rssh

Tata Nano: Unveiled at the Auto Expo

What was the BHP rating of the old non-carburetted Maruti 800 engine? Was it more than the nano?

Original 800 with dual barrel Mikuni developed 39bhp, 0.5bhp shy of my RD350 of same vintage. In 3rd gear, 90kmph was easily achievable.

Bye Bye auto-rickshaw welcome nano

Mumbai: Tata's Nano has caught the fancy of Mumbai's auto-rickshaw owners. They want the RTO to issue permits allowing the use of the Nano for public transport.

The people's car could be manna from the heavens for auto-rickshaw owners in Mumbai. They are asking the RTO to issue permits allowing use of the Nano as a public transport vehicle.

The main reason is that the Nano is priced in the same range as an auto-rickshaw

Finally' date=' Bangalore Development Authority has awaken and sent out an Ad to recruit Urban Planners and Traffic Administrators! Hope they want some Freelancers too, in which case i will send my application! after all they need some brains and stop constructing inefficient flyovers all around the city and calling it success!
[/quote']

First they should get rid of 'Bada Babus' and politicos thinking they are experts in transportation engineering and road design. In Kanpur we had a bunch of bureaucrats who put in dividers of a most unscientific design when the road was nto wide enough. In such narrow road they got the brilliant idea of trying to put in a green belt 2m+ wide in the middle of the divider.

Well Tata will then do more Nandigram to meet production.

How long will the myth of Nandigram and Singur being the same go on in this forum. I thought this was laid to rest. In a PM exchange with one of those who claimed that they were the same he accepted that he was wrong. Take a look on Google Earth and spot the two locations?

Also, there are enough politicos making a living out of opposing everything new, esp.if they did not think of it first. And NGO wanting everyone to go back the the stone age!

well i don't know how many of you know this but tata plans to manufacture only 25,000 nano's in a year...... well seeing the current no. of  "want to buy nano people list"..... expect some long waiting........

Don't need any experts' date=' I have been to the auto show and have seen the construction up close, with close to 500,000 miles of driving, participating in many races and on the road with 2 and 3 wheelers since 13, I guess I have a little idea on automobiles. This car is an illusionm, most at the auto show said they would be better off with a second hand Maruti, its a Tata Ace dressed up in an even weaker shell, sorry to say. It would be OK for the city but I would definitely not wish for it to be a road hog in the expressway. Lastly, we know how reliable the four cylinder Indica has been so far, do you realistically expect a two cylinder version of the same Indica engine to be lugged around fully loaded and survive? Lastly please be aware, its Rear engine vehicle, in the event of collision, there is virtually no metal mass protecting the occupants.[/quote']

Have been on the forum much due to work but ridiculous comments like this one infuriate me. Maybe if you had to carry your wife and kids on a bike you might think differently about the Nano's safety. What yould you do????  not take your family in a Nano just because of the worry frontal collision? or would you risk killing them on a two-wheeler

Obviously your 500,000 miles of driving hasn't told you that the Nano's engine is aluminiun block and 623cc. It is completely different from the Indica including the bore and stroke. Indica engine is cast iron block . It is very much a totally different engine and not the 'chopped' Indica two cylinder of Ace

Also, that everyone including the firodias know that the trax you love so much is piece of dung. only a jerk would be seen in one. I'm outta here!

well i don't know how many of you know this but tata plans to manufacture only 25' date='000 nano's in a year...... well seeing the current no. of  "want to buy nano people list"..... expect some long waiting........[/quote']

Adi is mistaken it's 250,000 to start with and production will be ramped up accordingly.

I would like to comment something about the

congestion .. Does Mumbai , Calcutta , Delhi and Chennai constitute the

whole of India ??? NO .. India is much bigger than those cities even

put together. I am from a small town . We do have cars around here , i

myself own an ikon .We dont even have signals in our town.. There are

nearby villages where we can rarely see cars , some own old ambys . But

those ppl can afford to buy the nano .. And let me tell u , if all the

family in the nearby villages of my area buy a Nano each , still there

will be no question of congestion in my area. So , the critics should

consider the whole of india and not just the metro cities as ppl in the

metro cities do look into the factors like A/c , powersteering ,

quality etc etc etc.. But ppl in the village areas , they just want a

mode of transport( they use tractors mostly or bullock carts ) for

their convenience and it should be affordable.. Thus the Nano fits

rightly for them ..

Any comments on this guys??

All kudos to the Tata's and their Nano. They have shaken up the world. I agree that Real India exists outside the metro's. However, one thing that the buyer esp. in rural areas may miss is a larger boot. But then good old Indian ingenuity or more appropriately Jugad should certainly come out with some innovative solutions. 

Don't need any experts' date=' I have been to the auto show and have seen the construction up close, with close to 500,000 miles of driving, participating in many races and on the road with 2 and 3 wheelers since 13, I guess I have a little idea on automobiles. This car is an illusionm, most at the auto show said they would be better off with a second hand Maruti, its a Tata Ace dressed up in an even weaker shell, sorry to say. It would be OK for the city but I would definitely not wish for it to be a road hog in the expressway. Lastly, we know how reliable the four cylinder Indica has been so far, do you realistically expect a two cylinder version of the same Indica engine to be lugged around fully loaded and survive? Lastly please be aware, its Rear engine vehicle, in the event of collision, there is virtually no metal mass protecting the occupants.[/quote']

Have been on the forum much due to work but ridiculous comments like this one infuriate me. Maybe if you had to carry your wife and kids on a bike you might think differently about the Nano's safety. What yould you do????  not take your family in a Nano just because of the worry frontal collision? or would you risk killing them on a two-wheeler

Obviously your 500,000 miles of driving hasn't told you that the Nano's engine is aluminiun block and 623cc. It is completely different from the Indica including the bore and stroke. Indica engine is cast iron block . It is very much a totally different engine and not the 'chopped' Indica two cylinder of Ace

Also, that everyone including the firodias know that the trax you love so much is piece of dung. only a jerk would be seen in one. I'm outta here!

a very good point raised buddy...    

smiley32.gif

the nano is a vehicle for those with a tight budget and we should understand that.... so no huge expectations should be kept with it in terms of safety, performance or features... after all, how much can a manufacturer give you in this money??

All said and done the Tata Nano is much more safe than a scooter/ motorbike/ autorickshaw or anything Indian on 2 or 3 wheels.And you will also see it on our highways much like you see autorickshaws, m80's, Hero Hondas, Bajaj Supers and other vehicles of this kind moving alongwith the trucks,buses, Mercedes Benz's, Scorpios and Marutis . One cannot expect a rural or an urban family of four or five, going out on  their Hero Honda or m 80 or Rajdoot that they own, to attend to some function in another village or town thats not far from the place where they live. If they own the Nano they'll prefer  it.

The whole point is that people with tight budget can buy second hand car easily and be more safe but Nano will give better economy so its for new car feel and FE.