xavier.11

Help me choose features!

Which of the following features would you choose in a Rs 6-8 lakhs car?

1. Rain sensing wipers

2. Daytime running headlamps

3. Auto-folding Outside Rear View Mirrors (ORVMs)

4. Floor mounted rear AC

5. Passive keyless entry & Push button start

6. Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

Hello xavier,

I would definitely go for Rain sensing wipers as they are useful (not for some), Floor mounted rear AC(helps in overall cooling), Passive Keyless entry &push button start (easy for us), and Daytime running headlamps(looks cool ( \m/ )

ESC is optional (depends on individual driving style), Auto Folding ORVM (not a necessity) - its fine if you are ok to spend a bit more

Irrespective of the cost of a car, I would like to have only two out of the options given.

I will choose only keyless entry and ESC. All the others are either of not much use or

are more of a snobbish value. I personally feel that pushing a button to start a car will

rob the real fun of starting a car manually. I always fail to understand what is the real

purpose of rain sensing wipers ? Are they meant for those who sleep while driving ?

Funny inventions. So is the case of daytime running lights. Why do we need such

stuff in India, where there is ample light always during the daytime unlike in some

European and/or North American places where you need to have lights on even

during the daytime. Why are decent car buyers made to compete with long-distance

lorry drivers (they usually keep on the headlights of lorries while driving for long

distances, so that the batteries does not get over charged and over heated).

One feature which I always wanted in a car is `auto rolling up of all windows'. Why

don't the manufacturers give this feature ? You have auto locking system,

power windows and remote locking. But, why not `auto rolling up of all windows'

and then lock the car, all with one button on a remote key ? It's painful to manually

roll up all the windows. And, this feature is the one which is a must for all of us.

I agree with you on keyless entry, push button start and 'auto roll-up of all windows at one go'.

However, daytime running headlamps, I feel look good despite having less of functional value. I also feel it's become a craze now in cars of this price range because it offers you some exclusivity (not many cars have this yet) and one can look upto an Audi/BMW/MB feel! Or, may be I am wrong :)

@xavier.11

1. Rain sensing wipers - Would be good to have feature if if comes along

2. Daytime running headlamps - No functional value, they are just meant to show off/ looks wise.

3. Auto-folding Outside Rear View Mirrors (ORVMs) - this featuer you may or may not get depending upon brand. However, it is a good feature as many times people leave there car with OVRMs un-folded which results in lose/damage of OVRM by other vehicle hitting them.

4. Floor mounted rear AC - not sure what you are trying to say here. But if this is rear AC vent then it is a needed feature specially if buyer comes from north India.

5. Passive keyless entry & Push button start - Keyless entry now days comes with even smaller/less expensive cars compared to this price bracket. So I am sure no worries here, however, push button start is not userfull at all.

6. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) - A must to have feauture.

PEPS for me please !

I say this coz the CRUZE has spoilt me with this feature my BM has Passive start mut no Passive Entry & it gets irritating if you get used to "not" taking out key from pocket

Tech-market is growing with awsome speed! Just before a year or two Samsung Galaxy S2 was a huge hit due to it's dual-core processor & Super-AMOLED; now even my new Micromax A90S coasts quater of it has all of it! & just after a weak or two you doesn't really care for it! For ex. how many Iphone users regularly use siri, though it's very intresting & usefull function! Similarly, all this funky gadgetry becomes meaningless & only engine's & cabin's quality matters to you! but this doesn't mean to hang out with your old Nokia 3310; some features like internet connectivity, Music Player & Document editor are must & that's why all sensible business people has no non-sence Blackberry! So, you should go for a great built vehicle with Airbags, ABS, EBD, ESC & floor mounted rear ac! a funky tochscreen enebled enfotainment system or day-time running LED lights doesn't really count!

I say this coz the CRUZE has spoilt me with this feature my BM has Passive start mut no Passive Entry & it gets irritating if you get used to "not" taking out key from pocket

So how desirable is Push Start? As rameshbabu said earlier, doesn't it take away the fun of starting your car?

So, you should go for a great built vehicle with Airbags, ABS, EBD, ESC & floor mounted rear ac! a funky tochscreen enebled enfotainment system or day-time running LED lights doesn't really count!

However, I feel that such features do make a big impact in final purchase decisions. People often refer to feature-rich i20 and Beat!

However, I feel that such features do make a big impact in final purchase decisions. People often refer to feature-rich i20 and Beat!

Well, evryone has his own view & I do undrstand that approch & peoples love to show-off, this features in-front of their friends n' family!

Well, evryone has his own view & I do undrstand that approch & peoples love to show-off, this features in-front of their friends n' family!

Some people do show off!

I would like to add one more question for discussion. When we say a feature rich car in the price range of 6-8 lakhs(ex showroom), which all come to your mind?

For me it's just i20!

What do others have to say :)

well it is an important features (available in SUVs). It helps to keep the car in right position by analysing the speed, angle, tyre traction etc.

Thanks Sstar! Are ESC, Traction Control really essential in an urban vehicle which is occasionally used for roadtrips?

Are ESC, Traction Control really essential in an urban vehicle which is occasionally used for roadtrips?

It's like taking an insurance cover. You hope and wish that you never ever need to make a claim. But,

in the event of unexpected accident, you are prepared to face the loss, either to reduce or eliminate it

completely. Even one of those `occassional' trips (as you said yourself) can be very crucial and critical.

So, if you have the money, take these. Or, take the chance. Both ways, you are comfortable depending

upon the way you look at it. I never believed in taking a life insurance cover but a number of my fellow

colleagues in the Bank have life insurance covers running fat monthly premium payments. Is it a must to

have ? Probably due to our financial position, I never thought it is necessary. Neither my wife. But, it is

a must for someone who is not so sound in his financial condition or on whom a lot of others depend

financially. So, that's it dear.

For your info, neither my Xylo nor any of my previous 3 cars have any of these. These zigmos were not

there then. Moreover, I never ever felt the need for such stuff, as I am a very careful driver.

A very experienced driver at that.

Edited by rameshbabu.n

So how desirable is Push Start? As rameshbabu said earlier, doesn't it take away the fun of starting your car?

PUSH START is now a feature which is being given in most " non driver oriented " Cars like the Micra / Sunny too , i think if the Auto Manufacturers get innovative with the positioning of the START Button, like on the GEAR LEVER or next to the GEAR , or something like VOICE MODULATED / VOICE CONTROL engine start , it will get more engaging , & these features make more sense on performance cars.