dr_nishu

Hyundai i20 Compact sedan to arrive in 2013

post-67-0-87425500-1356453437.jpg

Hyundai India is working on the sedan variant for i20.We have already informed our readers on the previous post about the i20 sedan .Hyundai i20 is going to replace the aging old Hyundai Accent sedan.Hyundai Accent was one of the big hits for Hyundai in India.But Now Accent has become so old to compete in the market.All its competitors are either new or new generation.

Swift Dzire is the main competitor for Accent.Also Hyundai Accent doesn’t come with a diesel engine.So the numbers are limited.Like the Brio and swift Hyundai will attach a boot to the i20 rear.But i20 is already a big hatch and almost 4 meters in length.So Attaching the boot must be a complicated thing that the Hyundai engineers must get it correct.

Compact sedan segment in India is one of the fastest growing segment.Hyundai is one of the major manufactures who are yet to join the battle.Hyundai i20 is already popular for its uber cool design and features.Hyundai i20 sedan will get almost all the features of the hatch back.Hyundai i20 sedan has both petrol and diesel engine options.1.4 L diesel and petrol option.Hyundai i20 sedan will be launched in 2013 at the end of the year.

(Autogadget.com)

They have recently launched HB20 globally & now working on another car in cs segment! Similarly, in addition to dezire, MS wants to bring A-Star based sedan! Well Though this segment is in boom now, I don't think this segment will do well in future! As it's just a compramise for a sedan which is working in Show-Off loving country like us & as people will gain enough maturity (May be in next 5 years) this segment will be overshadowed by estates!

Looks good atleast from this angle shown here. The 1.4 diesel is a good motor . This should take the Etios, DZire, Sunny and Verito head one. But the i20 is one expensive hatch and pricing will be very cruicial for this one to succeed. Cant wait to see what the real car looks like

i20 sedan is looking good. ONly slight difference is present in the car as compared to Verna and Elantra(price tag is different). Verna is a big hit here in India, and you can get Elantra if you want to spend a bit high. The thing is the price of this car.

If this car is placed below the Verna and at a very competitive price, I think it will get a certain amount of attention from the customers.

Should eat up into the Verna sales for sure.

Also today Verna is going into 12-13 Lakh category ( which was earlier CIVIC category) & i see this new i20 sedan will slowly be pushed into the Vedrna category i.e. 8-9 L segment

^ I think we as consumers are " just being played "

Does Looks good !!! Fluidic culture has done good to Hyundai designs.

However i feel the best adaptation of the Fluidic design was showcased in the Sonata & all the other cars are just wanna be Fluidic

This sedan cannot be a replacement of the Accent coz the proce difference is really huge, you cant get a decent i20 in 5 lakhs let alone a sedan version of the same.

if priced according to expectation would cetainly eat into Vernas space.

There is a small window between the i20 and Vernas pricing , if they take that slot then it cannot be termed as an Accent replacement as the mass appeals of owing a sedan goes away as the price inches north.

They certainly will not compromise with the safety features to bring the price down of the sedan and risk losing the NCAP rating or will they.

Can anyone elaborate on the interior space of the i20 with respect to that of the Verna , this could be a deciding factor ...on how much success this sedan can taste

yeah.. looks good.. will be pricey to get and I honestly feel Hyundai should not look at a sub-4 m vehicle especially with the i20.

That car is already just a few cms less than 4m. While the picture here looks good.. this will definitely be longer than 4m.

Given that i20 hatch itself is a pricey car, this is sure going to go into the "sedan" price category despite being a sub-4m..

8-9 lacs for a sub-4m car is definitely too much!!!

Not another compact sedan, please! I'd rather have the i30 than this. Fine, the old Accent needs to be phased out, but a more appropriate move would be to reduce the price of the Verna and take it below the Honda City price levels instead. The Verna is a more prominent global car, while the HB20 is being marketed only in certain emerging markets. I'm fed up of compact sedans. Give us long fastback hatches instead!

i20 sedan can replace Accent in no way...why is Hyundai not bringing cars like HB20 to compete with Dzire instead of this gamble?

Not another compact sedan, please! I'd rather have the i30 than this.

i30 is hatch version of Elantra...so lets say it would start from 12L in India assuming they chop only the boot not any other tech.

Hatchbacks are entry level cars according Indian mindset(why wouldnt one buy a top-spec Vento instead of i30 anyways) so chances are slim that i30 is coming to India

i30 is hatch version of Elantra...so lets say it would start from 12L in India assuming they chop only the boot not any other tech.

Hatchbacks are entry level cars according Indian mindset(why wouldnt one buy a top-spec Vento instead of i30 anyways) so chances are slim that i30 is coming to India

Fair, i30 is a long shot here, but then, this village mindset of the Indians would dictate against paying big for a small car. The i30 is not a small car by any stretch of imagination. It's bigger than most sedans here, including the Verna. Anyway, I wasn't pushing for the i30 as much as the Verna hatch. Both would anyway make much more sense as urban cars, where passenger room is more important than boot space.

This is Rendering pic(by me) of upcoming/speculated i20 Compact Sedan.

post-67-0-50699600-1356544369_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-47873600-1356544223_thumb.jpg

The Rendered car is based on the exact dimensions as of i20 hatchback i.e 3995mm.

I've kept its dimensions exactly same from scale to scale even in picture editor & that's why left the part of radio antenna of hatchback on the top of the pic, to describe how the compact sedan dimensions can be accomodated in the existing hatchback setup.

(source of the donation pic: Google)

Edited by dr_nishu

Further '????' for Hyundai i20 Compact sedan & for its success here are:

1) Hyundai is having almost no free length or just 5mm to accomodate boot in the existing dimensions setup of i20 hatchback, so it makes the challenge for Hyundai designers to design the car, without losing on looks & its characteristics.

Even i kept the latter(even wheelbase) same while designing the rendering above.

2) No doubt i20 is a donor car for this compact sedan but the main thing is that i20 hatchback itself is even more expensive than many entry level sedans itself, like Mahindra Verito, Mahindra Verito(even more cheaper sub 4m), Ford Classic, MS Swift DZire.

So the question is that how i20 CS can rival them, as it's going to be slightly more expensive than i20 hatchback.

Over to you guys.

This is poor speculation from ACI because the i20 is almost equal to 4m in length and while the accent costs around 6 lakhs the i10 top end costs 6.5 lakhs itself . Also anyways the Verna is available with 1.4lt diesel and petrol engine which is priced at a level similar to top end i20 hatchback . I don't think Hyundai will experiment with awkward styling especially because it fluidic design is an international trademark (even for a local market) .

Personally, I dont thing Hyundai would bring in a sub 4M sedan in the category. I mean if this had been the case then they would have followed the same path as MS and M&M are on to..that it too a long back ago.

Secondly, since i20 is a premium hatch and no such attempts have been made by Hyundai to make it affordable in Indian market, thus introducing a sedan on the its platform, would not be a good strategy from their side. And in fact it has impact on i20 hatch and Verna sedan sales charts

+1 Sstar...

I'd say it'll be great if they get a good sedan here. A sub-4m will kill the offering!! Can they not just look at a Accent spec level and still offer a proper sedan.. at least as big as the Accent?

It will hit both the i20 and Verna sales for sure.. but hey, it'll go in Hyundai's kitty rite?