AshTheDash

Hatch to SUV....A big step...

Hello,

I have been driving a i10 for the last 3 1/2 yrs and had a hatch before that for 3 yrs as well. Now I guess its time for me to take the leap, move to a SUV and this time not selling the current hatch for small errands and city use.

Apart from driving a Innova a few hundred kms on several trips, I have no experience of driving a hatch and so when i decided to buy one for our small family I though it was best to ask the experts for advise.

My budget is in the range of 22-25L and I am looking for something with good interiors, a decent list of gadgets and features. I wont be off roading, so I am not looking for a monster, but good/large interiors would be of help.

I wont be loading 7 people always when we travel, but a good 3rd row will help for extra space and stuff to carry.

I would like to buy in around Mar/April '13 on one of the festive ocassions. No other stringent requirements, so please help me decide what options should i start looking at, cos the list of available SUVs in the market is just confusing the hell out of me.

I am keen to hear from one and all..and if you also went through a shortlisting & decision cycle to shortlist your SUV, then please share that, so it may b just help me align my thoughts as well.

I appreciate the help ..all fellow car enthusiasts and experts.

Ash

Thats a huge jump

Did a thought of a premium luxury sedan never cross your mind ?

Fortuners have already now flooded the streets so think about the price revised New Pajero or wait for newer launches like the Santa Fe and CRV

Hello,

I have been driving a i10 for the last 3 1/2 yrs and had a hatch before that for 3 yrs as well. Now I guess its time for me to take the leap, move to a SUV and this time not selling the current hatch for small errands and city use.

Apart from driving a Innova a few hundred kms on several trips, I have no experience of driving a hatch and so when i decided to buy one for our small family I though it was best to ask the experts for advise.

My budget is in the range of 22-25L and I am looking for something with good interiors, a decent list of gadgets and features. I wont be off roading, so I am not looking for a monster, but good/large interiors would be of help.

I wont be loading 7 people always when we travel, but a good 3rd row will help for extra space and stuff to carry.

I would like to buy in around Mar/April '13 on one of the festive ocassions. No other stringent requirements, so please help me decide what options should i start looking at, cos the list of available SUVs in the market is just confusing the hell out of me.

I am keen to hear from one and all..and if you also went through a shortlisting & decision cycle to shortlist your SUV, then please share that, so it may b just help me align my thoughts as well.

I appreciate the help ..all fellow car enthusiasts and experts.

Ash

Well, its a big decision and a difficult one, since you were driving a hatch only. Your budget is quite good, you can get a lot of vehicles in that price area. Have you shorlisted any SUV's or you can buy any good one regardless of the Brand Image?

See You have Renault Koleos and Toyota Fortuner in the diesel segment, and you have Honda CR-V and Mitsubishi Outlander in your budget?

Do let us know about your selections. :)

Mitsubishi Pajaro (New) & Ford Endeavour are 2 best suvs in this class! My personal favourite is Ford Endeavour as it got Classic musclesular & butch looks suits to it's overall performance & built quality; where mistsubishi outlaner is also a modern looking cute, but very strong & reliable machine! I'll strongly suggest you to not to go for fortuner, as it's too bulky outside & too dull inside! (very similar to innova) It's not that refined & built quality is not upto the mark!

If your driving is going to be less (<1000 Km per month) & as you mentioned the last row isn't nessesary for you, Mitsubishi outlander is also a great product & is nearly 2.5 lakhs cheaper & has tonns of discounts & offers on it!

@Ash, below are some of the suggestions for a SUV in 22-25 lacs range.

To me all of these are good in their own way so checking them personally and doing a TD should help in selecting.

Toyota Fortuner - though quite common in streets now but still a very competent package and one that will give you best hassle free ownership experience.

Mitsubishi New Pajero - quite competent in dynamics, but a little pricey for what it offers in features. but i think Mitsubishi has done

a price reduction recently (not sure)

Hyundai Santa Fe - has the best interiors, feature list, comfort except for the looks which are subjective by nature

Mahindra Rexton - a competent product at a very good price point. But has a big question mark as brand is unknown and the quality of A.S.S.

Mitsubishi Outlander - a very competent product and has almost everything sorted out except that there is no diesel option.

Ford Endeavour - good SUV at it's price point but it's quite dated now. A new version might come out at end of 2013 end or later.

After driving small cars for 6 or 7 years on our roads, it is but natural for anyone (who can

afford to buy and maintain) to go in for a SUV. Good decision to start with.

Of the options available, I suggest Fortuner. For a couple of solid reasons.

One, it is always better to go in for a proven and sold-in-good-numbers product, which,

always, will ensure availability of spares and service at all times. This is very very

important as some of the niche-products are difficult to maintain, as the spares are

difficult to get (even by their own dealers) and are very costly. For this reason

alone, going in for a Fortuner is a prudent decision. I know a couple of my friends

who find it difficult to get their Pajero/Endeavour serviced, either it is costly or the

service is (relatively) delayed. Specially, when you get stuck in god-damn places,

(you do not know where you will take your car in the next 5 to 10 years). Toyota

relatively speaking, has more service points than many others. That will certainly

help you in avoiding unpleant situations on long trips. One such delayed trip/

experience will spoil the entire ownership happyness for you and your family.

Two, when you do not intend to do off-roading, why spend on a vehicle which is primarily

designed for off-roading ? So, save some good money and spend it on maintaining the

existing i10 and in undertaking long (to very long) trips in the new SUV.

My personal opinion (unfortunately, I can not change it) is that the so-called gadgets,

have got a limited appeal value, for a limited period of time, with a limited extent of real use.

Just take a few minutes and list out all those bells and whistles which you really need.

Most of the vendors/cars do tick all the checkboxes. So, why bother about all those

extra, isoteric and useless (or to be specific, less useful) features which anyway you

do not need nor are they of much use.

Kindly consider all these aspects and then decide. All the best.

With the sort of budget you have, any car you decide would be an excellent car in it's

own way.

Hi Ash

Thats quite a dilemma you have there but let me tell that by the time you decide to buy there would definitely be some more options out there.

Though the Fortuner is a safe bet considering reliability and the works, may I ask you to look at the Captiva as well? It does most things right and has a new engine now as well. Plus the option of AT in its AWD avtaar. Its quite nice to drive too and has oodles of power.

The more choices we give you the more confused you will get :)

Happy shopping

Hi Ash,

Your choice of having a bigger car is well appreciated.

In the budget you have mentioned Toyota Fortuner , Renault Koleos and the Chevy Captiva fits in so cool. Out of these Koleos keeps up the mark with descent features, build quality and no -nonsense styling. But the only problem that comes is that the Koleos and Captiva are 5-seaters.

Now the choice is yours,I firmly advise you to have test drive the cars of your choice so as to have a better view.

All the best Ash.

Hi

Though you have a budget of 22-25 lacs, i still advise you to buy XUV5OO. Its hot and muscular. Have 6 airbags/ABS for safety and all tits and bits one want from a luxury SUV with a capasity to sit seven ocassionally. You can save 6-8 lacs,an amount enough to gift a hot hatch(i.e. Polo )to your loved once.

Edited by ashikawa

well, Fortuner is a good choice in that segment but since you eon't be going off-road, I don't suggest that. If a premium city suv is what you want then Htundai Santa Fe is anyway the best choice. It has a huge list of features, has a tremendously powerful engine of 2.2 l producing 194 ps of max. power, that's easily the best in the segment. Also the safety is good and as You already own a Hyundai the dealer may be friendly with you to get you good deals and a worry free maintenance. Also it's more likely to turn heads as I don't think its all that too common now like an Endy or Fortuner. it is purely a soft roader so handling rough roads won't be a problem. i don;'t suggest u to get any petrol car today. Ssangyong Rexton is coming but I am not so sure about the reliability of that. Then if you don't need a 7 seater you can also go for Renault Koleos or Nissan X-trail. But considering all sides, I think you stop thinking and get a top-specced Hyundai Santa Fe