Arjun_M

After-sales service across brands in India

Just how good is after-sales service of different brands in India? Who does it best, who's caught up well, and which brands are stuck with donkeys in the workshop? A common thread is that Maruti have the best, Fiat, one of the worst, but there may be more.

Maruti's service has often been a selling point, though their cars are inferior to the competing offerings from other brands, but now we find a few service stations just living off the reputation. You can, in some time, locate poor Maruti service stations, but it often doesn't get noticed. Hyundai service, also comparable to Maruti's, now seems to have an increasing blot count, but hardly enough to discredit the brand.

Let's look at Fiat. The same brand, infamous for poor service, was recently second only to Maruti on that scale in one survey- ironically, then-partner Tata was way below! I even asked a friend's driver, who drives that friend's Punto, about the Fiat service, and he told me it is quite good, prices are reasonable and work is of a good quality. That, apparently, is a huge thumbs-up for the brand.

Toyota service puts a smile on the owners' faces. The value for money per car, though, wouldn't

Honda, for a volume player, I find, has poor after-sales service, and spares are a problem- limited stock, rising prices, but the quality of spares has been decent. I've heard the service costs are also less than most other brands but the quality of service isn't very good. Honda, and most Japanese companies, seem to be a lot less customer-friendly here in India.

Skoda and parent company VW are stereotypes for dreadful service, to the point that you get the feeling they don't care about Indian customers at all. Some practices of this group are fraudulent and outright nasty. Donkeys, but with their own, fickle minds.

Ford is a brand I'm looking forward to own, but service reports are 50-50. Fine, so the quality is there in the service, but prices and waiting time for spares would be a turn-off. I haven't read about any incident, or too many complaints, and Ford is a volume player.

Say Ta Ta to the company that makes the Aria, Safari, Vista and Manza if you want peace of mind with service. We've had inconsistency in service to the point where the same dealership has very happy and also very disgruntled customers!

If anyone has enough experience about after-sales of the brand owned, do type it in. I'd like to know what ACI members say about after-sales service, or donkeys, depending upon the experience.

Ford is a brand I'm looking forward to own, but service reports are 50-50. Fine, so the quality is there in the service, but prices and waiting time for spares would be a turn-off. I haven't read about any incident, or too many complaints, and Ford is a volume player.

I'm owning a Fiesta 1.6 SXI (now known as classic) for 2 & half years & unfortunately mate 2 major accidents in which vehicles (1st time a Sumo & Secondly a Tavera) behind me crashed on my car & that too arround 100Kmph & in both cases only tailgates & rear bumper dameged (thanks to it's tank like built quality!) dameged & I've got my car fixed within 4 days! (insurence & all other formalities were performed by themselves, I just handed over my car & driving lisence to them & on the 4th day I've collected my car by paying remaining ammount & processing fees arround 2k!) thats really great, as mine SXI trim was there for only limited period of time & was only trim to offer with chrome stripe on tailgate, but those guys maneged to get it! & in regular services also, the guys are awsome! from major accident repairs to the interior cleaning (Ford service centers has a special cleaning expert from 3M), they've always done satisfactory job @ that too at really affordable cost! (way cheaper than Maruti SX4, Honda City or Hyundai Verna!)

Have owned a 02 Tata Sumo since 1995 and service back then was through a bucket of water and return the car Autoriders were the dealers if I remember. Second one was a bit better.

In 2009 shifted to a Innova instead of a Safari.Service with Shinrai Toyota except for the external washing and cleaning have no complains. Two services 6 month interval.Annual driving 7000km cost about Rs.8500/- per year for service.

Below are my own experiences and in order as mentioned below:

Toyota - Excellent

Having experienced them for 2 yrs, i am very much satisfied with their professionalism, quality and cost effectiveness.

These guys seems to be knowing their job very well. Also, since their service centers are not so crowded as compared to others so it's not like a kumbh mela kind of stuff.

Maruti - Very Good

Have experienced it for almost more than 12 yrs now and as always, they have been very cost effective and efficient. But of late i have experienced a dip in quality, might be due to ever so crowded service stations.

Hyundai - Good

Have experienced it for around 8 yrs. Good overall coverage but cost wise i think it's pretty expensive. The service guys always seems to extract maximum money from the customers. Also, i have faced at least a couple of incidences in which their carelessness might have resulted in my car catching fire or a major accident.

Tata - Average to Poor

Have experienced it for around 5 yrs. I would say that only saving grace for them is their not so expensive spare parts and their availability. Apart from that, it always seems to be inconsistent, with poor coordination and execution.

I own a maruti and it has a very good services atleast in Delhi. Service stations are good, you get the best solution without adding up on your bills.

Hyundai service is also known as my friend owns a i10, spare parts are costly and but services are good

Sadly my experience with my WagonR is not all that good. :(

During first year, that car was involved in a minor accident(it hit the divider at slow speed) due to that the bumper alignment got spoiled. So I had align the bumper and replace a good working headlight only because a piece of plastic holding the screws broke! the whole thing cost me about 19k if a remember

then there is a clutch belt(or some thing with similar name) that i had to fix innumerable times as it squeaks

then there is the locking system that has failed twice apparently due to rust....thankfully only one door was jammed in both cases

Sadly my experience with my WagonR is not all that good. :(

This applies to me as well. Perhaps what I have observed is that MS Service Stations/staff discreminates based on the model that you drive in.

For example, in my case, I have M800 2007 model, which has just done 22K till today, however, when i take the car to service station (Apra Auto Sec 14, GGN), they just treat like poor guy.

However, on the other side, I serviced my new Ritz 2012 Ldi to Rana Motors (near Honda Chowk GGN), and I got very good treatment there. Both in terms of Service quality and behavioural.

So i think Maruti service these days is not different then TATA if you have a M800 and it is as good as Toyota if you have Dzire/Swift/Ritz or highers.

Edited by Sstar

I have experienced services with Maruti earlier. I used to drive a Zen Automatic. Though I was satisfied with the overall experience, its unfortunate that even the authorized service centres were not knowledgeable about ATs. I dont know the situation now

With Honda its been good. My car goes to a only one A.S.S and I have one fixed service advisor who takes care of my car. Plus I share a good relationship with the staff there so my car is personally attended to and I am allowed to be with my car in the workshop to look over the work done as well. Im pretty much happy with them