CarCrazyASTL

Mitsubishi discontinues Pajero SFX and Lancer

It's really a sad news for all auto enthusiasts & car lovers, Lanser (Diesel) & Pajaro SFX (old one); which ruled our heart for decades; are no more available in Indian Market!

The Pajero SFX can still put some 21st century off roaders to shame. The Pajero SFX commands a dedicated fan following amongst SUV enthusiasts and off roaders due to its tough build quality and bomb proof reliability and the Lancer brand was almost synonymous with the street racing circuit. The Lancer Diesel, the sedan was a well built, reliable and frugal C-segment car model, which like the Pajero SFX also was past its prime years, especially in a market where a brand new crop of C-segment cars that offer much better looks and performance operate. Given the minuscule sales of the Lancer diesel and for that matter even the Cedia sedan, it was just a matter of time before Mitsubishi had to stop producing this car.

However, for reasons such as outdated design, stoneage technology and dwindling sales figures, Mitsubishi India has finally put both iconic cars to rest! But their is a good thing that Lanser, majorly known for it's petrol version & It's still availaible; but due to extremely poor sell, it may be pulled out of the market very soon & Like the Lancer Diesel, the Cedia too is a abysmal seller with monthly sales struggling to even touch the double digit mark. Given that the Cedia is available only with a 2 liter petrol engine, its brilliant handling dynamics go often unnoticed as the car is not even on the C-Segment car buyer’s radar. Mitsubishi would do well to bring in a modern day turbo diesel motor into the Cedia’s engine bay, if it ever intends to turn around its sagging fortunes in the Indian car market. Otherwise, expect the Cedia to go the same way as the Lancer.

While the Pajero SFX has received a worthy successor, unfortunately the Lancer will not be replaced with the next generation model. The Mitsubishi Cedia will continue to be the flagship for the brand in India.

Mitsubishi-Pajero-2.8-SFX-image.jpg2012-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Diesel-Sedan.jpg

source : www.indiancarsbikes.in

Edited by CarCrazyASTL

Finally the Lancer goes off the shelves. Sadly, no replacement for it from Mitsubishi stable.

I really dont understand why is Mitsu stopping the Pajero SFX. If they reduce the price, it will still sell and give good competition to the other home-grown MUV/SUVs.

Though the Lancer was a great car in its hay days, its now very outdated. Good Move by Mitsubishi. However I agree with AMG regarding the Pajero SFX. It still is a pedigree off roader and if prices can be slashed to between 17 to 18 lakhs, it can still sell well. Mitsubishi really needs to thinks over its products and strategy if it has to survive here any longer. Right now it seems grim.

They were selling the Lancer all this while? Wow, I didn't even notice and I'm sure no one in the market for a diesel midsize saloon did either. ;)

The Pajero's departure is really sad news. While I don't usually like the idea of previous generation models lingering on in developing markets like ours (I feel like we're being fed table scraps and leftovers), the Pajero was a solid product. If they stripped it of all its frills and sold it at Rs 10-14 lakh, I'd probably buy one.

Mitsubishi, like GM, seems to have no idea what our market is like, and personally I think they should just bow out quietly while they still have some brand dignity. That said, a friend of mine just bought a Montero, and he loves it.

Now since the Lancer is not on sale, Mitsubishi should re-position the Cedia so that it can compete well with the Sunny/Scala/Vento segment. Too bad that they stopped selling the Pajero SFX. If they price it in the band of Rs 14-17 lakh, it still has guts to give a tough fight to the newer SUV/MUVs.