Max No.of Passangers - 5

most of the time -2

Boot space Importance - ______ Medium

Usage by - __________________normal

Passenger cmfort/space: Prime importance

Ownership - Mumbai City

Safety - Medium

Prime requirement - Looks>Passenger Comfort>Ride>Handling>

Hi Guys. This is my first post on this forum. I am planning to buy a premium hatchback within a budget of 6 to 7.5 lac (Flexible as I havent decided on diesel or petrol).

I have read almost all reviews on these cars and pretty know the merits and demeits of both.

The space (or the lack of it) on the swift was a big downer. My height is 5 ft 11 in. I found it difficult to sit on the steering seat.It looked cramped. Hardly any leg space.

I would have gone for i20 blindly but these two things are holding me.

1. The underpowered petrol engine. Have read in almost all reviews that the engine is underpowered. My question is, is it so underpowered that it should prevent me from buying it? I am 30 but havent driven around a lot over the years as we have an Innova and usually my dad drives it. This car is a pleasure to drive. I do reach maximum speeds of 130-140 kph. Dont ever recall going above these speeds. But I do like speeing up on highways.

Should I consider going for a diesel? the salesperson said that If i dont used diesel car on a regular basis the maintainence cost rises. Is it true? And also How much mileage would I get in petrol version?

2. The ride quality. Most of the reviews said that it really gets bumpy at high speeds and feel like we are riding a boat. It is that bad?

Please help.

@chirag22ster: Considering the monthly running and the passenger comfort needs, I would suggest that you should go taller car which can give you good driving posture and cabin room as well.

On this parameter, in my opinion, I20 is not the one you should pick, I would go for Swift petrol OR if you dont want to wait then Ritz petrol is also a very good option.

Hello chirag22ster,

Considering your average monthly running(which may increase later on), I would suggest you to go with the petrol car or if you think that your monthly running will increase too much in the nearby future, then you should go for diesel.

Maintenance of diesel cars are a little bit high than petrol cars & you are also shelling out 1-1.5 lac extra for the diesel engines.

In petrol, go for Ertiga(fits right according to your height and comfort). It has a newly develop 1.4 litre petrol engine which churns out 95 PS of power. You can get the Lxi version in this budget.

OR

If you want a smaller car, then gor for Brio or Jazz. Both share the same engines.

In Diesel, you can get the new Chevy Sail-Uva or the Ford Figo.

Sail Uva has good interiors and you can get the top model with ABS within your budget.

Etios Liva can also lie down in your budget but the thing is your perception about that car. I mean if you like it you can go for the famous diesel engine of the toyota whom you can trust(Coz you have Innova in your family).

Happy Driving :):D

Thanks Sumeet. I tried sitting in i20 drivers seat and found it pretty comfortable. My only concern regarding the i20 petrol are the two points I mentioned above.

I tried the Swift and found it too congested.

Ritz is a total no no for me because of its looks.

Thanks Sumeet. I tried sitting in i20 drivers seat and found it pretty comfortable. My only concern regarding the i20 petrol are the two points I mentioned above.

I tried the Swift and found it too congested.

Ritz is a total no no for me because of its looks.

i20 is a good option. If you are not thinking of racing with this, then your concern should not be "underpowered".

As you mentioned, most of the time you would be having 2 passengers in your car, so this car fits you.

Don't go with the swift, its very high in price and high waiting list as compared to other cars in the same segment.

Etios Liva gained growth in the mid, but after that competition got really hard. It still has its place in the market with the sportivo model and the Toyots's famous D4D engine.

The center console and so-so interiors were the main points that affected the sales of Liva, though it looks good.

I would definitely advise you to take a test drive of all the cars that you have shortlisted in your mind before taking any final decision. Online reports can be contradictory and confusing.

Happy Driving :):D

look, there is nothing to worry about the petrol i20 1.2. Ya, it is a little slow in its segment but you won't be missing the things like speeding up and all. If your run is less than 1000km a month, better you go for petrol. Also, push the dealer for discounts on petrol models. Since you have a flexible budget I suggest you go for the 1.4 Gamma petrol automatic i20, ya 4-speed isn't up to the job but the 100 bhp engine sounds well when pushed. Also that is top end Asta means there are loads of features that you will enjoy. Ride is smooth in city but too much of sporty driving on the highway can bounce it a bit, but nothing to worry for that. Then again, if you find the i20 asta 1.4 expensive then go for Swift ZXI, that's simply best petrol hatch in the segment. But rear seats are not all that spacious. You can also go in for the Punto 90hp that comes with all bells and whistles. Looks wise i20 is my choice and it has a premium feel to it too. U-VA Sail from Chevrolet is a good choice too in diesel.

Whats your Budget - INR 6 TO 7.5 lac

Kms driven monthly - 600-700kms

Bodyshell - Hatch

City/Highway split - both equal

Max No.of Passangers - 5

most of the time -2

Ownership - Mumbai City

Safety - Medium

looking at above description anone will suggest you I20 petrol, but it's true that it is'nt that responsive & it do look good, personally I didn't like it's looks much as now-a-days they have started implementing same design in every segment & it is'nt cool to sail in tsunami od fluidic with another fluidic! So according to me VW Polo petrol is the another coolest thing on road & is very classy! It has more than enough power as per your quoted requirement & is extremely refined & comofrtable too! So check it out!

Hi,

My suggestion would be to go for Maruti Swift and not Hyundai I20 due to the following reasons:

Engine:

Swift (1.2L 87bhp K-series) petrol is extremely good, refined, responsive and reliable. Note that Hyundai's 1.2L Kappa - 84bhp / 1.4L Kappa - 100bhp are not bad engines, but they are not as responsive as Maruti Swift's K-series engine. Show the i20 petrol any high-stress situation (e.g. highway overtaking) and the result would be disappointing performance.

Maintenance:

Maruti vs. Hyundai in terms of maintenance do not differ too much. Both companies are good and you will not face any issues in the servicing / maintaining your car. Though, personally I would prefer Maruti over Hyundai anyday.

Budget / Price:

Hyundai I20 will be slightly more expensive than Maruti Swift Lxi, Vxi, Zxi. And 1.4L would be even more expensive than 1.2L. So, if you want to save some money and invest that in some accessories, than Swift will make sense.

Ride Quality:

Swift's ride is much smoother at high speeds compared to I20. Though I20 is decent for city-condition driving, but at high speeds on highway the car's light steering feels vague, and is extremely sensitive at high speed. If you are a car enthusiast, you might be dissapointed with I20 at higher speeds as the engine is slow to respond. While the suspension suits mass market tastes, it is not properly tuned, as is the case with most of Hyundai cars. Hence, my pick will be Swift.

Features:

Like any other Hyundai car, I20 too is a features loaded car. Its like "button-for-everything" kind of a feeling when you enter a Hyundai car. :P Dont want to get into details of each and every feature, but Hyundai wins hands down when it comes to features / accessorizing the car.

Exterior / Interior looks:

Again, this is a personal choice, however Hyundai I20 wins in terms of the way it looks over Swift, however, I liked the old I20 much better than the new-fluidic version. They didn't need to do anything to enhance the looks. Even the plastics used in I20 is much better than Swift. So, I20 wins in this department.

Fuel Efficiency:

Swift anyday. Hyundai, can't match Maruti in this department. My friend has I20 petrol which gives a mileage of 9-10kmpl in city and 12-14kmpl on highways. Whereas, Swift will give you 12-13kmpl in city and 15-16kmpl on highways. So, Swift wins in this hands down.

Final answer: Maruti Swift wins!!!

Thank you everyone. I have almost decided on i20 Magna diesel. Though I have to test drive both petrol and diesel cars. Still a long way to go as I ma planning to buy in March.

One query guys. Does i20 Magna diesel or petrol have rear parkin sensors and parking assist ? Most of the website say yes, but when I asked the salesperson, he said its available only in higher models.

@chirag:

After reading the query, undoubtedly Hyundai i20 VTVT Petrol seems to be the best option for you, but its really underpowered for Spirited driving. But if the i20 Petrol is underpowered, so the others are except

Maruti Swift, Ritz & Honda Jazz.

So, shortlist from either of three above or have a Test Drive of Hyundai i20 Petrol, if it satisfies then go for it.

Else as someone suggested here to wait for Honda Brio 1.2 AMAZE petrol sedan, it's also a good option.

Think about diesel car, only if you drive daily or drive atleast 800-1000km/month, else petrol car will do the job fine.

Whats your Budget - INR 6 TO 7.5 lac

Kms driven monthly - 600-700kms

Bodyshell - Hatch

City/Highway split - both equal

Max No.of Passangers - 5

most of the time -2

Ownership - Mumbai City

Safety - Medium

When you say 2 most of the time, nothing to beat Swift D, and Amaze, definitely worth waiting but will overshoot your budget by couple of lacks.

Amaze will score over Swift D on the following,

Honda's reliabiity

Cheap to maintain(my opinion and I own a Swift P)

More FE

More powerful

Spacious rear seats

More boot space

Premium interiors

Roomier cabin

you will definitely like the feature rich i20 more than the swift

Go for the top most varaint and you will get those new LED FOG LAMP INSERTS and the REVERSE CAM, i personally liked these features on it.

Mind it, Swift is still the better handler of the two.

hi,

I have just bought a Swift and the ownership review is following shortly.

As of now, I can tell you that since your highway running is equal to the city drive you do, it would be highly recommended that you go in for something more safe like European cars.

Your running is almost entering diesel buying segment and as you said that it can increase in future, so go in for that.

You could look at VW Polo, Punto or Fabia. Maruti and Hyundai are fine, but when you do high speed driving there is nothing that comes even close to the German engineering. I have read it and felt it a thousand times.

Feel free to take a test drive and then take a call.

I think i20 is better than swift. Coze i20 is spacious, comfy, Features are endless, Ride comfort etc.. But if u r an enthusiast than go for the swift bcoze its VVT engine is much better than the i20's VTVT engine. So, Go for the i20 (IMO). Otherwise choose between Volkswagen's Polo or Honda Brio. OR yeah i20 CRDI is unbeatable. if u want a engine like the swift 1.2 then CRDI motor of i20 is great rev happy. :-) :-)

Thank you everyone. I have almost decided on i20 Magna diesel. Though I have to test drive both petrol and diesel cars. Still a long way to go as I ma planning to buy in March.

I think diesel will only make sense if your monthly run is 1000 KM else you should stick to petrol version. While picking a diesel also consider the de-regularisation of diesel by Govt of India recently. This will not make diesel as cheap fuel for so long.

So do consider it before spending.

One query guys. Does i20 Magna diesel or petrol have rear parkin sensors and parking assist ? Most of the website say yes, but when I asked the salesperson, he said its available only in higher models.

I think you should look at the website here: http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroom/Flash/SRFSPEC/DF_IN_SR_BJ_100311210150.html

If it is mentioned here then you can claim otherwise, it has to be a feature on premium.