requirement:

It will mostly driven with 1-2 people on-board. Rear seat comfort is not required as it will be used occasionally. Since it will be my first car I would like something which is fun to drive and looks do matter to me.

As I said earlier my monthly running will not be more than 500-600 kms mostly weekend trips.

I will be keeping it for long term so resale will not be important. Although I have never driven an AT but I would like to know which one should I buy AT or MT? I have been hearing Honda is soon launching the AT version for Brio.

Hi @AMG1, yes I already went through that review.

Only thing I am concerned about is that I have never driven an automatic.

Here are some points which I need clarifications on:

1. people keep saying automatic transmisstion has lot of problems (low FE,pick up not good) , is that true?

2. MT gives you more control over the car.

3. AT cars are sluggish.

4. Reason for very less AT versions of all the cars in India.

Thanks,

Jayant

Hi Jayant

What you have said is what most Indian buyers in mind have thats why ATs never worked that well here. But all that has changed. New age ATs boxes are more advanced. They are not sluggish and are pretty FE as well. It all depends on your driving style. And if you see, most of the fastest cars in the world are automatics :)

Go for an AT. You wont regret it. AT sales have also gone up more than ever. Our traffic conditions are more so a reason to buy an AT