PrancingHorse

Brakes fail on a new Mahindra Quanto demo car. Cause of concern?

A couple of days ago a friend of mine casually walked into a Mahindra dealership here in Mumbai for a test drive of the Quanto. He was promptly offered the TD in a new demo car with the official stickering etc al. Few minutes into the test drive, when my friend tried to brake, there was no braking at all. The car wouldnt stop and my friend had to unfortunately ram into an auto rickshaw damaging both the auto and the Quanto. The brakes on the demo car had failed. Thankfully there was no injury to anyone. My friend lashed out at the dealership staff for this. They tried to cool him down and offered him the Rexton for a TD.

Brake failure on a new Quanto is not a good sign. It is a very serious issue. With Mahindra claiming over 5,000 bookings for the Quanto, this certainly cannot be ignored. The consequences would have been far worse.

A cause for concern? What do you guys think?

Braking on XUV has always been my cause of concern.

Surprisingly, brakes on my new Scorpio (ABS) are not that bad .

Heres my question , How could they have offered a TD of Rexton when it has been opened to the public only today, Atleast in delhi, after 3.00 today, may be they would have booked him for the TD.

Anyways , back to the point in case , such a big small vehicle without brakes is a killing machine for sure.Dont know why manufacturers today are becoming more gimicky and missing out on the basics.

Can we have more details please.

Did the engine halt at that time (just before or during the braking process) ?

Did the brakes jammed or failed ? Usually one or two more `pumpings' will revive the brakes.

Were they working when they have taken out the DemoCar out of the showroom ?

What about the indicators on the dashboard ? Usually in red and flashing.

Any alarms or flashings on the multi-display panel ? MDP gives out alarm sounds even for seat belts/doors ajar etc.,

Brake fluid level in the car ? Usually, if the DemoCar is brand new, the PDI needs to be done by the dealer before

it is given out for demo purposes. As part of the PDI, all fluids are to be checked thoroughly, as the car comes with

very low to minimum levels of fluids for transportation reasons.

Am I doing a post-martem thoroughly ? The car companies can take me as a trainer for their service/dealers.

What do you think ? Just kidding.

Guess pretty much expected from Mahindra & Tata! In the last about 2 decades I have been to countless Tata, MM delaerships for countless TD's, go there with high expectations maybe from ads or otherwise. Go there with a +ve frame of mind & open to the extent of buying the product. BUT somehow or the other come back disgusted.

Though both the manufacturers are trying hard but there's significant ground to cover in catching up with Global standards. QC has to be top notch.

About the experience shared above, a thing that comes to mind is that dealerships usually disconnect the trip meter of non TD vehicles or vehicles that are driven for long distances(from yard to dealerships, etc). It could be that during such a preperation the brakes were accidently dis-connected. A fatal error but could be due to agency neglect than a fault with the vehicle itself.

It's really terrible fact, If such things are happening with TD cars, then it's better to not to talk about consumers' cars!

It's true that indians always neglected QC, whether it's products, politics or pupils!

BTW, even though after brakes failed, you can control the car by drifting, Zig-zag driving & finally shifting to lower gears!

What a shame on the part of M&M. It is a well known fact that these Indian companies like Tata, M&M have low quality products than the global carmakers. Still they win the race because Indians prefer low price over quality. Moreover a vehicle can be a success just by its looks (as is evident with the XUV500, which otherwise has a substandard engine in its class and poor drivability).

Only few people will care about such an incident and forget about it in a matter of weeks. Unless stricter laws and standards are enforced by the government, nothing positive can be done!