Sign in to follow this  
kunal

Need advice on new Car

Hi All,

This is my first post as I am new to this forum!

I am looking to buy a new car in two months time, most probably in February,13.

Currently I am running a Maruti Zen petrol 2004.

My Budget is Rs 8lakhs

I drive 25kms on average everyday and 2-3 times in a year on highway from jaipur to delhi to kurukshetra and back.

Max time I drove alone as I will be using it for office commuting which is 12kms one-way.

I read all the possible reviews and still very much confused on three points:

1. Hatch or Sedan
  2. Petrol or Diesel
  3. Which is the perfect car for me?

I would really appreciate if I can get your valuable support in deciding on it.

There will be a template for your NEEDS in the first thread, fill it to give us better idea on what you need.

Based on your input, choose between Brio AT or Jazz. Period.

Whats your Budget - Rs 08.00L

Kms driven monthly - 1000 kms

Bodyshell - Hatch or Sedan (confused?)

City/Highway split - 85:15

Max No.of Passangers - 01 most of the time

Boot space Importance - medium as need only on highway

Usage by - Normal sometime enthu...

Ownership - City

Safety - High

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - Maruti and Hyundai

Whats your Budget - Rs 08.00L

Kms driven monthly - 1000 kms

Bodyshell - Hatch or Sedan (confused?)

City/Highway split - 85:15

Max No.of Passangers - 01 most of the time

Boot space Importance - medium as need only on highway

Usage by - Normal sometime enthu...

Ownership - City

Safety - High

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - Maruti and Hyundai

I agree with bala. Given your usage, luggage and passenger requirements, there's no point in getting a saloon; instead get a good premium hatch.

As for your commute - a 24km round trip means you should maybe consider diesel, but not necessarily. You'll have more fun driving the petrol and you'll save a lot on the buying price.

So... Leave the Brio - the boot is too small; you can do better on your budget (unless you simply must have an automatic).

Try the Jazz; it's easily the most practical car in the segment, it's great to drive and the mileage is pretty awesome for a petrol (although some people don't like the looks, so that's up to you).

But Honda's AfSS, while very good, can get expensive after a while. And since you mentioned Hyundai and Maruti...

There's the i20; lots of equipment (stick with petrol and it'll fit in your budget), but not very fun to drive at all.

Which leaves the Swift. Which is amazing. But... not quite as complete as the Jazz.

In conclusion, Swift for price, AfSS, looks and driving pleasure. Jazz for quality, space, practicality and FE.

With the kind of needs and pocket size, I would suggest you to look for:

• Honda Jazz
  • Dzire Zxi (only because you have boot needs so Dzire scores little more than Swift in this department)

Thanks for your advice, but i would like to ask as currently i am driving maruti zen 2004 model. And like the seating position in that and fun to drive as well.

I observed that i20 is a good bet in terms of feature loaded car but they say that its not good in terms of handling and driveability on high speed. If I compare its driveability with zen so how does it stand there? also petrol i20 has 1.2 lt engine and read that its very underpower. Can someone give me a comparison with other car in terms of power?

Secondly one of my friend told me to go for the base version of Skoda Rapid petrol as it is quite in my budget.

I drove new swift but i found it too cubersome and does not find spacious and airy cabin in terms of driver's perspective, also the interiors are not very inspired.

I would say get the Jazz. Its a hatch but its very spacious too. And it comes with fantastic engine which is not underpowered. Also what you get is Honda reliability. A.S.S is also good but might be slightly expensive than Maruti. Plus it comes with all the safety kit as well.

My vote goes for the Jazz. Happy shopping..

For a monthly driving of 750-800kms,

I'd suggest you to go for New Swift DZire ZXi petrol.

It's boot is neither too small & nor too large to pose problems in city driving.

Though it's of a size of a hatchback, but i having all the traits of a sedan, be it a Driving comfort, passenger comfort, Luxurious interiors, Rear seat comfort & Power-performance of an engine, with delivering a fuel efficiency of a hatchback.

Why waste the money on fuel in some other car, when you can reach the same destination with same comfort, feel with spending less on a fuel in DZire ZXi.

Still not convinced, then wait for Honda Brio Amaze sedan, though its launch may overshoot your buying date but it's worth the waiting.

Thanks for your advice, but i would like to ask as currently i am driving maruti zen 2004 model. And like the seating position in that and fun to drive as well.

I observed that i20 is a good bet in terms of feature loaded car but they say that its not good in terms of handling and driveability on high speed. If I compare its driveability with zen so how does it stand there? also petrol i20 has 1.2 lt engine and read that its very underpower. Can someone give me a comparison with other car in terms of power?

Secondly one of my friend told me to go for the base version of Skoda Rapid petrol as it is quite in my budget.

I drove new swift but i found it too cubersome and does not find spacious and airy cabin in terms of driver's perspective, also the interiors are not very inspired.

Hii, Kunal

I don't think i20 petrol is too underpowered. Its very well refined, Less noisy. My friend owns a i20 sportz petrol and i have driven it many times and find it very well. It clocks 50-60 kmph in 2nd gear as compared to my XUV which clocks 60kmph in 2nd gear. So its not too underpowered. As you R not an enthusiast so its fine. But as your budget is 8 lacs you can go for the i20 crdi which is I THINK the best diesel engine in INDIA.

And SKODA RAPID base model is not good for you as it has less features as its base so don't stick to it.

And as U said SWIFT is less spacious and less VFM.

don't look at JAZZ as its looks were very bulky. in my opinion.

GO FOR i20...