PrancingHorse

Jeep and Chrysler coming to India. But will Fiat make it work?

Im super thrilled that the Jeep brand is coming to India soon. I remember the time when way back in 1993 the Cherokee was supposed to enter the country through Mahindra. I still dont know why that didnt work out. Now its coming for sure with the Jeep and Chrysler brands now owned by Fiat. But I do have my concerns. Fiat makes great cars but their After Sales Service and Spares network has a bad reputation. Thats the reason for the dismal sale of Fiat products in India. I just hope this is not the case when these two American brands are launched here. Fiat have a lot of work to do on that front. Do you think the launch of Jeep and Chrysler will change Fiats fortunes in India? Will owners get good service? I think only time will . But I cant wait to see the Grand Cherokee officially sold here

What do you guys think?

If FIAT/Chrysler are looking for mass sales then pricing will be the key. If they are looking for upscale clientele, still pricing will be the key. I'd love to own a Willy's Jeep if it's priced competitively with great VFM.

As the Cherokee is built on the same platform as the M-Class so even if the car is priced at 45L ex-showroom for the Diesel V6 it will undercut the ML by a good 10L & for people who understand cars the Cherokee would make more sense over the ML.

Due to JV with mahindra, jeep brand is so popular in india, that every SUV is knowned as JEEP here! but they are too late now, brands like Land Rover & Mitsubishi has gained customer faith in India & they will prove to be very tough compititors! & as such Fiat brand doesn't have any good reputation in India & if they are going to sell through same system, it's sales figure will sink to the greatest heights! they'll have to setup a compeletly new sales & service network here, which may be a difficult job, but it'll prove very usefull in future! Another fact they should bring there whole product range here in order to grab a stable position in Indian market!

Fiat is picking up the pieces , its presence is a mere .7% as against the 22% i read in a post on an other thread on the same topic.

They plan over 200 plus dedicated stores in 200 plus cities by mid 2013.

Some of the alliances india centric models would be in the range of 10-15 lakhs and be available by 2015.

ML250CDI is priced at a very competitive level that's undercutting even the likes of Q5 and X3.

Secondly, this Grand Cherokee is built on the prev-gen (2nd Generation) M-class platform and not the latest one.

So now we will soon have all three M-Class platforms on sale in India

1st generation.. that underpinns the Rexton

2nd gen... that'll soon be here with the Jeep GC

3rd gen.. the new M-Class itself!

FIAT Service suffered because of its Ahead of the time technology(remember Drive-by-wire tech in Palio D in 2003) with complex mechanicals & low sales volumes, which never justified the extensive service personnel & widespread service network. Lets hop things might change when they come in alliance as the trio.

Secondly, this Grand Cherokee is built on the prev-gen (2nd Generation) M-class platform and not the latest one.

So now we will soon have all three M-Class platforms on sale in India

1st generation.. that underpinns the Rexton

2nd gen... that'll soon be here with the Jeep GC

3rd gen.. the new M-Class itself!

Actually, the current Grand Cherokee uses the current, third-gen M-class platform (W166), not the second, and the Jeep was the debut car for the platform - before the M-class was released.

The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK Class- just what I'd like to own, when I have the cash or credit. FIAT is one of the smarter automotive companies or conglomerates, to have turned around struggling Chrysler, but they've not been smart at all in India. I wouldn't expect them to dent the German/British SUV customer base, but they can take away plenty of Fortuner/Yeti/CRV/Endeavour customers with the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and Jeep Compass. It's a long shot expecting the Grand Cherokee to do great numbers here.

FIAT is well known for producing some tough breed of cars like uno,palio,punto and linea. Fiat's technology is well reflected in the engines like Multijet, Tjet, FIRE etc which have revolutionized the automobile sector. Multijet engine is outsourced by Maruti for Dzire, Swift, Ritz, Ertiga, SX4 and by TATA for its Vista and Manza.

Fiat suffers only because of its JV with TATA Motors for after sales and service. But now Fiat is opening its very own exclusive showrooms in India, hence now buyers should be confident enough for Chrysler and Jeep brands !

Autocar India's fist drive of the soon to come Grand Cherokee

So the GRAND Cherokee is coming. But what about the Cherokee (i.e. the ugly jeep liberty replacement) ? Isnt that the CRZ competitor ? IMO in that segment will be an interesting entry the Cherokee.