praful_tripathy

Pulsar 220 : Test Ride Report

Hi Guys, today I called my dealer that I would be coming over to cancel my booking. He said come over, we will give you a test ride of the bike!! I was like whoa!!! Test ride.....got on my Dio and rushed to the dealer...

All through out the way I was thinking whether to have a twist your wrist kindda test ride or just ride it sanely so that I dont do much harm to the bike!

Finally I arrive at the showroom and they have a Black 220 ready for test ride! I switch it one and the odo reading show 85 Kmseek.gif! I decided then that no second though, the bike is already been screwed around with, I will also test rape it biggrin.gif

Switch on the engine, put in that first gear and the roar of the engine biggrin.gif there are no words to describe it man....what a roar...my friend who was sitting behind me let out a shriek of excitement on hearing the Roar! Man everyone one was looking at us....then within 500 mtr there was the towns ring road...empty stretches of road with a few cows and dogs here and there(no doubt dangerous)...

At the beginning I slot back to first gear and let the clutch go.....one word....the pull...it has that Karizma pull!!! FANTASTIC!!! It reached 80 just like that.....100 took some amount of time though...I guess coz the bike must have been raped for the past 85 kms...and running period is also not complete for the bike! Anyways...it was mind blowing! It did not at all feel like a pulsar...the gear box was great...the stability was AWESOME...I did a bit of hard braking...the bike did not deviate out of line even once!

After that me and my buddy did a few solo runs....he hit 120 and I managed only 115(my excuse: hes 18 kgs lighter than me tongue.gif)

Popped a few small wheelies....but the bike was a maniac while I was riding it solo!

Here are a few thing that I would like to specifically point out!

- The bike has brilliant handling...despite its weight it was really flickable! And the inline stability at high speeds is commendable. Really good improvement in this department over the previous pulsar!

- The throttle response is amazing, the first gear isnt as repsonsive as the karizma, means in a traffic signal drag with equally matched riders...the Karizma will take the initial jump ahead. But clutch action and revved properly the 220 will keep up with the Karizma in first gear....

- I expected a bit more performance....I was a tad dissapointed! But maybe a properly run-in bike after 2.5 K Kms might be what the doctor ordered!!!

- Those who expected the rear disks to have a bite like the front disk, theyll be dissapointed for sure...but infact both the brakes do the job brilliantly!

- The fuel pump priming noise should have been smoother! Kindda feels like something in the bike has gone awry!

- The exhaust note is toooooooooo GOOD!

- The rear disk caliper being open looks scary!

- The bike would be great for short long distance trips, like within 200 kms...after that youll have to reverse extension exercise to keep that back pain at bay!

- There are absolutely no vibes from the handlebar/foot pegs/tank at speeds in excess of 100! But the fairing is a vibey lil thing...some amount of rubber mounting will have to done to reduce the vibes.

- The rear wheel was quite free, and there was no screeching noise from it!

- The rear grab rails suck! If youre a pillion and the rider is ripping the bike like crazy...then its gonna be a really scary ride for you...coz youve got nothing to hold on to...those puny grab rails dont inspire one bit of confidence!

- My knees dont touch the fairing! Even if I slide totally ahead in the seat! Yes!!!

PS: PHew..thats a lot of typing...please ignore the typos!

Praful thats a great review. Good to see that the gearbox is sorted, the earlier pulsars were boxes full of false nuetrals. You didnt get any of that did you?

Also how was the clutch compared the Karizma. I really love the action on the Karizma clutch. Really smooth and progressive.

FRG

>Hear< this to listen to the P220s sound...I did this in a hurry in my test ride but you get what you want.

As far the gear box slipping issue, thats like a one off thing sometimes people are complaining of such issues. I personally dint face any such prob during my test ride! Infact I will go ahead and make a statement that the P220 gear box is light years ahead the previous Pulsar gearboxes. Infact after you change over to a fully synthetic oil like Motul the gear shift improve even more!!

Oh yeah...the clutch is not as progressive as the Karizma! BAL still has to learn a few lessons from Honda! But its still good no doubt!

Youre not getting me.

BAL quality is not as consistent as Honda, so there was a batch of 220s (most probably the third batch in pune and first batch in Delhi) which had gear slippage issues. No false neutrals. But in the past 2 months or so the bikes released have not reported any gear slippage issues.

BALs quality standards are still no where near that of Honda, but I would like to point out again that the quality (overall) of BAL bikes has gone several notches higher compared to their previous years!

The fork failure issue has been glorified too much. It was a case only with Pulsar 200, and that too a single batch had the defective fork. Infact, even today there are 200s from that batch of bikes which havent got their forks replaced. Talking about fork replacement, BAL themselves called up people and got their bikes forks changed free of cost. AFAIK, there have never been any accidents due to the broken forks! Now if certain people werent called in fork replacement, it would be the dealers fault and not BALs. BAL did what is right!

I have interacted with a few Pulsar 220 owners.

What is really heartning to known is that Bajaj is really serious in delivering the best service to the Pulsar 200 and Pulsar 220 owners coutesy their Probiking Showrooms and Service Centers.

If there have been any issues with the Pulsar 200 and the Pulsar 220s, they have been adressed promptly. Even replacing the defective parts for Free if required.

If there have been any issues with the Pulsar 200 and the Pulsar 220s, they have been adressed promptly. Even replacing the defective parts for Free if required.

Correct me if I am wrong but is that not what manufacturers are supposed to do why look at it as something great and extraordinary
FuelRunGod2007-09-10 13:08:46

Correct me if I am wrong but is that not what manufacturers are supposed to do why look at it as something great and extraordinary

Well, it certainly isnt great or extraordinary..  

Actually considering that fact that the Pulsar 220 costs around 85-90K, there shouldnt have been any issues with it.

Hello guys, I read a lot of reviews about the Pulsar 220 and now the news doing round of an upgrade is on, so i took a test drive recently and found that the bike is very good, may be there are problems with it and i am hoping to buy the upgrade version. So i need all of your opinions about my decision to buy the bike...